Bishop: disobedience is harming the Church

Bishops who have deep theological differences with the Pope are undermining the unity of the Catholic Church, a prominent English bishop has claimed.

Bishop Patrick O’Donoghue said that such differences prompted parish priests to ignore the authority of their bishops.

He said: “The idea that there could be theological differences between a bishop and the Pope is just an incredible thing to admit but it is the truth. I suppose if priests see bishops showing disloyalty to the Pope, it is hardly surprising that they in turn should show disloyalty to their bishop. We all know what Jesus said about a divided house.”

Read the rest here: catholicherald.co.uk/articles/a0000580.shtml

A house divided can not stand. This conclusion has been proven many many times through out history.

The smoke of Satan,nothing less.There is a Fifth column of "Catholics"in our Church both clergy and laiety.I’m all for another Inquisition.

There is *no question *disobedience is harming the church…

But ,I’ve been encouraged to find this Catholic Answers site. There are many prayerful people who love the church that post on here. The Scriptures tell us that," when the enemy comes in like a flood, The Spirit of the Lord will lift up a standard against him."

IS 59 :19 NKJ

Let’s all take it as a great call to prayer.

Sacred Heart of Jesus have mercy on us
Immaculate Heart of Mary pray for us

:signofcross:

Hello,
Why does the Pope allow the Bishopes to be in disobedience for years without correction? The Pope is where the buck stopes in our church, or am i wrong? I never hear that part of the problem addressed. Many souls are missled because of the problem of the Pope allowing Bishopes who then allow Priests to give wrong teachings . That goes on for years without correction. I am 71 years old . I am a cradle catholic . I love my Church and Her life giving teachings . We have a treasure of truth , given to us by our Lord Jesus Christ by his death and ressurection. I watched for 30 yrs, how the truths were watered down. This was allowed by the Pope and the Bishops. What a loss ! When will this stop ? Jesus Christ died because he spoke the truth,and would not water down his word. I pray that the change that has begun within the Church will soon correct the harm that has been done to so many soules and not damage soules in the future . by the grace of god janie567

Amen to that!

When priests encourage their congregations openly to disobey the Pope. We have problems. When Bishops undermine the Pope"s authority…We have problems.

When groups get together and openly resist the Pope’s authority…We have problems.

But it is happening right here, right now.:frowning:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.