Bishop affirms that traditional Mass unites Church in worship

I think this article is pretty noteworthy because it comes from the Secretary of the Congregation for Divine Worship.

catholicnewsagency.com/news/bishop-affirms-that-traditional-mass-unites-church-in-worship/

Vatican City, Feb 18, 2014 / 12:13 am (CNA/EWTN News).- During a recent interview, Archbishop Arthur Roche spoke on the significance of the Traditional Latin Mass, explaining that the Mass nourishes us, and that the special rite brings us together in a unique way.

“It’s a common language, as it were, that brings us together, that holds us together,” the archbishop noted during a Feb. 13 interview with CNA, adding that “the Latin Mass…is a beautiful expression of the worship of God.”

Archbishop Arthur Roche is the Secretary of the Congregation for Divine Worship, and is helping to organize a special conference commemorating the 50th anniversary of Pope Paul VI’s apostolic constitution “Sacrosanctum Concilium.”

“Sacrosanctum Concilium” is the Second Vatican Council’s Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy, which was promulgated by Pope Paul VI in 1963 in order to foster a greater participation of lay people in the Mass by allowing them to hear the Gospel proclaimed in their own language. It also promoted a greater use of Gregorian chant.

During the conference, running from Feb. 18 – Feb. 20 and which has been organized by the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, experts will discuss the impact the constitution has had in reforming the order of Mass and how Mass is said.

Archbishop Roche observed that the most important thing is to keep the Eucharist at the center, because “the Eucharist itself creates community because it is Christ who shares himself abundantly.”

“The act of worship is something that we do together for God. It is not something that is simply expressive of ourselves” he emphasized, stating that “It is expressive of our love for God; our response to his greatness, to his goodness for us, to the wonderful mercy that he gives to us.”

If we maintain this view, the archbishop noted, it creates community, “because first of all, we attend Mass because we are in need. We are there because we need to be fed.”

Recalling how Jesus in the Gospel stated that “unless you eat of this bread, and drink of this blood, you shall not have life within you,” Archbishop Roche reiterated that “we go to be fed,” and “we go to become more like Christ, and that itself creates a wonderful communion.”

Speaking of the Traditional Latin Mass, the archbishop highlighted that it “will always be a part of the Roman rite” because it maintains “the language in which the Roman rite is written - whether it be the ordinary or indeed the extraordinary form.”

“It is the way in which the Church expresses itself,” he explained, observing how there has been an increase in use of Gregorian chant during Mass, “especially at international events.”

Drawing attention to the special international reach of the city of Rome, Archbishop Roche went on to say that “people from throughout the world, from every continent and from the different hemispheres, come together to share Mass and are joined together in that common expression of the singing of the Latin part of the Mass.”

Turning his attention to Pope Francis take on the rite, the archbishop explained that “the Pope hasn’t expressed anything about the extraordinary form nor in fact about the ordinary form either.”

However, he “is a very open man, as you know, and a very fair minded man,” the archbishop noted, and is someone who “when he celebrates Mass, as is visibly seen, is taken up in what he is doing, is very attentive, and very recollected in the celebration of the Mass.”

“And that’s the important thing,” Archbishop Roche stated, “it’s the function of Peter to hold the Church in unity and he will be more aware of that than I am.”

Participants of the conference will have the opportunity to meet with Pope Francis on Wed. Feb. 19 during his weekly General Audience."

So…what is it you think that he said that was so interesting.?
He appears to be sitting on both sides of the aisle.
Can you elaborate?

I have never understood why translating the words of the Mass are such a sticking point for people. If a “common language” is the idea…then Latin is certainly not common. I grew up with the Latin Mass. Don’t miss it one bit. It seemed more pious to me, yes. But that’s a whole different issue. Liturgical abuse is a whole other story. And the attitudes of people going to Mass has really changed. In both directions. Singing in Latin at International events? Well sure. One size fits all for an accomplished Schola choir. But in mainstream parishes, we don’t see (hear) it.
Do you envision that everything will change? That we will return to Latin, the priest will turn away from the people, and chant will become the norm?
I’m asking because I think that would take a miracle of miracles for that to come to pass.
For those things to be implemented across the board.
And I wonder if everyone in the Church (the American church at least) would welcome it?
Just a few thoughts…I’m not trying to be obtuse or argumentative…
Peace,
pianist

I think if you read carefully, it seems that His Excellency understood “Latin Mass” to mean “the Mass in Latin,” as later on in his answer to the question he distinguishes between the Ordinary and Extraordinary forms.

-ACEGC

Yes, I got that.

we need to stop dividing the body of christ over things like this. both masses are valid. i’ve said this a million times on hre but i think we can’t rule out the possibility that the pope knew what he was doing in regards to the reform, that the church was already having problems at the time and needed something to change. if you like the ef mass, go to it. if the of mass is for you, go to it. as long as their are no abuses happening, let’s not all get tied up in a knot about it.

:thumbsup:

“It’s a common language, as it were, that brings us together, that holds us together,” the archbishop noted during a Feb. 13 interview with CNA, adding that “the Latin Mass…is a beautiful expression of the worship of God.”

Good for the bishop. Every Pope since Pope Victor I has recognized the immortality of the Latin language. This could apply to either form of the Mass. Or all forms for that matter.

Check out this video.

youtube.com/watch?v=kPE4EqMm2cg

Some one very high up in the CDW made positive comments about the use of Latin in the Mass (regardless of which form he is referring to), which in my opinion is positive and noteworthy, particularly right now.

Yes, I think he is probably referring to the use of Latin in the OF. In my opinion, this is probably just as important as the EF itself.

One problem is that not everyone that wants to attend the EF is able to. I happen to live by a reguler EF so it’s not a problem for me, but many people have to travel long distances or simply cannot attend. Also, practically speaking, the use of Latin in the OF would probably be helpful in preventing liturgical abuses.

Whether he is referring to the OF, the EF, or both, this comment was (IMO) positive and, since it came from someone high up in the CDW, also important.

It’s important to those who want to make the Latin language primary.
My contention is that most US Catholics would appear to not hold that same opinion. That’s all. :shrug:
It must depend on the demographic. Where I live, no one is longing for it to return.
I’ve asked many priests about it. Without exception they say:
“I don’t speak Latin, and I’m not anxious to begin”. “I’m not interested in it. I was trained to shepherd my flock in English. That is where I am comfortable.”
Lay people have said to me “If they bring back latin, I’m out.”
:eek:
Of course whatever the Pope decides, we’ll be obedient.
But I don’t think it’s going to change…could be wrong…:hmmm:

Speaking generally of the US, the demographics for the EF are growing relatively quickly, and they are growing amongst the younger age groups, so the future of EF demographics looks bright.

I’m not saying everyone wants the Latin Mass. I’m not saying this comment means a return to only Latin Masses. I’m just pointing out a comment from the hierarchy that (IMO) bodes well for both the OF and EF, because I think some people might be interested.

Doesn’t matter what people think. Many threatened to leave as they didn’t want a new English translation. Who wanted “consubstantial”? Who wanted “and with your spirit.”? How many were still attached to the music of the old “Gloria,” “Sanctus,” etc.? But as long as the English and other modern language change, they’ll have to accept still newer versions and new music. Or the language will become obsolete as many of the remote vernaculars have become. Note, though, all these things don’t happen overnight and people adjust.

Opposite from my area in the south. There is a daily TLM available in one of the parishes and I know of a few people that have actually moved to be able to attend.

Wow. That’s impressive. Not so here…:shrug:

Who will stop the division and who is prolonging it? At this time in church history there is a marked and deep bias among Catholics and resentment runs high on both sides. It is not as simple as allowing a person to go to whichever Mass he prefers. For example, Traditionalists now even suffer taunts from fellow Catholics because of the clothing they wear to Mass. :shrug:

Apparently, for whatever reason, the article was edited because the original text said, "“During a recent interview, Archbishop Arthur Roche spoke on the significance of the Latin Rite Mass, explaining that . . . . ”

Sometimes I wonder if the reporters understand what they’ve heard.

You and I, at least, can work to stop it in our own lives. And the criticism, here, is not even against traditionalists, but a certain subculture of them. A minority of the minority.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.