Bishop Gene Robinson claims Bible does not address 'monogamous' same-sex relationships [CNA]

Washington D.C., Feb 5, 2010 / 03:20 am (CNA).- The first openly homosexual Episcopal bishop, V. Gene Robinson, has claimed that the Bible does not address the ethics of “monogamous, lifelong” homosexual relationships. He suggested that the people of St. Paul’s times did not realize that some people were “affectionally oriented” to their own sex.

On Tuesday at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C., CNSNews.com spoke to Bishop Robinson about St. Paul’s condemnation in the Book of Romans of “unnatural” relations and “indecent acts” between members of the same sex. CNSNews.com asked if St. Paul was right to say homosexual acts were against nature.

Full article…

What lifelong monogamous relationships?

From the NY Times:

Many Successful Gay Marriages Share an Open Secret

A study to be released next month is offering a rare glimpse inside gay relationships and reveals that monogamy is not a central feature for many. Some gay men and lesbians argue that, as a result, they have stronger, longer-lasting and more honest relationships. And while that may sound counterintuitive, some experts say boundary-challenging gay relationships represent an evolution in marriage — one that might point the way for the survival of the institution.

New research at San Francisco State University reveals just how common open relationships are among gay men and lesbians in the Bay Area. The Gay Couples Study has followed 556 male couples for three years — about 50 percent of those surveyed have sex outside their relationships, with the knowledge and approval of their partners.

That consent is key. “With straight people, it’s called affairs or cheating,” said Colleen Hoff, the study’s principal investigator, “but with gay people it does not have such negative connotations.”
The study also found open gay couples just as happy in their relationships as pairs in sexually exclusive unions, Dr. Hoff said. A different study, published in 1985, concluded that open gay relationships actually lasted longer.

I’m ready to say abolish marriage as a legal institution and leave it to churches for those who want it.

I'd say the Bishop is grasping at straws in his attempt to defend a lifestyle clearly condemned in scripture. He can huff and puff all he wants, but St. Paul is clear and the Church has been clear in it's understanding of homosexuality for centuries. If the Bishop wishes to admit that scripture and St. Paul condemns homosexuality, but that he thinks this is wrong, well, I can respect that a lot more than his claim that the Church and St. Paul are simply ignorant of how people of the same sex can actually have a loving attraction to one another. I don't think the problem is St. Paul's ignorance of homosexuals and the relationships they are capable of, but of Bishop Robinson's ignorance of St. Paul.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.