Birthdate of Jesus?

So while at work a friend asked me if the Church knew when Christ was born. I told him that I wasn’t sure nor did I believe the Church knows of an exact date. Well another friend was walking by and was asked the same question (he is lds) and his response was April 6. So do any of our lds posters know of this? It was the first time I ever heard this in my life.

April 6 comes from the date that the church (LDS) was originally organized. Talmage’s book has a chapter and a verse that states that Jesus was born on April 6, B.C 1. Talmage didn’t randomly select that time, he gets it from Section 20 of the D&C which states this,

“The rise of The Church of Christ in these last days, being one thousand eight hundred and thirty years since the coming of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ in the flesh, it (the church) being regularly organized and established agreeable to the laws of our country, by the will and commandments of God, in the fourth month, and on the sixth day of the month which is called April.”

Through some interpretation and “praying” the majority of the church believes that this is Christ telling us exactly when he came into this world, at the precise date that the church was organized. Hope this helps.

Oh and December 5 is also a common one, people like J. Reuben Clark, a counselor in the first presidency at the time, and Bruce R. McConkie (need i clarify who he was?) all claim that Christ was born on December 5.

Cheers,
The Irishmen

Thanks Irish. That helped a lot.

While we can’t be sure of the exact date, there apparently was a tradition apparently in Judaism of the "integral age’ of prophets. According to this tradition, a great prophet’s death took place on the date of his conception.

Early Christian (3rd century) theologians thought that Jesus had been crucified on Friday, March 25, AD 29. . .and if Christ died on the date of his conception, then He would have been born on --wait for it–DECEMBER 25.

Actually, March 25 AD 29 wasn’t a Friday, and Jesus may have been crucified in AD 27 or 28 anyway, but it’s interesting to know that well before "Constantine’ and the supposed ‘takeover’ and ‘paganization’ with the ‘solstice’ choice, the feast of Christ’s birth had been set at December 25 anyway. . .Also apparently the Epiphany (January 6), our ‘twelfth day’ of Christmas, was celebrated before Christmas itself was.

There is nothing ‘against’ choosing this day, and some elements ‘in favor’, but it’s not necessary for our salvation that we absolutely know the correct date of Jesus’ birth in order to celebrate it.

December 25th, 1 A.D.

Anyone who claims otherwise is a Modernist. Anathema Sit! :smiley:

That’s what I have read as well. It’s been designated at the feast day of St. Dismas (the good thief) based on this line of thinking I suppose.

People have been discussing this for years and years and years and years and years and years and years and they’ll keep discussing it for a few years more.

Just don’t forget to send Him a Birthday card BEFORE the date! It is really lame to miss Birthdays. And never b late for Mass! Sheesh. :wink:

Glenda

His birthday was propably in 4 BC, or as early as 7 BC. :smiley:

I have heard everything from 6 BC- 1 BC.

I know, I was just kidding. Pope Benedict argues for c. 6 B.C. :thumbsup:

Here’s a video showing how the Church knows the date of Christ’s birth.

youtube.com/watch?v=bAOFEDGp3ec

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.