Bishops

How is being a bishop compared to being a priest in terms of the day to day life? Does anyone know the daily schedule of a bishop? Is it that different than that of a priest?

[quote="liltike99, post:1, topic:328500"]
How is being a bishop compared to being a priest in terms of the day to day life? Does anyone know the daily schedule of a bishop? Is it that different than that of a priest?

[/quote]

It's a lot different. A lot more administrative work, a lot more traveling, and a lot less interaction with lay people.

The bishop is the pastor and Shepard of all the souls in his diocese…priests/pastors, deacons, religious, lay ministers…are assistants…my point is that we forget that without a bishop we have no local Church and are not in communion with the one, holy, catholic and apostolic church…not in communion with the Pope…the bishop is thus critical for communion with the universal Church and the Pope and he is the singular responsible Shepard of our souls…and the singular source that our faith is the apostolic faith…the dogma/doctrine and guardian of that deposit of faith for the local Church.

Can. 369 A diocese is a portion of the people of God which is entrusted to a bishop for him to shepherd with the cooperation of the presbyterium, so that, adhering to its pastor and gathered by him in the Holy Spirit through the gospel and the Eucharist, it constitutes a particular church in which the one, holy, catholic, and apostolic Church of Christ is truly present and operative.

Can. 375 §1. Bishops, who by divine institution succeed to the place of the Apostles through the Holy Spirit who has been given to them, are constituted pastors in the Church, so that they are teachers of doctrine, priests of sacred worship, and ministers of governance

Can. 383 §1. In exercising** the function of a pastor, a diocesan bishop is to show himself concerned for all the Christian faithful entrusted to his care**, of whatever age, condition, or nationality they are, whether living in the territory or staying there temporarily; he is also to extend an apostolic spirit to those who are not able to make sufficient use of ordinary pastoral care because of the condition of their life and to those who no longer practice their religion.

Pax Christi

Does a Priest have to be a Monsignor before being appointed a Bishop?

[quote="oldmarine86, post:4, topic:328500"]
Does a Priest have to be a Monsignor before being appointed a Bishop?

[/quote]

No.

Bishops today usually do more paperwork than priestly duties. Before they go to their office, they most likely celebrate Mass privately at their private chapel, then eat breakfast, then go to their office, then deal with the various meetings and paperwork for the day. The only time they stop is to eat lunch and read from their Breviary.

Bishops have alot more responsibilities and more duties. They have to watch over there diocese and they are the leader of there religious community or there diocese. And they have some duties that are similar to a priest.

Ave Maria!

I don’t know of anything specifically for bishops, but when St. Alphonsus Liguori, Bishop and Doctor of the Church, was a candidate for the priesthood, he wrote the following to guide himself,

1. The cleric should frequent the society of holy priests, to be edified by their example.
  2. He should spend at least one hour daily in mental prayer, that he may live in fervor and recollection.
  3. He should visit the Blessed Sacrament frequently, especially during the time of exposition.
  4. He should read the lives of holy priests, that he may imitate their virtues.
  5. He must cultivate a special devotion to the Holy Virgin, the Mother and Queen of the clergy, and consecrate himself particularly to her service.
  6. For the honor of the ecclesiastical state he must be most careful of his reputation.
  7. He should flee from worldly conversation, and not be too familiar with the laity, especially women.
  8. Seeing God in his Superiors, he must obey them, because such is the divine will.
  9. He should be modest, but without affectation, severity, or fastidiousness; and he should always wear the cassock and tonsure.
  10. He should be quiet and gentle at home, exemplary in class, and edifying in church, especially during the public offices.
  11. He should confess every eight days, and communicate still oftener.
  12. He should live free from sin, and practise every virtue.

After he was ordained a priest, he wrote the following,

1. I am a priest; my dignity is above that of the angels. I should then lead a life of angelic purity, and I am obliged to strive for this by all possible means.
  2. A God deigns to obey my voice. I should with far greater reason obey his speaking to me through his inspirations or my Superiors.
  3. The holy Church has honored me: I must therefore honor myself by sanctity of life, by my zeal and labors,etc.
  4. I offer to the Eternal Father Jesus Christ, his Son it is then my duty to clothe myself with the virtues of Jesus Christ, that I may become fit for my office.
  5. Christian people see in me a minister of reconciliation, a mediator between God and man; consequently I must always keep myself in the grace and friendship of God.
  6. The faithful desire to see in me a model of the virtues to which they should aspire; I must then be edifying always and under all circumstances.
  7. Poor sinners that have lost the light of grace come to me to be spiritually resuscitated: I must therefore aid them by my prayers, exhortations, and good example.
  8. Courage is necessary to triumph over the world, the flesh, and the devil; I must then correspond with divine grace that I may combat these virtues victoriously.
  9. To defend religion and fight against error and impiety, one must have knowledge. I will then strive, by every means within my reach, to acquire the necessary knowledge.
  10. Human respect and worldly friendships dishonor the priesthood; I will then avoid them.
  11. Ambition and self-interest have often caused priests to lose their faith; I must then abhor these vices as sources of reprobation.
  12. Gravity should accompany charity in a priest; I will then be prudent and reserved, especially with regard to women, without being proud, rough, or disdainful.
  13. I can please God only by recollection, fervor, and solid virtue, which nourish the holy exercise of prayer; I will then neglect nothing which may tend to their acquisition.
  14. I should seek only the glory of God, my own sanctification, and the salvation of souls; consequently, I must achieve these ends though it should cost my life.
  15. I am a priest; it is my duty to inspire virtue in all with whom I come in contact, and to glorify Jesus Christ,the eternal High-priest.

-from “Dignities and Duties of the Priest” by St. Alphonsus de Liguori

I think there was a saint who was asked by the pope to write on how to fulfill the office of pope and he obeyed. May have been St. Bernard of Clairvaux?

Mary, Mother of the Church, pray for us! St. John Vianney, pray for us! Ave Maria!

fra John Paul

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.