Bishop McKnight condemns ‘the silence of so many bishops’ who knew about McCarrick

The Bishop of Jefferson City called for a 'change of culture among the clergy'

The new Bishop of Jefferson City, Missouri has expressed his shock at the McCarrick scandal and “the silence of so many bishops who knew about him.”

Writing on the diocesan website, Bishop Shawn McKnight said the reports were “almost unbearable”, adding: “How could a brother bishop disrespect with such callousness the dignity of young boys, seminarians and priests over decades and no one called him on the carpet?”

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/2018/08/08/bishop-mcknight-condemns-the-silence-of-so-many-bishops-who-knew-about-mccarrick/

The new Bishop of Jefferson City, Missouri has expressed his shock at the McCarrick scandal and “the silence of so many bishops who knew about him.”

Writing on the diocesan website, Bishop Shawn McKnight said the reports were “almost unbearable”, adding: “How could a brother bishop disrespect with such callousness the dignity of young boys, seminarians and priests over decades and no one called him on the carpet?”

“It is inexplicable to me. This cannot continue, and I hope with God’s grace there will be a change of culture among the clergy.”

The bishop, who was installed just six months ago, also urged any victim who has not yet come forward to do so now “so that justice may be served and healing can take place.”

With this coming from one of our Church’s Bishops, we need to pay close heed.

I thought this below was particularly relevant . . . .

The bishop, . . . urged any victim who has not yet come forward to do so now “so that justice may be served and healing can take place.”

Everyone knew…except for the Bishops and Cardinals…they had no idea. Please. I’ve never heard of Bishop McKnight but thank God someone is willing to speak truth here.

And how about Cardinal O’Malley? IF the news is true that he was alerted about McCarrick in 2015 (as is being widely reported), how devastating is that? This is the man hailed as the best in the U.S. on sex abuse issues. Absolutely devastating if true.

closed #4

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.