Blagojevich trial will spotlight worst elements of state's political culture

Another example of Illinois politicking at its finest.:D

"Blagojevich trial will spotlight worst elements of state's political culture
Democrats fear fallout from testimony; GOP sees chance to rebuild power

Former Gov. Rod Blagojevich's federal corruption trial will feature prosecutors feeding voters a steady reminder of the worst elements of Illinois' political culture — allegations that money, insider influence and personal interest drive public policy in this state."...

Entire article here: chicagotribune.com/news/local/blagojevich/ct-met-blagojevich-trial-politics-20100602,0,2512076.story

"...We still don't have all the details about involvement of Obama administration officials in the sale of Obama's former Illinois U.S. Senate seat by Rod Blagojevich. And we still don't have answers about the charge that Obama Deputy Chief of Staff Jim Messina offered a federal job to Colorado Democratic Senate candidate Andrew Romanoff to keep him out of the Senate race. There is also the report that President Obama tried to push disgruntled White House Counsel Greg Craig out of the White House by offering a federal judgeship on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit. And now we have Joe Sestak," he said. "The Chicago Machine has truly come to Washington."

Source: news.yahoo.com/s/usnw/20100527/pl_usnw/DC12176_1

Don't forget that not only Obama, but Rohm Emanuel - his Chief of Staff, and Hillary are all from the Chicago area. Hillary's move to NY was merely political.

Corruption in government needs to be exposed in a free press.

Interestingly read what the Catechism says about journalists, and the requirement to be honest.

Why do I feel as if Chicagoans are being attacked on this forum?

Still one of the most visited places in the world, for better or for worse. I live outside Chicago and I doubt if I would feel safer anywhere else on the planet.

[quote="WatchingMedia, post:3, topic:200550"]
Don't forget that not only Obama, but Rohm Emanuel - his Chief of Staff, and Hillary are all from the Chicago area.

[/quote]

Good gracious! So are the cardinal and Mr. T if you think about it.

Hillary was never a Chicago politician. And, the IL governor in prison is not a Democrat, nor is he from Chicago.

[quote="ProVobis, post:4, topic:200550"]
Why do I feel as if Chicagoans are being attacked on this forum?

Still one of the most visited places in the world, for better or for worse. I live outside Chicago and I doubt if I would feel safer anywhere else on the planet.

[/quote]

Its the second largest diocese in the country.

With growing numbers of Polish and hispanics. (Even legal ones. :))

As a lifelong Illinois resident and political junkie, I urge everyone to keep several important points in mind throughout this trial:

1. Just because someone is subpoenaed to testify in a trial does NOT mean they did anything wrong. It simply means that the prosecution or defense wants them to verify or disprove something. Blago's defense attorneys issued the subpoenas against Rahm, Jarrett, etc. on the grounds that they allegedly can "prove" that Blago didn't say or do anything illegal when he discussed the Senate seat with them.

2. Blago's ultimate ambition was (and perhaps still is) to become president. Everything he did from the moment he first became governor in 2003 -- even before that -- was aimed at making himself rich and famous enough to get elected POTUS. His stratospheric "pay to play" fundraising, his grandiose healthcare plan (which he never bothered explaining how it would be paid for), his insistence that he would never raise taxes --- all of it was aimed at a higher office. In 2003 and early 2004 he was actually being mentioned as a possible POTUS or veep candidate for 2008. However....

3. Obama stole his thunder with the famous 2004 DNC speech, and suddenly, Blago was no longer the Democrat's darling. Shortly afterward, his own father-in-law, Chicago Alderman Dick Mell, publicly accused him of selling state jobs and appointments in return for large campaign donations of $25,000 to $50,000. After that the feds began investigating him and it was all downhill.

4. As far as Blago is concerned, Obama "ruined" his best chance to be president, and he (Blago) ought to be in the White House right now; so Blago delights in making Obama look as bad as possible. People who worked with Blago and know him well have testified to this. You should never underestimate how spiteful Blago can be.

5. As I've explained before on these forums, I am no Obama fan, I did not vote for him and find almost all of his policies objectionable. However -- and others who are more familiar with Chicago politics feel free to weigh in on this -- there is a lot more to being part of "the Democratic Machine" than simply living in Cook County and holding an elective office, and Obama was NOT a classic "Machine" politician. Classic Machine pols are born and raised in Chicago, have political connections going back several generations (case in point: the current Mayor, Richard M. Daley, and his father, Richard J. Daley, who between them, ruled Chicago for 42 of the last 55 years), and are far more immersed in local politics or state politics than national politics. For a true Chicago Machine pol, serving in the Statehouse or Congress is just a stepping stone toward the ultimate goal of becoming an alderman or county board member. Obama never fit that description. Rahm Emanuel, on the other hand, might -- there have been persistent rumors that he wants to leave the White House and run for mayor of Chicago.

6. Hillary Clinton was born and raised in the Chicago suburbs, but left after graduating high school, and never held elective office there. Whatever her other faults, she is no more a "Chicago politician" than Obama is a Hawaiian politician.

7. Conservatives should not allow their distaste for Obama or their lingering grudges against US Atty. Patrick Fitzgerald for his prosecution of Scooter Libby to cloud their judgement of Blago. Believe me, Blago really is every bit as crazy, crooked, and incompetent as he seems. He is absolutely NOT the innocent victim of persecution that he makes himself out to be.

blagojevich strikes me as an egomaniac. if he would ever become president, i would seriously leave the united states.:(

blagojevich strikes me as an egomaniac. if he would ever become president, i would seriously leave the united states

As a matter of fact, thousands of individuals and many businesses did leave Illinois while Blago was governor. He always claimed he wouldn't raise taxes on "people" but he had no qualms about raising business license fees and other things that made the cost of doing business in Illinois excessively burdensome, particularly in industries like trucking.

Moreover, his insistence on expanding social progams without considering how they would be paid for left the state's finances in such a shambles (a $9 billion deficit that has since grown to about $13 billion) that there will be no way to correct it without massive tax increases, massive program cuts, or both -- and either way state residents suffer greatly. Personally I think he deserves jail just for what he did to the state's finances, but I digress.

[quote="Secret_Square, post:9, topic:200550"]
blagojevich strikes me as an egomaniac. if he would ever become president, i would seriously leave the united states

As a matter of fact, thousands of individuals and many businesses did leave Illinois while Blago was governor. He always claimed he wouldn't raise taxes on "people" but he had no qualms about raising business license fees and other things that made the cost of doing business in Illinois excessively burdensome, particularly in industries like trucking.

Moreover, his insistence on expanding social progams without considering how they would be paid for left the state's finances in such a shambles (a $9 billion deficit that has since grown to about $13 billion) that there will be no way to correct it without massive tax increases, massive program cuts, or both -- and either way state residents suffer greatly. Personally I think he deserves jail just for what he did to the state's finances, but I digress.

[/quote]

well. i guess we will have to see how his trial plays out. just from the little bit i have seen of him on television since his troubles began, i have not been impressed. i pray he never gets the financial backing to EVER run for president. he looks like he is a JFK wannabe.
i don't belong to his political party, but he looks like someone that could do a lot of damage. i think he spends a lot of time looking at himself in the mirror.

[quote="Secret_Square, post:7, topic:200550"]
As a lifelong Illinois resident and political junkie, I urge everyone to keep several important points in mind throughout this trial:

1. Just because someone is subpoenaed to testify in a trial does NOT mean they did anything wrong. It simply means that the prosecution or defense wants them to verify or disprove something. Blago's defense attorneys issued the subpoenas against Rahm, Jarrett, etc. on the grounds that they allegedly can "prove" that Blago didn't say or do anything illegal when he discussed the Senate seat with them.

2. Blago's ultimate ambition was (and perhaps still is) to become president. Everything he did from the moment he first became governor in 2003 -- even before that -- was aimed at making himself rich and famous enough to get elected POTUS. His stratospheric "pay to play" fundraising, his grandiose healthcare plan (which he never bothered explaining how it would be paid for), his insistence that he would never raise taxes --- all of it was aimed at a higher office. In 2003 and early 2004 he was actually being mentioned as a possible POTUS or veep candidate for 2008. However....

3. Obama stole his thunder with the famous 2004 DNC speech, and suddenly, Blago was no longer the Democrat's darling. Shortly afterward, his own father-in-law, Chicago Alderman Dick Mell, publicly accused him of selling state jobs and appointments in return for large campaign donations of $25,000 to $50,000. After that the feds began investigating him and it was all downhill.

4. As far as Blago is concerned, Obama "ruined" his best chance to be president, and he (Blago) ought to be in the White House right now; so Blago delights in making Obama look as bad as possible. People who worked with Blago and know him well have testified to this. You should never underestimate how spiteful Blago can be.

5. As I've explained before on these forums, I am no Obama fan, I did not vote for him and find almost all of his policies objectionable. However -- and others who are more familiar with Chicago politics feel free to weigh in on this -- there is a lot more to being part of "the Democratic Machine" than simply living in Cook County and holding an elective office, and Obama was NOT a classic "Machine" politician. Classic Machine pols are born and raised in Chicago, have political connections going back several generations (case in point: the current Mayor, Richard M. Daley, and his father, Richard J. Daley, who between them, ruled Chicago for 42 of the last 55 years), and are far more immersed in local politics or state politics than national politics. For a true Chicago Machine pol, serving in the Statehouse or Congress is just a stepping stone toward the ultimate goal of becoming an alderman or county board member. Obama never fit that description. Rahm Emanuel, on the other hand, might -- there have been persistent rumors that he wants to leave the White House and run for mayor of Chicago.

6. Hillary Clinton was born and raised in the Chicago suburbs, but left after graduating high school, and never held elective office there. Whatever her other faults, she is no more a "Chicago politician" than Obama is a Hawaiian politician.

7. Conservatives should not allow their distaste for Obama or their lingering grudges against US Atty. Patrick Fitzgerald for his prosecution of Scooter Libby to cloud their judgement of Blago. Believe me, Blago really is every bit as crazy, crooked, and incompetent as he seems. He is absolutely NOT the innocent victim of persecution that he makes himself out to be.

[/quote]

He appears to be the perfect democrat presidential canidate.

[quote="estesbob, post:11, topic:200550"]

[/quote]

that is exactly what i was thinking! :D

[/quote]

If you are a republican and are trying to paint the opposing party in the worst possible light, then I suppose your comments are true. I suspect, however, that most Democrats in Illinois are quite happy he's out of office.

That's just my guess - however I am not a Democrat nor a Republican, nor do I live in Illinois!

[quote="Christopher68, post:13, topic:200550"]
If you are a republican and are trying to paint the opposing party in the worst possible light, then I suppose your comments are true. I suspect, however, that most Democrats in Illinois are quite happy he's out of office.

That's just my guess - however I am not a Democrat nor a Republican, nor do I live in Illinois!

[/quote]

I belive the motto on the Illionios License Plates is "Illinois-where our Governors make our license plates"

[/quote]

Wasn't it the last Republican administration where the president and VP had three DUI's among them? Around here those are felonies.

Why don't you folks deal with thread issues and leave off the throw out slurs?

[quote="Beau_Ouiville, post:15, topic:200550"]
Wasn't it the last Republican administration where the president and VP had three DUI's among them? Around here those are felonies.

[/quote]

I beleive the thread is about Blagojevich, not Bush or Cheney- And other than the fact he is not a womanizer(at least we dont know if he is) he would be a perfect Democrat canidate for president.

[quote="Beau_Ouiville, post:15, topic:200550"]

[/quote]

Beau,

Regrettably, this forum has many overtly political posters who never turn down an opportunity to tarnish their political opponents.

Obviously it is difficult to detect the 'tone' of someones post just from reading their written words. I suspect that most of the time they are trying to be more humorous than malicious. But even so, it definitely adds an un-Christianlike vibe to the forum. It also validates my long ago decision to be a political Independent.

I suspect, however, that most Democrats in Illinois are quite happy he's out of office.

Your suspicions are correct. Some of Blago's most intense political rivals/enemies were fellow Democrats -- particularly Illinois House Speaker Michael Madigan (a classic machine pol if ever there was one). Madigan barely spoke to Blago for years, refused to take his phone calls (a smart move in retrospect), and openly suggested impeachment several months BEFORE Blago's arrest. Pat Quinn, the lieutenant governor who took Blago's place, also did not get along with Blago and went almost two years without speaking to him. They were elected together only because in Illinois, the gov and lt gov don't choose each other as running mates, they run separately in the primaries.

Also, I don't think anyone should worry that Blago would get elected POTUS now. As part of his impeachment and removal from office, he was also banned from ever holding public office in Illinois again. I suppose that, theoretically, he could move to another state after he gets out of prison (or is acquitted) and run for public office there, but that doesn't seem too likely.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.