Birthdays...not sure how to react

Ok I'm usually not so sensitive to things like this but I find it kind of insulting that at a company I've worked at over a decade they are celebrating two other birthdays (belated) but nothing for me today which is my birthday. Not even a lame card. I'm taking the higher road and ignoring slight but even so isn't just kind of rude. I think I'll pass on celebrating the other two. Am I being immature here. :confused::shrug:

First off... HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!! :D

Anyway... I guess it really depends on the culture of where you work. I don't think my close co-workers know when my birthday is... we don't discuss this or bring it up. Sometimes it'll come up in conversation - such as, "My husband is taking me out to dinner tomorrow for my birthday."... and then they'll chime in and suggest we go out to lunch as a group to celebrate. So it's spur of the moment and never planned... NEVER a card or anything like that...
So that's just my experience...

My only guess is that maybe they're behind on celebrations... especially if they're covering 2 belated birthdays today... maybe they're doing something belated for you too??? :shrug:
Are you sure they know it's your birthday today? Maybe bring it up and make it a joke??... Innocently say "Hey, ya'll threw this party for ME!?! HOW SWEET!" :p

Don't get too insulted... assume they either forgot or have intentions to celebrate later... :thumbsup:

Happy Birthday Sierrah!

This is sort of like that movie, Sixteen Candles. Are you the next Molly Ringwald!

Sorry about this-it can't feel good...

Happy Birthday Sierrah! :cake:

I feel your pain, something simular happened to me. All of my family and friends around me had someone give them a 50th birthday party. That was a couple of years ago and I was very hurt. I guess now I am claiming the verse "The first shall be last and the last shall be first! Matthew 20:16 The Lord will have a big party for you in heaven.

Yes, Happy Birthday!!! :)

I agree that I wouldn't necessarily jump to the conclusion that it was an intentional slight against you. If the evidence pointing to it being intentional is conclusive, then I think it best to say a prayer and let it go.

Different places definitely do birthdays differently. My FIL has to bring treats in for everyone else on his birthday (as does everyone on their birthday). I guess they figure it's easier for people to remember their own birthday and to keep people's contributions equitable. We don't really do anything for birthdays where I work.

Happy birthday!

I don't worry about stuff like that in the workplace anymore--it's really not worth it. My company, as part of their policy, used to set aside funds for people to officially celebrate milestone anniversaries with the company. The last one on which I was entitled to a celebration, there was $200 allocated to me. I started making arrangements, but then the site manager (who was required to be at and "oversee" the event) started putting all sorts of ridiculous stipulations on it, to the point where, after inviting the people he insisted on having there, I wouldn't have been able to invite all four of the people I wanted there (I was supposed to be able to invite a total of 9 others of my choosing). I finally told him I'd do it on my own then file an expense report, which was a perfectly valid option according to HR. He told me to go right ahead, but then pointed out that he was in charge of approving expense reports. Bottom line is that I missed out on my anniversary luncheon while he pocketed the $200. There have been other things since then (mostly birthday related), but that one made me quit worrying about things like that at work.

Happy Birthday!!

:flowers: :cake:

Happy Birthday, don't think my days have ever been noted by co-workers, employers or anyone else, nor do I much care, but if your company makes a point of it, they should include everyone--or no one.

[quote="Sierrah, post:1, topic:250803"]
Ok I'm usually not so sensitive to things like this but I find it kind of insulting that at a company I've worked at over a decade they are celebrating two other birthdays (belated) but nothing for me today which is my birthday. Not even a lame card. I'm taking the higher road and ignoring slight but even so isn't just kind of rude. I think I'll pass on celebrating the other two. Am I being immature here. :confused::shrug:

[/quote]

Happy birthday!

And you can celebrate the other two people's. After all, they aren't the ones who chose to ignore yours. :)

There'd be a million of sarcastic ways to point out the company's oversight but I'm not sure you want to get your hands dirty like that. After all, it's better to be above petty vengeance.

On the other hand, if the company has a track record of respecting only select people (selected on whatever basis, from random to active assertion by those selected), then you may want to think about finding a new employer. But there's the grass is always greener effect, which means once you find a new employer, you might regret your decision when it turns out it's not that great with the new company.

Plus, yeah, they may wake up late and throw a belated party for you too.

Happy Birthday!

Happy Birthday!!!!! :)

The way my company has solved this is they have Birthday cake one day a month with a reception at a nice local hotel for all the employees that have birthdays in that month a certain amount of money is allotted for this and everyone who works for the company is invited.

Are you sure the "right people" know or remember? My boss and i were filing paperwork last year and the file had the birthday of a worker....who'd worked there for 7 years. It was that day and we'd forgotton.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.