Bishop urges Christians to call God 'Allah'

Hi

Just a news item:[size=]

worldnetdaily.com/staticarticles/article57178.html

Bishop urges Christians to call God ‘Allah’

Catholic leader believes it would help ease tensions between religions
Posted: August 15, 2007
3:28 p.m. Eastern

Catholic churches in the Netherlands should use the name Allah for God to ease tensions between Muslims and Christians, says a Dutch bishop.

Tiny Muskens, the bishop of Breda, told the Dutch TV program “Network” Monday night he believes God doesn’t mind what he is called, Radio Netherlands Worldwide reported.
The Almighty is above such “discussion and bickering,” he insisted.

Muskens points to Indonesia, where he served 30 years ago, as an example for Dutch churches. Christians in the Middle East also use the term Allah for God.

“Someone like me has prayed to Allah yang maha kuasa (Almighty God) for eight years in Indonesia and other priests for 20 or 30 years,” Muskens said. “In the heart of the Eucharist, God is called Allah over there, so why can’t we start doing that together?”

Muskens thinks it could take another 100 years, but eventually the name Allah will be used by Dutch churches, promoting rapprochement between the two religions, he said, according to Radio Netherlands.
Unquote.[/size]

I already say GodAllahYHWH, to end tension between the nations of the world. I support the Bishop, this would be good gesture from Catholics.

Thanks

Arabic Christians have been using the name “Allah” way before Islam was born. (They adopted this name from Arab pagans, who worshipped the moon god, in an attempt to assimilate with them.)

Despite the Lebanese Christians who always use the name “Allah”, I don’t think it hast helped them with their relations with Muslims. Lebanon is in all sorts of trouble. :twocents:

But here’s an idea; Why don’t Islamic countries just allow Christians to worship within Islamic states?
:newidea:

Hi

There is no harm; rather it would be plausible if they understand.

Thanks

In a mutual conciliatory gesture, how about if, in parts of the world where the dominanat culture refers the Almighty as “Allah” folks continue to refer to him as Allah. In parts of the world where “God” is the common usage, monotheists refer to him as God. Sound reasonable?

So far it seems Christians are doing their part. Doesn’t sound to me like the change needs to happen on the Catholic side of the aisle.

Hi

If there is a change in positive direction, it should be welcome, no harm.

Thanks

All Muslims address God as “Allah,” but has that stopped many of them from falling into hating and killing each other in the name of that same “Allah” (anymore than using the same name for God has prevented violence between Christian sects)?

If one wants to promote reconciliation between Christians and Muslims, one is going to have go further than having non-Arabic-speaking Christians address God by His name in Arabic.

One will have to emphasize the point in catechesis (I say emphasize because the explicit teaching is already included there) that Muslims, like Jews, worship the same God as we Christians do, though their understanding of that God, like that of the Jews, differs from ours.

We should recognize and support each other’s sincere quest for God and godliness while acknowledging the real differences between us, i.e. while resisting the seductions of relativism and indifferentism.

I for one, will not call God “Allah”, because to me tit epitomises the concessions being made to the religion of “peace”. That bishop is on his way to becoming a dhimmi! :mad:

According to the article:

Some letters to the paper were filled with ridicule for the bishop.
“Sure. Lets call God Allah. Lets then call a church a mosque and pray five times a day. Ramadan sounds like fun,” wrote Welmoet Koppenhol.
The chairman of the Protestant Church in the Netherlands, Gerrit de Fijter, told the Dutch paper he welcomed any attempt to “create more dialogue,” according to the AP. But he said, “Calling God ‘Allah’ does no justice to Western identity. I see no benefit in it.”

I agree with their sentiments!

Vickie

Well, praying 5 times a day is a good idea;) …I for one won’t call God Allah, to me, that name is reserved to another faith…how come Muslims can’t call Allah God? Why should we in our own country (Christian country for that) change all of our ways to accomodate the religious minority even more? Mosques are put up everywhere I look (funny enough, they’re always taller than the Christian churches next to them, hmmmm, weird…) yet a Christian has to fear for his life in most Muslim countries. Before we accomodate any more or show more “friendly gestures”, how about we get some respect in return first?

I won’t even consider changing “God” to “Allah”.

I will, however, consider changing from 5.56mm ammunition to 7.62mm.

I agree, but I will bet you lunch it will not happen. Allah may be a generic name for God for some people, but god allah of the Quran is not God.

I agree! The god of the Quran is not God!

Vickie

Great! :rotfl: :rotfl: Thumbs up!

Vickie

Don’t you have other names for Allah in addition more personable or adoring?

The ah on the end is a sort of hebrew designation isn’t it?

Like when Sara name was changed to Sarah.

God changed many names in the bible as the person really came through a life change so why not Mohammed or the name Allah?

Maybe the Islam peaceful Muslims should think about organizing into a name change to distinguish your self to the peacefull ONE you want to follow and thus seperate yourself from the old stigmata of war and murder as this is what Jesus did change things .

Example not the same Old Jeruselem a New Jerusalem
this would be a good thread what was old has been made new.
Old wine skins new wine skins, I feel this means new bodies as we enter the eternal life.
Dessert

Personally, I think they should call God *Father *or Abba, but not abba in the West, lest people start singing “Waterloo”. :slight_smile:

oh come on, that’s not nice…:frowning: let’s not stoop to that level- please???

The ancient Trisagion Hymn, “Holy God, holy Mighty, holy Immortal, have mercy on us” begins “Qudusson Allah” in Arabic.

As one person pointed out, it depends on the context in which a word is used: Muslim or Catholic.

But as for that Bishop, he’s a good little dhimmi, isn’t he?

Yes, I think he might be, sad as that is.

Exactly!

I think this is a non-issue.

Edwin

Moses asked God who He was, God replied “I am”.

Yes, we can call God “Allah,” but that won’t save our heads from falling off. I think this Bishop is naive. Just look at Muslims. They all worship Allah. Yet, they all kill each other in the name of Allah. If Muslims kill Muslims in the name of Allah, us, infidels and our “Allah” ain’t nothing to them.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.