Blame?

Why do people seek to blame? Could it be that they seek the fulfillment of their view of life, and need to justify the lack of fulfillment of their view of life?

To blame? Sorry, I cannot understand the English Sentence.
If it means to blame others, there is a sentence of an old Football (the real one, not soccer) trainer, saying that “the best defense is a good attack”.
I do not know whether this helps.

First to be sure of the meaning of the word used, we have this from Dictionary.com:

Blame:

1. to hold responsible; find fault with; censure: I don’t blame you for leaving him.
  2. to place the responsibility for (a fault, error, etc.) (usually followed by on ): I blame the accident on her.

Now - “Blame”, as in establishing responsibility can and does have many positive aspects. In the “Quality Assurance” field where I worked for many years this would be referred to a “root cause analysis”. It looks objectively at a failure and seeks to determine the cause(s) so that proper corrections can be made to prevent future problems.

Now I recognize that this is not what you are really asking about in your OP, but I wanted to toss this in because one needs to look at the particular situation and intent of the ones seeking to place blame (fix responsibility).

As to your actual question as asked, it seems very general and so it is difficult to really answer since, as noted above there are people who have legitimate reasons to look into and properly fix responsibility/blame for something.
Likewise there are people who are involved in a situation who might choose to either accept of deflect their portion of responsibility for something.
Then there are people who have no real connection with a given situation and only know what they hear from others and from this they give their opinion as to responsibility…

The intent of any of these people will likely vary.

If you would like to be a bit more specific the type of situation that prompted the question, then perhaps we could be a bit more specific in our answers.

Peace
James

excuse me soccer is the old football like for a few hundred years

Pfaffenhoffen
thanks for the reply

Was stationed in Giessen Germany, about 25 K north of Frankfurt, for 2 years, Germany is a beautiful country. You are right about real football, no matter how old the other is. :wink:

James
thanks for the reply

Well as I understand it, there is error, there is correction, and there is something to blame. Error is what it is, and correction replaces that which is error with that which is correct, but something to blame is something else.

Error = That which happened that should not have
Blame = The cause of the error
Correction = Action taken to fix the cause of the error to prevent it happening again.

So - properly used, fixing “blame” is a necessary step in making correction.

Improperly used it will not only fail to fix the problem, it will likely make things worse.

Was there something particular that caused you to start this thread?

Peace
James

I was teasing … and it is not a matter for this site, but … one more … poor USA football. The USA is champion of the World for it is only played in America. The real football in universal. You should call American Football=Soccer. No one calls Real Football “soccer” but Americans.

Look I am not a native English speaker … just teasing … but it is true, inst it?

James
thanks for the reply

There is a yard stick, and what is it does one measure by? Is it the expected or desired fulfillment of what in one’s heart? If so, then what is to blame for the lack of that desired fulfillment, and according to who’s approval, or may better said, satisfaction?

For example, if fulfillment of self, is not met, then what is to blame for that? Errors are fixed, but blame it is taken. Something is to blame, or takes the blame.

I’m not entirely sure I’m understanding you here, but…

In ourselves, this is what we need to pray about. We pray for understanding. That God point us toward the “root cause” of our lack of fulfillment. In the Gospel Jesus refers to the “plank” in our eye. (Mt 7:3-5)
3 And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? 4 Or how can you say to your brother, "Let me remove the speck from your eye’; and look, a plank is in your own eye? 5 Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

For the Christian this usually is a problem that stems from an underdeveloped understanding or implementation of Christian Love in ones life.

Does this help?

Peace
James

To blame sometimes means to put someone down.
The idea is, if I put somene below me, then I move up the ladder.
Make them look stupid and I look smart.
Back stabbing, slander, and so on, makes me feel superior.

It also means dodging the bullet meant for me if I can point to someone else.

I think some of the reasons vary.

In some cases it may be part of not taking personal responsibility or trying to manage the views that others have of the self. For some there is a desire to be seen as a victim. Some times blame is appropriate because the person to which blame is assigned performed some action that resulted in a problem for another (ex: a person blames a drunk driver for damaging her car and causing her to miss an important meeting).

Yes. All that you say here is true.
If these are the reasons then they are evidences of selfishness, a lack of, or defect in, Christian Love.

Peace
James

I’m not sure if this is were you are coming from but -

Blaming others for our actions is a human characteristic. When challenged, we jump to our own defense rather than admit we were wrong. The Genesis account of the Fall tells us that.

To paraphrase -
‘Did you eat fruit from that tree?’

‘It wasn’t my fault, she made me do it and by the way, YOU made me marry her.’

‘Is this true?’

‘It wasn’t my fault either, I was tricked by a talking snake.’

Any of this sound familiar? Interestingly, the snake or serpent who can allegedly talk doesn’t deny the part it played in the whole scenario. :smiley:

In addition to human nature, we live in a ‘blame and claim’ culture, were people are no longer take responsibility for their own actions, but make a lucrative career out of their own stupidity. I suppose you can see the attraction. To illustrate; when I was growing up, if you ran into a concrete pillar and bumped your head, or met with some other calamity of a similar nature, you would have been told you were doing something you shouldn’t have been, (which more often than not you were) and to be more careful in future. You were then patched up with a plaster, given a little TLC, and sent out to make the same mistakes all over again and the same lecture on being careful was delivered.

Not so today. Rather than teach children to deal with danger, the person who put that nasty pillar, with it’s nasty jagged edges is to blame, and if only they had had the foresight to build the pillar six inches to the left, the accident would never have happened. In which case, you dial 999 (or 911 in the US) on your mobile and ask for a lawyer. I used the example of a concrete pillar because a little boy who attends the same school as my children, ran into a pillar at the school gate. I felt sorry for the little guy because he did give himself a nasty cut on the head. However, who’s fault was it? The schools - because, and I quote ‘those pillars are incredibly dangerous and the school should really do something about them.’

Forgot to add, it happened outside the school grounds and the boys mother was with him.

thanks for the reply

James; it seems you are trying to solve some personal problem I might have. The example of “self fulfillment” is an example, not a problem I am trying to resolve. Besides, that which Jesus teaches is about the fulfillment of what is in God’s heart in mankind, (His expectations and desire) not the fulfillment of what is in a man’s heart.

The Christian seeks to make God’s Will his will. The Christian seeks to subordinate the human heart to the heart of God. In this way are we elevated.

Peace
James

fred conty
thanks for the reply

There is a lot of truth in what your saying there. If you notice it seems that Adam tried to do just that in many respects. Hence it seems when the Lord questioned Adam, Adam may have realized that if he toke the blame, or responsibility, he could not do so and live. Therefore the Lord didn’t require of Adam, that which Adam did not have.

If Adam did not have what it toke, to take the blame or responsibility, not only for that which kills the soul, but also is not the fulfillment of what is in God’s heart, then how is what is in God’s Heart fulfilled?

Actually Adam had what it took. He didn’t use it. He had God’s friendship. And by abandoning it, he brought spiritual death on humanity.

God’s Heart is fulfilled through Love, which starts with humility, repentance and obedience.

ThinkingSapien
thanks for the reply

Excellent example, consider in your example, even if all is restored on the victim’s part, as far as heath and property, and the DUI’er never does such a thing again, the blame or responsibility for this incident is never removed, let alone of the out come is worse.

Is it possible that the blame is removed?

minkymurph
thanks for the reply

I am sorry to admit, but its very possible that the mind set you speak of, came from my country. Your example is typical here in the U.S.

On the part of your paraphrase of the Garden. if you notice the serpent wasn’t questioned by the Lord so the serpent had no opportunity to answer to the accusation. So who is to blame, and how can it be removed in the case of Adam and Eve?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.