Bizarre Protestant Chat Behavior

Periodically I go into a particular Protestant chat room. When I leave I always go with this message, “Before you go to bed, read John 2:5. It will change your life.” It is my way of signing off.

Recently one of the monitors has been questioning why I do it. He wanted to know why I thought it would change lives. I told him I didn’t know why, but that I felt compelled by the Holy Spirit to sign off that way. (Interesting that Protestants can be moved by the Spirit, but they don’t like it when Catholics are).

The monitor told me that he thinks I have some kind of secret agenda in leaving with that particular verse.

Today, before I left, I signed off as usual and the monitor cleared the screen. He actually cleared the screen of a message saying that a scripture verse can change one’s life. I guess if it even smells Catholic, it must stink.

You remind me, I must go back to Rapture Ready and keep on participating, no matter how difficult it is.

I experienced significant changing of my posts on another board as they had “too many Catholic references”.

Don’t let it get you down, I am a big wimp and I took a couple weeks off. But I am going to get back into the mix and defend the truth.

God Bless
Scylla

You mean it wasn’t a deep, dark, devious plot to get them to admit that Jesus has a mother? :bounce: You devil you! :bigyikes:

[quote=ICXCNIKA]Periodically I go into a particular Protestant chat room. When I leave I always go with this message, “Before you go to bed, read John 2:5. It will change your life.” It is my way of signing off.

Recently one of the monitors has been questioning why I do it. He wanted to know why I thought it would change lives. I told him I didn’t know why, but that I felt compelled by the Holy Spirit to sign off that way. (Interesting that Protestants can be moved by the Spirit, but they don’t like it when Catholics are).

The monitor told me that he thinks I have some kind of secret agenda in leaving with that particular verse.

Today, before I left, I signed off as usual and the monitor cleared the screen. He actually cleared the screen of a message saying that a scripture verse can change one’s life. I guess if it even smells Catholic, it must stink.
[/quote]

IT GETS BETTER (OR WORSE).

Tonight I went back to that chat room and was just chatting away with others. The same monitor was there. I shared an answer to prayer with them about something that happened to my dog today. In my account I mentioned that I asked for the intercession of St. Francis. Not only was the screen cleared, I was kicked out.

I didn’t say they had to pray to saints. All I did was share a prayer experience I had and I was booted. I think it is time to complain.

Here is the email I sent to the chat room adminstration:

To Whom It May Concern,
Twice I have been kicked out of the “My Guiding Light” chat room. I have been contacted by one member named “elgrecco” who has questioned the following sign off that I give when ever I leave the room: "Before you go to bed, read John 2:5. It will change your life."

Tonight, after sharing a story about an answered prayer the screen was cleared and I was immediately kicked out.

*According to the Chat Agreement “MyGuidingLight Christian chat wants to encourage an open exchange of Christian information and ideas. You may read a posting that conflicts with what you believe. Take what you find with a grain of salt. You can expect these chat rooms to include information and opinions from a variety of individuals with their own opinion or point of view and that does not necessarily meet the views of MyGuidingLight Christian chat.” I have never engaged in an argument with anyone over the faith nor have I disparaged anyone else’s personal beliefs. In fact, I have prayed with members of the chat room on several occassions. *

I am unsure why I have been kicked out and why my comments have been deleted. No one has complained about anything I have said.

God bless you.

Well, good luck with that email. I hope it works for you, being kicked out of a chat is not fun. My only reasoning behind this is to say that the moderator has no type of defense for what you said, therefore you were kicked out. Sounds really childish to me.

John 2:5…Best sermon in the Bible…

:thumbsup: Best in Christian history, now that I think about it!!

[quote=ICXCNIKA]Periodically I go into a particular Protestant chat room. When I leave I always go with this message, “Before you go to bed, read John 2:5. It will change your life.” It is my way of signing off.

[/quote]

OMGosh!
I am so sorry that happened to you! What I dont understand is how a verse can be labled inappropriate. I know its hard, but try really hard to not label Protestants mean due to one down right confused Protestant. I’m a Protestant and I love ya’ll. Thats right, ya’ll make my days sunny. So please dont get discouraged, I’m sure there’s some Protestant chats that are loving all around. Personally, I stay out chat sites, they gimme the willies! Once again I’m real sorry this guy’s a jerk. God Bless!

1. You’re obviously not in the wrong.
  2. John 2:5 is an outrageously inspiring verse. (thanks for mentioning it)

I’m a protestant and I value the moments when I get to hear about how others are blessed. It’s very uplifting to be a part of that! I award you major props for being kind about it and for, hopefully, not jumping to conclusions about us believers who aren’t Catholic, but still have Christ in our hearts. I’ll pray for you and these “protestant” chat rooms.

God bless you!

I would imagine that the final straw with that mod was your reference to St. Francis.
I have actually watched various protestants I know flinch when a Saint is mentioned.

[quote=april_hosen]OMGosh!
I am so sorry that happened to you! What I dont understand is how a verse can be labled inappropriate. I know its hard, but try really hard to not label Protestants mean due to one down right confused Protestant. I’m a Protestant and I love ya’ll. Thats right, ya’ll make my days sunny. So please dont get discouraged, I’m sure there’s some Protestant chats that are loving all around. Personally, I stay out chat sites, they gimme the willies! Once again I’m real sorry this guy’s a jerk. God Bless!
[/quote]

Thank you for the reminder. No Protestant Christians that I know personally are mean. They are wonderful brothers and sisters in the Lord.

The problem with chat rooms (Protestand or Catholic) is the anonymity, and I think that breeds a certain brazenness in some people.

What is really behind your being kicked off is the moderator’s fear that you are contaminating a Protestant site with Catholic ideas. The disclaimer says all Christians and their beliefs are welcome, but it applies only to their defiinition of the word “Christians”, i. e., Protestants.

I think it apparent that you, as a Catholic, would be welcome as long as you didn’t talk like a Catholic, act like a Catholic or even hint that Catholic beliefs are to be taken seriously. The moderator thinks you are trying to convert the people on that site by the mere mention of any Catholic practice or belief. It is fear of and bias against the Catholic faith that is at the heart of your being kicked off and nothing else.

you could’ve told them to read John 6:66 to read about their spiritual ancestors (interesting verse number … 6:66) , but that would be mean and unkind, wouldn’t it.

[quote=catsrus]I would imagine that the final straw with that mod was your reference to St. Francis.
I have actually watched various protestants I know flinch when a Saint is mentioned.
[/quote]

Sadly, this is probably the truth…I remember several years ago, I was talking with a young relative who is a fundamentalist Baptist about Joan of Arc…
Everything was just fine until I at one point called her “Saint Joan of Arc”…The room got really quiet, really fast. She loves me too much to get snarky with me, but it was obvious that I had just :frowning: stepped over the line of acceptable behaviour.
The:crying: saddest thing is, this woman has 3 daughters who could really enjoy & profit from reading the lives of some of the great saints, but they will probably :nope: not get the chance, for fear of the books being “Catholic”.:crying:

I’ve been an active protestant all my life, but I’ve never gone to an actual protestant chat room or forum before. I guess it’s because I can talk to all the protestants I want through church and home. But I learned about some of these forums when I came to this website and became curious after hearing yall’s annoyed responses to them.
So I have visited a couple of these protestant sites. One of yall previously said they think people become more brazen when talking on these forums because no one knows your identity. I agree 100%. I’m so sorry for your bad experiences on those sites. In the case of being kicked out of a chat room, there’s no call for that unless you’re spouting out profanity or something, which of course you didn’t do. That situation was just handled badly, and most protestants would agree with me there. Please, please just realize that this is not the norm. Anyone can get on these forums and write whatever they want. A lot of people appear to want to debate and get on their soapbox more than have a real discussion (especially on the mentioned protestant sites). And then when yall read some of these protestant posts, yall get a bad opinion of us (I would too) and everyone gets in a huff and nothing is accomplished either way.
It seems to me a lot of people want to just point the finger down at whoever and say “You’re wrong, I’m right!” without actually getting down to the facts and reasons for the differences between what Catholics and protestants. This goes for both sides.
But I must say, this forum handles itself much much better than the protestant ones you have mentioned. I think I need to go search out a good protestant forum that is willing to have a discussion and tell yall about it so maybe there can be some good discussions between Cathlics and protestants without all the mudslinging.
Anyways, I’ll get off my soapbox now. I just want yall to know we’re not all like that :slight_smile: Have a great day!

[/quote]

Maybe it was considered to be a violation of TOS ?

If one is on a website which has specific rules, one has to follow them as a condition of participating - though some can be very stringent. ##

I think I need to go search out a good protestant forum that is willing to have a discussion and tell yall about it so maybe there can be some good discussions between Cathlics and protestants without all the mudslinging.

Well, jdc, if you find one do tell us about it because from my experience no such website exists. It seems that those Protestants who bother to have discussion boards aren’t the understanding sort you are used to dealing with. I wish you luck! :wink:

Wow, I’d say that the person who had a problem with John 2:5 did not have a problem so much with you than Jesus. Apparently he does not want to “do whatever he tells you.”

God Bless our Blessed Mother…Telling it like it is for 2000 years and still going!

Thanks for the tip.

I tried that site after seeing your thread. it only took me 20 minutes to get kicked out :thumbsup:

[quote=ICXCNIKA]Thank you for the reminder. No Protestant Christians that I know personally are mean. They are wonderful brothers and sisters in the Lord.

The problem with chat rooms (Protestand or Catholic) is the anonymity, and I think that breeds a certain brazenness in some people.
[/quote]

I can certainly resonate with that! The same is true of forums. Here is a notice that I have had to post in some form or another on several threads.

[size=4]CAF in no way encourages “board swarming”.

Do not, repeat, DO NOT, post links to that forum on this thread or I will be forced to close and pull it.

If you do not appreciate anti-Catholics swarming us here at CAF then consider how they will feel and how they will react if a bunch of you swarm them there. The result is often a “board war” and creates a moderation nightmare as well as doing no one any good.

Luke 6:31 And as you would that men should do to you, do you also to them in like manner.

Matthew 7:12 All things therefore whatsoever you would that men should do to you, do you also to them. For this is the law and the prophets.

Michael Francis[/size]

I had a Catholic friend with a serious vitrious streak. Anyway, he would go on chat boards and post oppositional statements just to be contrary. What happened to you is not that, it was wrong, but Sometimes the behavior is just something to stir the people, like poking the fishtank, not nice, but done none the less.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.