Bishops Call For Civil Disobedience Against Health Care Law

Bishops Call For Civil Disobedience Against Health Care Law

Read more: care2.com/causes/bishops-call-for-civil-disobedience-against-health-care-law.html#ixzz1t4dyfEGN

This is serious.

The author of that article does not understand that religious liberty and protection for the unborn from conception is part of Catholic social justice teaching. Social justice begins in the womb.

In conclusion in address to Barack Obama's ambassador Miguel Diaz, Pope Benedict said:

The Church insists on the unbreakable link between an ethics of life and every other aspect of social ethics, for she is convinced that, in the prophetic words of the late Pope John Paul II, “a society lacks solid foundations when, on the one hand, it asserts values such as the dignity of the person, justice and peace, but then, on the other hand, radically acts to the contrary by allowing or tolerating a variety of ways in which human life is devalued and violated, especially where it is weak or marginalized.” Evangelium Vitae, 93; cf. Caritas in Veritate, 15]

Ugghhh.

I think I had a spike in my blood pressure just by revisiting that website. I had to end my relationship with those forums for health reasons. IMHO, it is the filthiest, most biased forum EVAR. Put em’ on the pay no mind list; you can bet that any story presented on those boards, especially written by Jessica, is going to be twisted into a straight LIE.

Another one of her gems…

This is the very first site I ever saw use the slogan ‘War on Women’. Thumbing through their current articles it seems they are still beating that horse.

communities.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/middle-class-guy/2012/apr/24/catholic-bishops-triple-down-obama-administration/

[quote="Charlotte408, post:3, topic:282118"]
written by Jessica, is going to be twisted into a straight LIE.

[/quote]

Her last name is Pieklo, and in Polish, that word, pronounced Pyek-wo, means Hell, the place of the damned. Mere coincidence? :shrug:

Yes, and the lack of discussion here is remarkable…

[quote="Scalia, post:6, topic:282118"]
Yes, and the lack of discussion here is remarkable........

[/quote]

Sorry, I think its just that it's already been covered:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=665003

USCCB issued a “Statement on Religious Liberty”. The statement calls for the repeal of the contraception mandate put on employers by the Department of Health and Human Services.

The statement makes it very clear this is not a Catholic, Christian, Jewish, Muslim, or other religious issue. It is an American issue. It is a demand for religious liberty guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution. The statement is a call for all Americans, no matter their faith or position on issues, to preserve the guarantee of religious liberty.

The HHS mandate requires employers to provide coverage for contraception, abortifacient and sterilization services. The mandate makes no exceptions for religious institutions and their affiliated entities. The administration tried to reach an accommodation with the church.

The accommodation was a dishonest effort. It was merely rearranging some words.

The bishops state emphatically this is an unjust law and unjust laws “must not be obeyed”. They are including lay employers in their statement. Employers, who for reasons of faith or conscience, may not want to provide or pay for contraceptive, sterilization, or abortifacient services.

According to the bishops, there can be no accommodation made for an unjust law. An unjust law “must not be obeyed”, not merely objected to.

Has the Supreme Court given a ruling on this yet?

Several Catholic institutions have filed suits against the Federal Government, which will ultimately make their way to the Supreme Court. See the Beckett Fund for Religious Liberty, for example.

But there is no lack of discussion in the comments section of that article, that’s for sure…

blog not a news article

There is already a couple of threads on this topic

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.