Bishop urges international community: don't destroy Syria [CWN]

As representatives of 30 nations and four organizations prepared for a January 22 conference on the Syrian conflict, a Syrian bishop urged the international community not to “destroy” the …

More…

“why is there the need to destroy a country that was stable and also safeguarded treasures of civilization.”- Quote of aforesaid bishop

I’m assuming that the Bishop was talking of the Assad regime.
Whatever good it has done is far outweighed by its evils. The bishop ought to be disciplined for saying something so absurd. However he treated historical sites is irrelevant, he has killed tens of thousands of his people.

I would prefer each holy site destroyed then the loss of another innocent child…
but he mentions not the loss of human life…

“We believe the int. community must respect the country with its problems. progressive journey towards justice”

Progressive journey towards justice? SYRIA’S problems, not everybody else’s?

How unfeeling and ill-informed can you be? This man is an imbecile!

"

The rebels are worse they will destroy every trace of Christianity in Syria. The very first Church ever built in the history of Christendom is in Syria

Time we started believing Apostolic, Catholic and Orthodox Bishops who actually live in Syria, instead of shady Western intelligence and media sources.

If it's a choice between a Catholic Bishop in Syria and the CIA, I'll take the Bishop's word every single time.

"

While I agree with a lot of your above, he is a Bishop and needs to be treated with the respect due his office.

I expect they will. But right now what’s going on is a Sunni/Shia religious war, which is also a rivalry between those who want a “new Persian empire” stretching to the Mediterranean, and those who want a “Sunni Arab Caliphate” minimally encompassing the Middle EAst and North Africa. Protecting Christianity is not a goal of either.

Christians have no influence in it at all. At one time, the U.S. stood between the factions, but we left, so now it’s just the two dreams of empire in murderous competition. As Henry Kissinger is reported as saying of the Iraq-Iran War “It’s too bad both can’t lose.”

"

I disagree. The Bishop is looking for a peaceful solution. I doubt he’s ‘taking sides’ as your post suggests.

Who are you to call a bishop an imbecile on mere assumption? :rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.