Bishop vows to "stand in solidarity with immigrant families"

Bishop vows to “stand in solidarity with immigrant families” as Trump orders US-Mexico wall ow.ly/PrMB308n1JH

“We fear that the policies announced today will make it much more difficult for the vulnerable to access protection in our country. Everyday my brother bishops and I witness the harmful effects of immigrant detention in our ministries. We experience the pain of severed families that struggle to maintain a semblance of normal family life. We see traumatized children in our schools and in our churches. The policies announced today will only further upend immigrant families.” — Bishop Joe Vasquez, Chair of the USCCB Committee of Migration and Bishop of the Diocese of Austin.

A fearful nation talks about building walls and is vulnerable to con men. We must challenge the fear before we are led into darkness. - Cardinal Tobin

This speaks more of media-driven hysteria than actual fear. We still have the exact same immigration laws (more lax, actually) under which my wife and her family legally migrated from El Salvador to the US in the late 1970s. They were fleeing for their lives, while the current crowd is predominantly seeking economic gain, if not government freebies.

Dunno about you, but I see a fundamental difference there. Mexico needs pressure to reform itself, as the corruption there is almost as bad as in Chicago.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.