bishop

I will try this one more time. Our Bishop was reassigned after only three years in the diocese. Who assumes the duties of running the diocese without a Bishop? Are the parish priests on their own to do and go where they want? Or is a temporary priest assigned to fill in for the absent Bishop? I doubt this is the case but without an overseer the individual parishes can get out of hand. Also does the parish priest have the authority to attend and hold meetings outside of his home diocese. And is the spending of parish funds solely the responsibility of the priest or does the parish council along with the finance council have a say in the matter.

Hi!

…I’ve never heard of a diocese being left without a Bishop; as a matter of fact, there are Bishops assigned to dioceses that no longer exists (places where the Church (physical buildings) has been eradicated by the government or other agents)… if what you are saying is correct, has anyone though to contact the Archbishop or the USCCB?

Maran atha!

Angel

Someone is appointed temporarily to fill the position. Like any organization, plans are put in place to keep things running until a new bishop is appointed.

Also does the parish priest have the authority to attend and hold meetings outside of his home diocese.

There are all kinds of meetings, but yes, a priest can go outside the diocese to attend a meeting. If he heads an organization then he might also lead meetings that are held outside the diocese.

And is the spending of parish funds solely the responsibility of the priest or does the parish council along with the finance council have a say in the matter.

Parish councils and finance councils are advisory. They have a say in the sense of advising the pastor, but they don’t have the ultimate decision-making authority. The diocese may also have guidelines in place and the bishop may have a say in how money is spent.

Within eight days after the episcopal see is known to be vacant, the college of consultors (or the cathedral chapter in some countries) is obliged to elect a diocesan administrator. The administrator they choose must be a priest or bishop who is at least 35 years old.

If the college of consultors fails to elect a qualifying person within the time allotted, the choice of diocesan administrator passes to the metropolitan archbishop or, if the metropolitan see is vacant, to the senior-most by appointment of the suffragan bishops.

Before the election of the diocesan administrator of a vacant see, the governance of the see is entrusted, with the powers of a vicar general, to the auxiliary bishop, if there is one, or to the senior among them, if there are several, otherwise to the college of consultors as a whole. The diocesan administrator has greater powers, essentially those of a bishop except for matters excepted by the nature of the matter or expressly by law. Canon law subjects his activity to various legal restrictions and to special supervision by the college of consultors (as for example canons 272 and 485).

There are in fact at least 10 vacant Sees in the United States right now. This is not an unusual situation.

catholic-hierarchy.org/country/dus3.html

The diocese I am in is currently without a bishop, ours being reassigned. So we have an administrator in the meantime.

As understand it only the Pope can assign or remove a Bishop. This being said how can a priest assume the duties of a Bishop who can only be appointed by the Pope? Diocesan priests do not have the responsibility given a Bishop in the performance of his duties. This people is one of the many reason Catholics are turning away from the church. There seems to be no control over who is running the Diocese and the parish priests have to much power on how the offering monies are spent. Using this money for their own personal use and not spending it in the Parish as should be done.

I believe Canon law provides the answer to the question you asked. SMOM provided a specific answer. If you believe he is in error, point it out.

This people is one of the many reason Catholics are turning away from the church. There seems to be no control over who is running the Diocese and the parish priests have to much power on how the offering monies are spent. Using this money for their own personal use and not spending it in the Parish as should be done.

No…I don’t think so. The parish funds are accounted for by a parish finance committee, not the priest personally. Priests are paid a modest stipend by the diocese - they don’t have access to the collection plate for personal needs.

What’s really on your mind Norman?

What you’ll have is a Diocesan administrator and the Vicar General taking on the roles until a new bishop is appointed/ordained.

Priest are never on their own …they always have someone to turn to.

That last… in fact all your questions would be best addressed to the diocesan office instead of dumping them here on a public forum where no one knows the specific.situation.

It’s not like the Diocese won’t answer your calls because someone is always there.

Pick up the phone and call and stop stressing over this stuff. If we all keep on living faithful Catholic lives then the diocese will almost run itself and the new bishop will inherit a terrific diocese.

Moreover I have never seen Catholic bail when a diocese is in transition to a new bishop so I don’t know where you get that. My own diocese is currently without a bishop and my parish is fine.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.