Bit of food

What if a bit of food that had been stuck to one's teeth for a few hours suddenly comes loose during Mass before the reception of Holy Communion? Is one OK to receive Holy Communion as long as one doesn't swallow the bit of food? I am aware of Canon 919.

[quote="Maxirad, post:1, topic:286634"]
What if a bit of food that had been stuck to one's teeth for a few hours suddenly comes loose during Mass before the reception of Holy Communion? Is one OK to receive Holy Communion as long as one doesn't swallow the bit of food? I am aware of Canon 919.

[/quote]

I'd think that if it was a detraction, you could still swallow it. Anyways, you have to draw the line somewhere, because you could also have residue on the inside of your mouth that you might swallow, and no one absains at that.

Yes you can receive. This is teetering on scrupolosity

[quote="Maxirad, post:1, topic:286634"]

[/quote]

Brush your teeth. :compcoff:

The idea of the Eucharistic fast is that the fast causes us to focus on what we are about to receive at Mass.

When we eat food, we are eating either for the purpose of satisfying our bodily hunger, or for the purpose satisfying an urge for pleasure of the palate and a full stomach.

When we fast, we are forgoing that pleasure so that we can recognize and focus on -- not our food hungers and pleasures -- but on Jesus Christ who can fill the longing of our soul in a way that no food can ever satisfy the hunger of our body.

Swallowing a food particle from your mouth is a trivial matter that has nothing to do with the whole idea of the Eucharistic fast. So, the answer to your question is, Yes, you may receive Communion.

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.