Bishops say health reform should include all immigrants, legal or not

**Bishops say health reform should include all immigrants, legal or not

By Chaz Muth
Catholic News Service

WASHINGTON (CNS) – Though Bishop William F. Murphy of Rockville Centre, N.Y., concedes there’s no political will in Washington to include illegal immigrants in health care reform, he believes it’s the country’s moral obligation to ensure that everyone in the nation receives proper medical care.

That includes those who enter the country illegally, he told Catholic News Service in mid-September.

“I agree that there is a special problem with those who have entered here without the permission of the United States, and that has to be looked at,” said Bishop Murphy, who chairs the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops’ Committee on Domestic Justice and Human Development. “But that’s a problem unto itself.”

Most U.S. Catholic bishops who have spoken publicly about health care reform have expressed the opinion that one of the richest countries in the world should find a way to guarantee that everyone within its borders has access to medical care, from conception to natural death.**

More here:
catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/0904223.htm

I agree with Bishop Murphy on the part bolded above. It is a problem unto itself.

Public-funded health care shouldn’t be extended to people who sneak into the country illegally. The other problem needs to be taken care of by either deporting, fining businesses that hire people who don’t have legal status to work, giving amnesty or creating a guest worker program with a path to citizenship.

:mad:I don’t care what the bishop said i disagree, because we are not the richest country any more because of illegall immigrants, and people that don’t care about moral’s. My grandmother had 13 kids and it was ok because my grandpar, took care of them all and worked as a train conductor, he worked hard and alot to keep his family alive, God Bless his heart. He came here, and his father became a citizen, like any one else and worked and paid for their medicals.If you are told by the law you cannot stay in a country because your visa has expired, what would you do? Go run to the mountains and hide? Would you render to Ceaser what is his, like Jesus said to do? These people are not just illegal they are law breakers, why would you want to fund criminals? What’s up with that?I pay for my health care, and i would not want to have to change. I don’t know if anyone knows what is going on, but these people are having baby’s here, so they can stay here, with their American baby’s ,that were made here illegal, again I cannot stress it enough! I do not hate them and I feel they should do what every one else does Go about it the right way or we will all be in the poor house. How many kids do you plan to have to support??? Are your kids enough? Think about it!! Love of Christ Nancy Illegal Immigrants!

PS Will I be able to claim them on my income tax? I mean they cannot file and i am supporting them so ???

I also agree with the bolded portion. Two separate issues are at play and the lines are sometimes being blurred in the discussion thereof.

Besides, no human is illegal. We need only to look at the outrage at our Lord’s healing of Gentiles to see that there is a bigger picture at hand.

Peace.

Closed

Please discuss politics only in the Politics 2009 forum

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.