Bishop Gumbleton asked not to speak in Wisconsin diocese [CC]

A controversial liberal bishop has canceled a planned speaking engagement in Michigan at the request of the local bishop. Bishop Thomas Gumbleton had been scheduled to speak at a conference organized by Marquette Citizens for Peace and Justice. But he withdrew after Bishop Alexander Sample of Marquette asked him not to make the appearance.

In a public explanation of his request, Bishop Sample said: “Given Bishop Gumbleton’s very public position on certain important matters of Catholic teaching, specifically with regard to homosexuality and the ordination of women to the priesthood, it was my judgment that his presence in Marquette would not be helpful to me in fulfilling my responsibility.” He added this his decision to bar an appearance by Bishop Gumbleton had “absolutely nothing to do with the group who invited him to speak.”

More…

Thank you, Bishop Sample, for doing what’s best for the members of your diocese.

AMEN!! :thumbsup:

~Liza

Bishop Sample is our shepherd in the Diocese of Marquette, MICHIGAN. We are blessed to have him here!

Good! Thank you Bishop Sample for standing up for what is right! :thumbsup:

If I remember this correctly, I think the Bishop of Marquette is one of, if not the youngest bishop in the country. That’s a good sign. And he did it nicely, too.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.