BK veggie burgers

Are we allowed to eat veggie burgers on Fridays during Lent? They might be cooked on the same grill as the beef, and therefore may have some meat juice cooked in. I’m not sure if they are cooked on the same grill though.

I briefly worked at McDonald’s and they were required to clean the grill after every batch of patties. I’m not sure if they do that at Burger King, though.

I think it’s okay. I eat them every now and then since I don’t eat meat. But if you’re very worried, you could ask the manager of the place. I think they are required to let you know if they are cooked like that. You can say you need to know for religious reasons.

I think you are acting in good faith trying to avoid eating meat on Friday. Even if the veggie patties and beef patties came in contact with each other indirectly, that’s not your fault. It’s the spirit and effort of fasting that counts.

I rarely eat meat, so I don’t pay very close attention to the abstinence rules, but my understanding is that animal broths and fats are ok on abstinence days, so I’m sure a little grease / beef juice transfer onto your veggie burger is A-OK :wink:

i worked at burger king and it is not cooked on the same grill, the truth is they microwave it

No they dont! In my local burger king you can see through to the kitchen from the counter where you place your order and watch them cook food and they dont microwave food, ask them if they are grilling or deep frying it?

at the burger king i worked at we took the veggie patty put it in a carton and microwaved it. they dont fry or grill it

They absolutely shouldn’t be cooked on the same grill that meat is.

If they are, that’s not your fault.

Sarah x :slight_smile:

I was always taught that even liquids or fats (such as bacon grease) which contained meat juices were forbidden on days of abstinence.

Ask a priest. Better yet, start with BK. Find out how they cook it, and if it’s on the same grill as the beef patties, then ask a priest.

I think you have to look at the reason you are abstaining from meat and see whether eating a veggie burger that may have a bit of grease contamination breaks the spirit of your intention.

Personally, I wouldn’t have a problem with it, but sensitivity is probably most important. Romans 14 comes to mind…

Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a person to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble.

I can’t speak to what “da rulz” were when you were taught, because I am a fairly recent convert, but I have read the Q&A from the USSCB website, which has also been posted on several threads on this topic this year, and the bottom line is that whatever you were taught is no longer the case, if it ever was. Veggie burgers are fine, even if they are fried on a grill that recently had a real hamburger. Also fine are foods with meat broths/juices/fats.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.