Bishop Sheen on television?

In the 50's there was a show on tv called"Life Worth lliving"and it was hosted by Bishop Sheen.Many topics he discussed are relevant today.His series ran for I belived3-5yrs.Im wondering how would his program be accepted today?Would it draw a big audience?I think Fr.Corapi was good but he was more directed to Catholic so he wouldn't be big on national tv.Im sure their must be some Catholic bishop or clergyman today who could at least rival B.S.But would our society today accept or enjoy such a program?

I haven't watched recently, but Bishop Sheen's old programs were still carried on EWTN.

I watched the originals; he was a very gifted speaker, and I'm not sure I know of a present Bishop or Cardinal who would be comparable....perhaps Archbishop Chaput.

But, no, I don't think a regular appearance of a Bishop on NBC or CBS would have the same kind of effect today. The programming for EWTN (where it is available) pretty well fills this need. There are just too many channels for such an effect to be repeated.

But, boy, I miss him!

Not only EWTN but my local Catholic channel airs Bishop Sheen's program.

Maybe such a show wouldn't be ALLOWED today but it's certainly NEEDED. :D

IMO it would be a big flop today. Our shared reserve of Christian culture has bled off since then and any innate sense of respect for the clergy is long gone. Plus there were no car chases or sex scenes. Yup, big flop. :wink:

You can watch Archbishop Fulton Sheen on youtube
youtube.com/results?search_query=fulton+sheen

You can download it using a free program called atube catcher:
download.cnet.com/aTube-Catcher/3000-2071_4-10969422.html

Archbishop Fulton Sheen is highly recommended :thumbsup:

You can download the series Life is worth living for free on catholicaudio.us:
ftp://catholicaudio.us/pub/audionet/OLOFatimas_lib/Fulton_Sheen/
ftp://catholicaudio.us/pub/audionet/EWTN_programs/Fulton_Sheen/

May the Merciful Jesus bless you:)

[quote="mariafransisca2, post:5, topic:247112"]
You can also download Father Corapi's talks here

[/quote]

Given the very serious situation he faces, I do not think it is appropriate to be promoting John Corapi's videos at this time.

[quote="DavidPalm, post:6, topic:247112"]
Given the very serious situation he faces, I do not think it is appropriate to be promoting John Corapi's videos at this time.

[/quote]

Why?

You think it’s appropriate to send people to the “black sheep dog” channel where Fr. Corapi publicly defies his religious superiors? No matter how this eventually plays out, it’s unseemly to engage in that kind of promotion right in the midst of the controversy.

I’m sorry I even had to explain that to anybody.

But it's all right to trash him and hang him in absentia as virtually everyone seems to be doing?

The YouTube link also had many other links to EWTN interviews, series, and more.

I neither trashed him nor hung him. I merely stated and I stand by it that it’s inappropriate to promote him at this time. It’s especially inappropriate to direct people first to the very place in which he very publicly defies his religious superiors.

[quote="valentino, post:1, topic:247112"]
In the 50's there was a show on tv called"Life Worth lliving"and it was hosted by Bishop Sheen.Many topics he discussed are relevant today.His series ran for I belived3-5yrs.Im wondering how would his program be accepted today?Would it draw a big audience?

[/quote]

Probably not. The cultures are completely different. Back then there was only the 3 network stations. A lot of what he addressed had to do with the Cold War, the Soviet Union, Communism etc etc.

His style also I dont think would do as well. He had an "over the top" sort of dramatic style that the critics would tear him apart for

(dont get me wrong. I personally love the man and am always asking him to intercede for me. I follow his cause very closely)

Now, if you are asking about "what about his style in the '70's, many years later after he had gone thru great suffering, great purifying. I would say yes. I think there would be a niche for the older Bishop Sheen. (Google his last Good Friday Homily prior to his death in '79 from St Patricks. It's well worth watching. I believe it comes in 3 parts)

I also recommend his autobiography "Treasure in Clay"
During Bl (Mother) Teresa of Calcutta's ministry, during Holy Week she had her sisters read Sheen's book "Jesus the Christ".

[quote="Sailor_Kenshin, post:9, topic:247112"]
But it's all right to trash him and hang him in absentia as virtually everyone seems to be doing?

[/quote]

Sorry this is "off-subject".

You may not have seen the recent news about John Corapi. It is discouraging.

catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/1102670.htm

[quote="DavidPalm, post:10, topic:247112"]
I neither trashed him nor hung him. I merely stated and I stand by it that it's inappropriate to promote him at this time. It's especially inappropriate to direct people first to the very place in which he very publicly defies his religious superiors.

[/quote]

Why not let people listen and make up their own minds?

Why is everyone in such a hysteria to repress both sides presenting their views?

James: And what makes you think I haven't listened nor heard?

People are sure in a rush to spread what is at this point only one side to a story. It's sickening.

I'm sick of the clucking and tongue-wagging that goes on here. There are two sides to this story but only one being trumpeted by most under the guise of 'concern.'

It's gossip and speculation, and I can tell you that if I had run into this kind of response before entering RCIA, I would have thought twice, no, three times about becoming Catholic.

To defend father corapi I would sugggest you to read the comments on his youtube channel

youtube.com/user/TheBlackSheepdog1
youtube.com/user/FatherCorapi

And Blacksheepdog unleashed
theblacksheepdog.wordpress.com/unleashed/

He's a good man, accused unjustly, and everybody knows that. Only the bad people do not know that.

[quote="mariafransisca2, post:14, topic:247112"]

He's a good man, accused unjustly, and everybody knows that. Only the bad people do not know that.

[/quote]

Your comment here I think is unfair, unjust and uncharitable.

To make the generalization of "everyone knows that" and that "only bad people do not know that" is un-Christ like.

"Everyone knows that" is an unfactual statement. Not "everyone knows that"

"Only the bad people do not know that" is an unfactual statement and is uncharitable.

I hope you will reconsider how you tried to articulate the message you were trying to make and restate it in a more appropriate manner. :)

Maybe confused people do not know that :) All right, but I still think he is innocent. Pray for father corapi

You certainly have a right to your opinion :thumbsup:

Still it’s uncharitable of you to project onto others that they are “confused”. :slight_smile:
You have no way of knowing, factually speaking, who is confused and who is not. :smiley: :slight_smile:

[quote="mariafransisca2, post:16, topic:247112"]
Maybe confused people do not know that :) All right, but I still think he is innocent. Pray for father corapi

[/quote]

There are already several threads about Fr. Corapi. This is not one of them; it is about Abp. Fulton Sheen, a thoroughly brilliant and very effective Catholic voice.

[quote="dixieagle, post:18, topic:247112"]
There are already several threads about Fr. Corapi. This is not one of them; it is about Abp. Fulton Sheen, a thoroughly brilliant and very effective Catholic voice.

[/quote]

Agreed. A man obedient even unto suffering.
We need a man like Sheen to be raised to the alter. :)

The “positio”, or summary of the documentation attesting to the “heroic virtue” of Abp. Sheen was presented to the Vatican on May 25, as you may know.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.