Bishop Murphy urges faithful not to vote for pro-choice candidates

ROCKVILLE CENTRE - Bishop William Murphy, the religious leader of Long Island’s 1.5 million faithful Catholics, is urging followers not to vote for any pro-choice candidates.

A letter by the head of the Diocese of Rockville Centre read during Sunday Mass said support for abortion should “disqualify any and every such candidate from receiving our vote.”

A spokesperson for the diocese says it is not an endorsement of any candidate. A statement to News 12 says the letter was “the bishop sharing his thoughts on what to consider when a Catholic votes.”

longisland.news12.com/news/bishop-murphy-urges-faithful-not-to-vote-for-pro-choice-candidates-1.12534983

Well, he’s not the first to say such. If anyone has ever done any work in the pro-life ministry, this isn’t a complicated decision, in that sense.

:thumbsup:

If you have the time to listen to a lengthy interview on this subject from Bishop Kevin C Rhoades, it is here:

redeemerradio.com/

A shorter version is here:

diocesefwsb.org/Bishop-Rhoades-homilies-and-talks

Quote from above:

#1 The bishops state the following: “A Catholic cannot vote for a candidate who favors a policy promoting an intrinsically evil act, such as abortion, euthanasia, assisted suicide, deliberately subjecting workers or the poor to subhuman living conditions, redefining marriage in ways that violate its essential meaning, or racist behavior, if the voter’s intent is to support that position. In such cases, a Catholic would be guilty of formal cooperation in grave evil.” (#34) Let me give an example: it would be a serious sin to vote for a pro-choice candidate if the intent is to support the legalization of abortion. That’s formal cooperation in grave evil.

Edit: Is the devil at work on CAF? When I look at the truncated URL it reads "lies and talks rather than homilies and talks! :wink:

Nooooooo. The devil can’t type. :wink:

We get treated to “Catholic Spring” every election cycle. That’s not the devil. It’s people, who can type.

Apparently, commentator Bill O’Reilly lives in the Rockville Center diocese and quotes Bishop Murphy on air.

If you allow for exceptions, such as rape, incest, etc. it doesn’t leave us much to vote on. Just sayin’

The same folks who are for pro-choice candidates are the same ones who approve of euthanasia and ssm.

Yep. They both are pro-choice, just different degrees of it. Which is why I’m not voting for either one. :thumbsup:

Father George Rutler has some similar comments on the election in his weekly column reposted here:

rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2016/11/fr-rutler-in-this-presidential-election.html

That homily just further confirmed my third party stance! :thumbsup:

A quote from Father Rutler:
“It is incorrect to say that the coming election poses a choice between two evils. For ethical and aesthetic reasons, there may be some bad in certain candidates, but badness consists in doing bad things. Evil is different: it is the deliberate destruction of truth, virtue and holiness.”

Please watch the EWTN mass of today. The homily is worthy of listening to and
pondering and praying about.

I truly sympathize with third party voting, but I considered voting third party knowing that practically, I couldn’t wash my hands of the consequences. I would have done it despite that.

The difference is profound. Yet you make it seem minor. The one candidate will expand
the number of abortions to include partial-birth abortions, force us to pay for abortions,
not only in the United States, but across the world. And in a speech before the UN,
Clinton says religions need to “change”. She has no regard for religious liberty and will force Catholic and other faiths to cease services for the poor, homeless, human trafficking
victims, aids victims, etc because they will not be forced to give or refer for abortions.
The people she will choose to head up government offices will be those whose disdain for
Catholics (Catholic Spring) is well known. “Birds of a feather flock together.”

I am dumbfounded that there are people on this very forum who still support her despite all the evidence. If she wins, for some of them you will see some buyers remorse, unless of course their is no repentance.

Clintons and Trumps “flocked” together, and there are lots of photos taken of them together. IMO much of the differences are fabricated at best.

That’s how I feel.

For many reasons, people "flock together’, but that is not what I meant and you know it.
Politically her whole staff has the same beliefs and will work with her to accomplish them.

Here is the letter from Bishop Murphy: drvc.org/2016-press-releases/thoughts-for-consideration-as-we-approach-election-day-a-letter-from-bishop-william-murphy.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.