Blamed for blindsiding people with Holy Day of Obligation

At my church group I had a couple of announcements to make and I mentioned the end of the month was the Solemnity of St Joseph which is a HDO so “now that everybody knows they have to attend, ha ha!”

I was trying to be funny but now there’s grumbling that I blindsided people, who didn’t realize it was a HDO, into a state of sin by forcing them to go to mass on a Tuesday.

Did I commit a faux pas??

Yes you did. I’m sure some might ha got it, but most people are listening (if they’re listening) for information. Next time, if the notion strikes, acknowledge the joke at the time.

St. Joseph’s Day is not an HDO where I am in MN.

It was the Roman Catholic Church, not you, that decided St. Joseph’s Day is a Holy Day of Obligation. What other factual information would they like you to conceal from them?

St. Joseph is not a Holy Day of Obligation in the USA. It is in the 1983 Code of Canon Law, but canon law also provides for bishop’s conferences to omit or transfer some, and St. Joseph is omitted.

http://www.usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/what-we-believe/canon-law/complementary-norms/canon-1246.cfm

I could have sworn it was!

I’ll issue an apology next week’s meeting

Yeah. Unless I’m mistaken, you were factually incorrect, so… you might want to let people know you made a mistake.

Humility is a good thing for Catholics to embrace. :wink:

Right. Canon 1246 also mentions the feast of Sts. Peter & Paul as a holy day of obligation, but that obligation is also suppressed in the U.S. The Epiphany and Corpus Christi are both transferred to Sunday, and Ascension is transferred to Sunday in about 2/3 of the U.S. dioceses.

I will choose to apologize for potentially blindsiding people and strongly recommend they attend even though it’s not a HDO. Joseph was the step father of Our Lord, after all

The Solemnity of St Joseph is a Solemnity and is a Holy Day of Obligation for the Church. However, in the United States and in many other nations the obligation has been dispensed with.

According to Wikipedia (which doesn’t list every single nation in the world) the only nations that still have St. Joseph’s Day as a Holy Day of Obligation are:

• Croatia
  • Indonesia
  • Lebanon
  • Malta
  • Spain
  • just the Diocese of Lugano in Switzerland
  • Vatican City

God bless

Surprised Italy isn’t on that list. In my heavily Irish Massachusetts neighborhood, our Italian neighbors used to refer to March 19 as the “Italian St. Patrick’s Day,” with much public display.

In some US cities, the St Joseph’s Day tradition for both Italians and Poles is to wear red to quite literally contrast with St Patrick’s day green. Just a little ethnic rivalry.

I was surprised to find out Ash Wednesday is not a Holy Day of Obligation; I had thought it was for years. Good to have that list now. I’m saving it among my Catholic oriented bookmarks.

Feast of St. Joseph is not a Holy Day of Obligation…

Unless you are in a position of leadership, I wouldn’t go making “strong recommendations” to other members of the laity. It’s not really your place to appoint yourself as everyone’s spiritual director. It’s a bit presumptuous.

Yes it is… however, in most part of the world, including the United States, the obligation has been dispensed with.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.