Bishop orders priests to read anti-Obama letter at Sunday sermons

Manya A. Brachear | Chicago Tribune

CHICAGO — Joining the chorus of Roman Catholic clergy in Illinois criticizing President Barack Obama before next week's election, Peoria Bishop Daniel Jenky ordered priests to read a letter to parishioners on Sunday before the presidential election, explaining that politicians who support abortion rights also reject Jesus.

"By virtue of your vow of obedience to me as your Bishop, I require that this letter be personally read by each celebrating priest at each Weekend Mass," Jenky wrote in a letter circulated to clergy in the Catholic Diocese of Peoria.

In the letter, Jenky cautions parishioners that Obama and a majority of U.S. senators will not reconsider the mandate that would require employers, including religious groups, to provide free birth control coverage in their health care plans. "This assault upon our religious freedom is simply without precedent in the American political and legal system," Jenky wrote.
Read more here: mcclatchydc.com/2012/10/31/173269/bishop-orders-priests-to-read.html#storylink=cpy

What was your opinion on this?

For me, I like that Priests are starting to step up and preach Catholic teachings. To make aware to the Catholic what the church believes.

I don’t like the church preaching on foreign policy and what the govt. should be doing overseas. There was an author at my church visiting and the priest asked him to stand up and say a few things during the homily. The author proceeded to rip the current presidency etc etc. I was not happy with this use of time during mass.

The Franciscan view on the election:

hnp.org/jpic/pdf/2012%20Elections%20Statement%20Part%201–FINAL%20Approved.pdf

hnp.org/jpic/pdf/Election%20Statement%20PART%202–FINAL.pdf

About 30 years late, but good. Unless the Church takes a more active role in the life of the faithful and encourages them to take a more active role in society and politics, they will be brushed aside in their timidity.

God Bless Bishop Jenky

Msgr Eric Barr - President Obama: An Opponent Of Catholicism?

Bishop David Ricken, the leader of the Catholic Diocese of Green Bay, noted in a recent letter to parishioners that voting for candidates who support what he calls “intrinsically evil” positions, such as abortion and gay marriage, could “put your own soul in jeopardy”

Read Bishop David Ricken’s letter

greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20121026/GPG010404/310260362/Bishop-urges-vote-against-candidates-who-support-abortion-gay-marriage?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Bishop Nicholas DiMarzio of Brooklyn is the latest Catholic official to say that voting for pro-abortion President Barack Obama is essentially off limits for Catholic voters

lifenews.com/2012/10/30/catholic-bishop-vote-for-obama-stretches-the-imagination

Bishop Loverde’s pre-election letter

I’m mixed. I wouldn’t want my priest of bishop preaching on politics, but that’s not really what this was. This was stating what has happened in the last few years under Obama, and how it affects the Church. So, in review, I’m in favor of this.

Good job Bishop. It’s not our fault that Obama has completely rejected natural law, and we shouldn’t be ashamed of saying as much.

I wish my bishop…well, Apostolic Administrator since we have a new Bishop being installed soon…would do the same. The problem is, the priest I LOVE that gives homilies that talk about the HARD ISSUES, was an “in residence” Priest and he is not at my parish anymore since his special project, a home for women escaping violence or abortion, was opened. Man, I really miss his homilies! I really hope there is one last letter from the Apostolic administrator this weekend…one that talks about how important it is to VOTE.

Our Freedoms are at stake.

My opinion? I think the Bishop did the right thing. We are Catholics, first and foremost. We must vote in accordance with Church teachings and oppose an administration that pushes anti-Catholic policies, i.e., the HHS mandate.

I respect the bishop’s decision. It would be instructive if he might likewise enlighten us on the implications to our faith from voting for Romney, since Obamacare is based to a large extent on his model of health care. I understand that task might be a tad more difficult given that it is so difficult to hold the gentleman in question to a specific position…but maybe his tenure in Massachusetts could be a starting point?

A little late,

BUT...

BRAVO!!!

Let the dirty politicians have it!!

No more Mr. Nice guy!!

The gloves are off!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Anyone have a link to the actual letter ?

I am very happy with Bishop Jenky. Just as Cardinal Ratzinger was once referred to as God’s Rottweiler, Bishop Jenky is becoming God’s American Pit Bull. He has witnessed first hand how the pro-death agenda has hurt his ability to evangelize and to participate in the corpororal works of mercy in Illinois.

Before he was the ordinary in Peoria, he was our auxillary bishop in Fort Wayne-South Bend and before that he was the religious superior of the Congregation of the Holy Cross at Notre Dame University. I was part of the choir for his episcopal consecration at Saint Matthew Cathedral in South Bend and got to attend the after party at Notre Dame. I can still remember that party; just the usual ND cafeteria food: awesome appetizers, filet mignon dinner and cherries jubilee for dessert.:slight_smile:

In keeping with the call by all the bishops to pray about our choices, I offer this song:

K. Lee Scott, Open My Eyes

Open my eyes and I shall see;
Incline my heart and I shall desire;
Order my steps and I shall walk
In the way of your commandments.

O God, be my only Lord,
And beside you let there none else,
No other, none else with you.

Teach me to worship you
And serve you in all my undertakings
With truth of spirit,
With honor of body,
With blessing of mouth
Both in public and private.

(Repeat as often as necessary)

But I think St. Francis himself would have other vies such the " seamless garment " cannot be used as an excuse to support objective evils by supporting candidates who advocate promoting/supporting objective evils. Frankly, I think the Franciscan view stinks. :thumbsup:

[quote="Tampa_Dave, post:1, topic:303873"]

[/quote]

Bravo! :clapping:

Wouldn’t it be better to have been positive? Rather than have the parish priests read an anti-Obama letter, it would be better IMO to have them read a pro-Romney letter.

My sense is that these letters and statements will have little impact. People have largely made up their minds by now.

John

Below is the evangelical message for Romney:
westernjournalism.com/pas…tial-election/

In his 30+ years as a Pastor, he has never talked about election, but he could not keep silent this time.

Some said they won’t vote for either candidate to protect their holiness. Failing to show compassion of voting is morally lazy.** Not taking a position on election is sinful**.

Pastor Jeremiah teamed with Billy Graham and raised 3.8 million dollars to put Graham’s advertisement on major newspapers across the nation urging people to vote for Christian value. If you watch this sermon, you will know for sure that Billy Graham and David Jeremiah are urging everyone to vote for Romney.

God will bless or curse a nation according to the course Christians take on politics.

Pastor David Jeremiah’s Important Sermon On The Presidential Election:

westernjournalism.com/pas…tial-election/

October 28, 2012 Issue

“I call upon every practicing Catholic in this Diocese to vote,” writes Bishop Jenky. “Be faithful to Christ and to your Catholic Faith.”

A letter from Bishop Jenky regarding Election Day 2012

Citing unprecedented threats to religious liberty and with strong words of warning to Catholic politicians and their electoral supporters who “callously enable the destruction of innocent human life in the womb,” Bishop Daniel R. Jenky, CSC, has called on all practicing Catholics to vote in the coming election.

“Be faithful to Christ and to your Catholic Faith,” said Bishop Jenky in a letter to be read at all weekend Masses on Nov. 3-4, the weekend prior to the Nov. 6 elections. The letter was released to the media on Oct. 18.
Following is the full text of Bishop Jenky’s letter:

Dear Catholic Believers,

Since the foundation of the American Republic and the adoption of the Bill of Rights, I do not think there has ever been a time more threatening to our religious liberty than the present. Neither the president of the United States nor the current majority of the Federal Senate have been willing to even consider the Catholic community’s grave objections to those HHS mandates that would require all Catholic institutions, exempting only our church buildings, to fund abortion, sterilization, and artificial contraception. This assault upon our religious freedom is simply without precedent in the American political and legal system. Contrary to the guarantees embedded in the First Amendment, the HHS mandates attempt to now narrowly define and thereby drastically limit our traditional religious works. They grossly and intentionally intrude upon the deeply held moral convictions that have always guided our Catholic schools, hospitals, and other apostolic ministries.

Nearly two thousand years ago, after our Savior had been bound, beaten, scourged, mocked, and crowned with thorns, a pagan Roman Procurator displayed Jesus to a hostile crowd by sarcastically declaring: “Behold your King.” The mob roared back: “We have no king but Caesar.” Today, Catholic politicians, bureaucrats, and their electoral supporters who callously enable the destruction of innocent human life in the womb also thereby reject Jesus as their Lord. They are objectively guilty of grave sin. For those who hope for salvation, no political loyalty can ever take precedence over loyalty to the Lord Jesus Christ and to his Gospel of Life. God is not mocked, and as the Bible clearly teaches, after this passing instant of life on earth, God’s great mercy in time will give way to God’s perfect judgment in eternity.

I therefore call upon every practicing Catholic in this Diocese to vote. Be faithful to Christ and to your Catholic Faith. May God guide and protect His Holy Church, and may God bless America.

Most Reverend Daniel R. Jenky, CSC
Catholic Bishop of Peoria

thecatholicpost.com/post/PostArticle.aspx?ID=2656

What is an example of a proportionately moral good that could be a reason to vote for a candidate who openly supports abortion?

What is such a profoundly great “good” that it justifies supporting the most evil acts?

I don’t get it…

If that is the official explanation from a Franciscan perspective, I am, to say the least disappointed.

Awesome! :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.