Bishop's actions support Church's mission

Bishop’s actions support Church’s mission

In an Oct. 24 article in the Phoenix New Times, freelance writer Michael Lacey criticized Bishop Thomas J. Olmsted of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Phoenix, for removing the Anti-Defamation League’s sensitivity training from Diocesan schools for what Lacy termed “abortion politics.”

According to Lacey, the ADL provided anti-bias programs meant to inform students at multiple diocesan high schools about the harmful aspects of bullying based on racial, historical and sexual stigmas.

It is unfortunate that the author would refuse to assume anything but the worst about Olmsted, a man I’m sure he would find to be nothing but compassionate, were he to truly engage him in dialogue. But Lacey failed to do that before composing his smear attack on the bishop, instead resorting to an armchair quarterback analysis of the bishop’s decision, claiming that “Olmsted’s action (to end the ADL training) was driven by abortion politics and was entirely unrelated to the teaching program, which aims to instill civility in juvenile savages.”

I am sure that the Bishop removed this program for a good reason. However, I hope he replaces it with another that conveys the same message. There is much bullying and discrimination that goes on even, yes, in Catholic Schools.

Bishop Olmsted is known to be a compassionate person who is completely true to the Catholic Faith. He served in my diocese for awhile.

The real problem is that the Catholic Church may very well have to roll her own anti-bully program. All of the anti-bully initiatives I have seen, without exception, are based on militant homosexualism and demand its normativity. They preach a superficial form of tolerance which is really accepting any kind of bad behavior no matter how sinful it is (unless of course, it is bullying, which won’t be tolerated anymore.) At the same time it is intolerant of real Christian values which have governed society for thousands of years and never had much of a problem keeping righteous people in order until population control began to corrode society. It is a real shame.

That being said, Catholic schools should ideally have a holistic view of the moral behavior of students. Why is it necessary to single out bullying as an extraordinary behavior that needs extraordinary correction? Children should be taught to be righteous in every way. The Gospel is our best source of anti-bully counsel. Jesus said to love the LORD our God with all our heart, all our mind and all our strength, and to love our neighbors as ourselves. We have the Ten Commandments. We have Moral Law. If children will not listen to the inerrant Word of God, why will they listen to a dynamic anti-bully motivational speaker? It doesn’t make any sense. Anti-bullying programs are a parallel catechesis that actually damage proper Christian formation. Children who are adequately formed to be good Christians will be admonished against bullying activity. Children who persist in bullying must be in need of remedial catechesis in Christian love and charity.

Yea, but it is just not bullying. The terminology they use against other races they hear at home much of the time. In a perfect world the kids would be taught better at home.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.