Bishop Joe Devine attacks Cameron's Morals

In an intemperate two-page letter to the Prime Minister, Bishop Joe Devine of Motherwell has accused him of being “out of his depth” and suggested he is “devoid of moral competence” over his attitude to Christianity.

“So where next for David Cameron’s spiritual mission? … While I cannot speak for other creeds, let me be quite frank with you. So far as the Roman Catholic Church… is concerned, you are out of your depth. We will take no finger-prodding lectures from anyone or any group devoid of moral competence.

“I suspect it is only a matter of time before you go one step further and outlaw the teaching of Christian doctrine on sexual morality on the grounds of discrimination.”

Religious freedom “under your premiership… is no longer being respected in the UK”. And in one final barb, he notes how the Christian Church has lasted for “two millennia… and all this amazingly without any direction and guidance from you or your peer group”. He then signs the letter “Yours Truly”.

scotsman.com/news/scottish-news/top-stories/bishop-joe-devine-attacks-david-cameron-s-morals-1-2682424

Love it. I think it is high time that church leaders, stop apologizing for their points of view. People need to see courageous and bold people of faith who defend their beliefs intelligently and without compromise.

Bazinga! :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Of course the headline is provocative. He questioned his moral competence, not his morals. There is a difference.

Where can the actual letter be found ?

I have asked the same of my counterpart north of the border. Reply remains outstanding due to urgent matters.

Amen, Bishop Devine. I wish more Bishops had fire in their belly. All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. The Bishops have a truly special weapon in the form of a teaching charism. That is why the enemies of truth and the secret, satanic societies fear the Church so much. Satan has already been defeated. Even Satan’s power is illusory. It is a fictitious power, for it is really powerless. And that is precisely the secret of the satanic. Because he is in himself powerless, the Devil is a coward; but he is such a good liar that you would never know that (this is precisely why propaganda and disinformation is so essential to Satan’s illusions). The Devil fears nothing more than a Bishop exercising his teaching authority on issues involving faith and morals.

Portsmouth: Bishop responds David Cameron’s views on same-sex marriage

Bishop Philip Egan, Bishop of Portsmouth has issued the following statement today in response to the Prime Minister’s comments on the issue of gay marriage:

David Cameron has said that he is an enthusiastic supporter of marriage and that he does not want “gay people to be excluded from a great institution.” Yet however well-intentioned, and despite huge opposition from Christians, Jews and Muslims alike, by attempting to change the natural meaning of marriage, he seems utterly determined to undermine one of the key foundations of our society.

Such a change is of immense significance. By this change, he is luring the people of England away from their common Christian values and Christian patrimony, and forcing upon us a brave new world, artificially engineered.

To “extend marriage to gay people”, he intends to impose the will of a tiny minority on the vast majority. If the prime minister proceeds with his intentions, he will pervert authentic family values, with catastrophic consequences for the well-being and behaviour of future generations. He will smother the traditional Christian ethos of our society and strangle the religious freedom of the Catholic Church in Britain to conduct its mission.

Of course, we will need to wait for the results of the current consultation-exercise. But in the meantime, I would like to ask Mr. Cameron: What about my rights as a Christian? Will you exempt the Church, its resources and property, from having to support your harmful ideology? Will Catholic schools, societies and institutions be free (and legally safeguarded) to teach the full truth of Christ and the real meaning of life and love?

The institution of marriage has its ups and downs, but will we ever forget that it was the leader of the Conservative Party who finally destroyed marriage as a lasting, loving and life-giving union between a man and a woman?

indcatholicnews.com/news.php?viewStory=21585

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.