Bishops assembly to vote on liturgical items at november meeting

October 20, 2014

WASHINGTON—The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops’ (USCCB)
Committee on Divine Worship will present five liturgical items for vote,
including revisions to the liturgy of the hours and a revision of guidelines for
the celebration of the sacraments with persons with disabilities, at the
annual Fall General Assembly, November 10-13, in Baltimore

divineoffice.org/wp-content/uploads/Bishops-Assembly-To-Vote-On-Liturgical-Items-At-November-2014-Meeting1.pdf

Peace

All well and good, but I’m sure I’m not alone in thinking these are hardly the most pressing liturgical matters that need voted on…

Such as?

You honestly can’t think of any?

When our last pope could say,

“I am convinced that the crisis in the Church that we are experiencing is, to a large extent, due to the disintegration of the liturgy…”

I think there just might be a few bigger fish to fry than these proposed changes.

The revision of the Liturgy of the Hours is the only thing that really interests me. I want it badly. The rest, well, meh.

No, I really can’t. That’s why I asked. There may be some, that don’t come to mind for me. You alluded to significant issues, but never elaborated…just curious.

I can think of a bunch, but its all above my pay grade and I happen to attend a parish that offers the Holy Sacrifice inline with our traditions so I don’t really have to deal with it.

Let’s just say something like this could be voted out:

But those matters ought to be dealt with at the CDW / PCED level, not USCCB.

That’s hardly something they have to vote on because it’s already illicit. The parish has to stop doing it and the authority lies with that diocese’s bishop. That’s does not need to go all the way to the USCCB.

What the USCCB does need to vote on are translations. The Liturgy of the Hours needs to be updated because it still uses the inferior 1973 translations. More than anything, it’s probably the liturgical issue that needs to take top priority.

How about ways to ensure more devotion to the Eucharist and more availability of Confessions in the parishes. A suggestion, Confessions before Sunday Mass. Also encouragement of catechesis in the homilies ?

It would appear that the celebrant in the picture is the bishop!!! Or at least a bishop.

As important as these things might be, these are things that can be addressed on the local level. It would be like soldiers wanting a senate committee to address menu changes in field kitchens.

That’s a great analogy. The USCCB is not a legislative body nor a court. When they meet twice a year, there are two main objectives. 1) to vote on things that need to be sent to the Holy See (the items in the first post all fall into that category) and 2) to formally act on things they have been directed to by the Holy See (such as approving the English translation of the Missal several years back).

Yes, there are lots of possibly more important issues but they aren’t handled at the semi-annual meetings. They are either handled at a more universal level (such as the CDW for liturgical abuse) or by the standing committees that work all year round (such as crafting documents on pressing issues like immigration, respect for life, religious liberty, etc).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.