Bishop Basil Losten...

tells the truth to shame the Devil.

Can it be, an American bishop with a backbone? :wink:

"It was not the people of Ukraine who caused a split between what came to be known as Orthodoxy and Catholicism. The effects of a schism that occurred in lands far away eventually affected the Ukrainian Christianity. Whether for good or ill, it became a reality in the everyday life of the Ukrainian people.

Ecclesial jurisdictions may have been divided, but the local populace remained intact in the relationships it engendered. Neighbor intermarried with neighbor and prayed together to the same God. The common folk knew that this division was man-made, not divinely inspired."

:thumbsup:

Well stated. :thumbsup:

[quote=GrzeszDeL]…tells the truth to shame the Devil.

Can it be, an American bishop with a backbone? :wink:
[/quote]

"There is still another group of Byzantine Christians in Ukraine. No one can deny that they have a history that predates communism. No one can deny that they have had a hierarchy in Ukraine for over 400 years. Some may not like this reality, but this does not make it any less real. "

Thank you bishop - tongues of fire appear to be breaking out in a number of assorted places. .

The shame of it is that this letter is only addressed to the Ecumenical Patriarch. It seems to me that there are at least two other major churchmen who deserve to get irritated missives from the Ukranian Catholic hierarchs, and the first of those two is John Paul II. It does not come easy to me to take issue with this pope, whom I love like a father, but it was a shameful betrayl to refuse to acknowledge the obvious reality of the Kiev Patriarchate simply to appease some malcontent schismatics. The other is Patriarch Alexei II, who, in light of his personal history, is not worthy to unfasten Patriarch Hussar’s sandel straps. Still, it is good to see that the Ukranians are not going to be silenced easily. May the Lord bless and prosper the work of their hands.

[quote=GrzeszDeL] and the first of those two is John Paul II. It does not come easy to me to take issue with this pope, whom I love like a father, but it was a shameful betrayl to refuse to acknowledge the obvious reality of the Kiev Patriarchate simply to appease some malcontent schismatics.
[/quote]

I am very upset over that also. this ecumenical gamesmanship and Ostpolitik really is a failed policy of the church - even Casaroli says so in his book, and yet we continue to let our Christian brothers and sisters languish for expedience. I don’t like it. Not a bit.

[quote=GrzeszDeL] The other is Patriarch Alexei II,
[/quote]

I was so personally ticked at him at the time of the icon, that I really cannot discuss him in less than civil terms. It was for me the last straw. I believe he is a strong impediment to many things and that in the end, the Russian Church won’t be proud of his tenure down the road. When I hear Alexei’s name these days, I do the same as when I hear Paul VI and Midzenty - my jaw tightens and I grit my teeth. What perfidy.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.