'Bisexual' teacher invites students to same-sex ceremony

‘Bisexual’ teacher invites students to same-sex ceremony

A self-proclaimed bisexual male teacher in New York has invited his seventh-grade students and their parents to witness his commitment ceremony to another man.
The New York Times reports 32-year-old Chance Nalley gave slips of paper to his entire seventh-grade class at Columbia Secondary School, inviting them to the upcoming ceremony to be held at St. Paul’s Chapel on the campus of Columbia University on April 4. Nalley teaches math, science, and engineering at the school – “whose mission statement includes a commitment to diversity,” notes the Times. Nalley reportedly obtained his principal’s support before coming out to his students in the fall of 2007, when the school opened.

more…

How is this going to educate the students about “diversity”?

Does this make anyone else cringe like it does me??? More reasons to pray for this man and the scandal he is creating for these children.

Originally, I wouldn’t mind this. But, they should really be fair and also give children the opportunity to see a heterosexual couple getting married. :slight_smile:

Ironically Yours, Blade and Blood

I think you make a good point. Heterosexual marriage is so rare these days, kids probably never even imagine it. Heck, it’s not even portrayed on television or in movies anymore! Heterosexuals deserve equal rights.

What are you talking about? Heterosexuals have had more than equal rights. I should know, I’m one of 'em. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ironically Yours. :heart:

What do you consider a ‘right’ Blade and Blood and from where do you get the definition of ‘right’ that you use?

What’s the problem exactly? The teacher’s not forcing anyone to go to his ceremony.

A right is a liberty, a privelege, and, if you want to get spiritual, a gift. :slight_smile: I get my definition from the Webster’s New Pocket Thesaurus. :smiley:

Ironically Yours. :heart:

The problem is that homosexual desires are “disordered.” Homosexual sex activity is an abomination to God. Would it be right for a teacher to take their students to a strip club or to watch a man purchase a hooker and expect our blessing? :frowning:

:rolleyes: They’re not taking kids to see a same-sex couple having sex-- yikes! :eek: It’s just a ceremony. :shrug:

It’s not just a ceremony. It’s a commitment ceremony. Commitment to what? Isn’t it sex? If it was friendship, why would they have a ceremony?

Uh, yeah, most likely. Not even heterosexuals marry for the sole purpose of having sex, and neither do homosexuals. You should know that. :tsktsk:

That’s not true. Plenty of heterosexuals marry mostly in order to have sex. :eek::o:confused::shrug::eek: Isn’t the stereotype, men trade love (and marriage) for sex and women trade sex for love? No smoke without a fire. For example, why did Jacob want to marry Rachel in the Old Testament. Because she was beautiful. Or all of Solomon’s wives. :eek:

And I shouldn’t know this. :eek: I try my best not to susbcribe to false and untrue liberal ideology (often lies) just because it is politically correct and popular to do so. Moral character involves having an ethical base that is independent of the fads of public opinion.

Whatever the reasons that heterosexuals decide on exclusivity are probably the same reasons for a commitment ceremony for members of the same sex.
As a single person I have no idea what these reasons are.

I don’t need to know the reasons or understand it. I let GOD decide. I listen to GOD. I listen to Sacred Scripture, the Magisterium, and Sacred Tradition and respect the practices of almost every single culture around the world throughout almost all time. :eek::eek::eek:

Well, that’s where it becomes an epic fail. Stereotypes give you a nice kick in giving you an idea of how things are done, but that’s quite the old stereotype. If people want sex, they’ll get it. These days, people aren’t that much of a sad lot; men do marry for love and sex; women marry for love and sex. It’s not much of a trade-off; both go together equally, for the most part.

(It’s notable, however, that many lesbian couples lead abstinent lives. :shrug:)

My partner and I have been together for over nine years, we have never had sex before or after our ceremony.

Our public school system is run by the government, so it is secular. If you send your child to a public school in America then you are sending them to a secular institution that is not required to teach the parents’ values.

The invitation does not bother me because the child is not forced to attend the wedding. I would guess that the kids know that their teacher is homosexual or bisexual already. :shrug:

I read that in some European countries the parent gets to choose their child’s public school regardless of where they live. Government money follows the child. If a school doesn’t appeal to enough parents then it closes down. That leaves only the best schools running. A religious parent could chose a school, I am guessing, that is more reflective of their believes and a secular parent could chose a school reflective of their beliefs. I think that would be much more fair for everyone.

for any teacher ,regardless of their sexuality, to invite their students to such a ceremony is wrong.
it seems very unprofessional to me

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.