Birth Pangs?

Hello,

I am curious what the church teaches about the birth pangs of Mary. I thought that because Mary was born without original sin she felt no pain while giving birth to Jesus; does the church speak to this issue at all? How does this fit with "She was with child and wailed aloud in pain as she labored to give birth” (see [/font]Revelation 12:2)?

Thank you and may God Bless you

Joe M

Revelation 12:2 follows the pattern of multiple meanings in the images observed by John throughout the book of Revelation. The woman clothed with sun has three levels of meaning. On one level it refers to the blessed virgin Mary, on another it refers to Israel, and on yet another it refers to the Church. It is for this reason that some of the content of Revelation 12 may seem problematic if we attempt to apply all of it to Mary. The same holds true when we apply it “all” to Israel, or when we apply it “all” to the Church.

This is one of the beautiful things about scripture. It has tremendous depth and it can be studied from many different angles to reveal many facets of God’s plan of salvation. This is especially true in apocalyptic writings. Try reading Chapter 12 with the woman representing each of the given layers. Consider the woman as representing Mary, and then go back and read it as if the woman represents Israel, and then finally as the Church.

The phrase concerning birth pangs may not apply to Mary but to Israel or the Church. Or it may indeed apply to Mary, but on a different level then physical pain. Afterall, she knew that she was going to give birth to the Messiah and probably knew from OT prophecy what this would mean for him. A mother would certainly agonize over the prospects of what would happen to her son.

I was taught that Mary did not suffer birth pains, that Christ’s birth was somehow mystical and painless, and that her physical virginity was preserved ie, Christ did not pass through her birth canal.

cheddar

[quote=cheddarsox]I was taught that Mary did not suffer birth pains, that Christ’s birth was somehow mystical and painless, and that her physical virginity was preserved ie, Christ did not pass through her birth canal.

cheddar
[/quote]

I read in a book that Mary’s Virginity can be likened to a diamond that light passes through.

The light passes through the diamond, but the diamond doesn’t break up, it stays intact, just like Mary’s Virginity.

Then again, Jesus is the Light of the world.

The church does not have a definitive teaching on this topic.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.