Blasphemous "creepy cross" at Target

I thought maybe I was being less caring about this as I should be since I was not really offended. Would I buy it? No. But, when there are SO many more disrespectful things going on out there, this just wouldn't be the hill I'd want to die on.

[quote="puzzleannie, post:9, topic:215000"]
nobody said it was not a big deal, they are saying however that it is not a federal case, which it is not, as the OP makes it seem to be a deliberate calculated attack on the Catholic faith. It is more likely to result from ignorance, and if your protest helps to cure some of that ignorance so much the better. But it is not helpful to go looking for persecution where none exists to the extent that we miss the real thing (the ghastly publicly funded art exhibit in Colorado for instance). and curious how you know whether I or anyone else who has responded is a typical Catholic, lax or not. are you prescient or are you receiving locutions from the Holy Spirit?

[/quote]

I live in CO, but am totally out of the art "loop", what are you talking about?

[quote="SaintSerafina, post:8, topic:215000"]

Shame on you who don't think making a mockery of our holy Crucifix is a big deal, even if it wasn't intended to be disrespectful. How can you not want to stand up for a symbol of Christ's sacrifice and fight against it being blasphemed?

Typical lax "Catholics".

[/quote]

From the Sermon on the Mount:

Matthew 7:1 "Stop judging, that you may not be judged. *
*2 **For as you judge, so will you be judged, and the measure with which you measure will be measured out to you. **3 **Why do you notice the splinter in your brother's eye, but do not perceive the wooden beam in your own eye? **4 **How can you say to your brother, 'Let me remove that splinter from your eye,' while the wooden beam is in your eye?

FYI - It is not a crucifix since it does not have the corpus.

[quote="Agape_Thom, post:3, topic:215000"]
If you should happen to visit some of the older graveyards and cemeteries in the New England area, you will see many crosses with one or more skulls on them. It was quite common through the mid 1800's.

[/quote]

Yes but those were created under a different context.....not as a halloween decoration.

oh PLEASE. Really? REALLY?! I expect this sort of stuff fron the Duggars, not Catholics.

Newsflash? Although the cross is a Christian symbol, it's not the ONLY THING IT'S USED FOR. Goodness, this forum is going to be hell the next month isn't it?

[quote="Rascalking, post:4, topic:215000"]
Um, your free to do what ever you want, but this wasn't meant to offend or be blasphemous. In fact, acting like this does sort makes it easier for anti-catholic people to paint us all as whack jobs.

[/quote]

This is true.

[quote="SaintSerafina, post:8, topic:215000"]

Shame on you who don't think making a mockery of our holy Crucifix is a big deal, even if it wasn't intended to be disrespectful. How can you not want to stand up for a symbol of Christ's sacrifice and fight against it being blasphemed?

Typical lax "Catholics".

[/quote]

From the Sermon on the Mount:

Matthew 7:1 "Stop judging, that you may not be judged. *
*2 **For as you judge, so will you be judged, and the measure with which you measure will be measured out to you. **3 **Why do you notice the splinter in your brother's eye, but do not perceive the wooden beam in your own eye? **4 **How can you say to your brother, 'Let me remove that splinter from your eye,' while the wooden beam is in your eye?

FYI - It is not a crucifix since it does not have the corpus.

[quote="Sierrah, post:23, topic:215000"]
Yes but those were created under a different context.....not as a halloween decoration.

[/quote]

I suspect that is what this thread really is about. This Halloween debate pops up every year at this time. While I understand both sides of the Halloween debate, calling others lax for not protesting Halloween excess, or even participating in the morbid side of Halloween, is not productive.

[quote="Jea9, post:21, topic:215000"]

I live in CO, but am totally out of the art "loop", what are you talking about?

[/quote]

I believe she is referring to a controversial artwork currently on display in Loveland's city owned museum/gallery. Here is a thread discussing it:
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=500076

The same thread was started on another Catholic Bulletin Board. Interestingly enough, the responses are opposite of those on this board.

angelqueen.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=382271&sid=9fbf6b49cd71be121aad90828b2e55b9

With all due respect for what Jesus suffered---and achieved!---in the crucifixion, the fact remains that the cross per se precedes Christianity. Recall also that gangs use crosses as well, and it certainly has no Christian meaning in **that **case.

I would suspect, though, that since the Bible tells us that there's a spiritual realm, the old Enemy would not hesitate to use Halloween decor as a "crack in the wall" to denigrate/trivialize what the LORD of the universe did in His Atonement. IOW, whether consciously or not, the producers of those decorations (as well as the companies that produce junk like chocolate eyeballs, a yearly eyesore for about 15 years now) could well be pawns in the Cosmic Drama.

Personally, I think writing Target about that is like sticking one's finger in a leaky dike. Unfortunately. (Then again, there's David & Goliath...;))

[quote="MtnDwellar, post:29, topic:215000"]
The same thread was started on another Catholic Bulletin Board. Interestingly enough, the responses are opposite of those on this board.

angelqueen.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=382271&sid=9fbf6b49cd71be121aad90828b2e55b9

[/quote]

This shows the clear contrast between the guidance those are receiving in the novus ordo versus the traditional.

[quote="SaintSerafina, post:31, topic:215000"]
This shows the clear contrast between the guidance those are receiving in the novus ordo versus the traditional.

[/quote]

That thread also shows who is doing more damage to the church. Radicals who cannot grasp change and make it easier for people to belittle us Catholics, or Catholics who do their best, accept change in the church, love their faith dearly, and will defend it to the death.

Perhaps your frantic orthodoxy is rooted in doubt, to quote a famous theologian.

[/quote]

How? What does the current order of the Mass have to do with Target boycotts?

[/quote]

Its obvious you haven't been a member here long, or you would see how many members of CAF are traditional.

I wasn't offended by the cross since it looked like it was meant to be a gravestone and if you go to an old cemetery you might find all sorts of stuff on grave stones. If anything I would protest that it is a ****** and cheesy decoration but that is about it. As for as the reaction on angelqueen, don't pay any attention to that. Sadly, there are some who are traditionalists who act more like fundamentalists than Catholics :(.

[quote="puzzleannie, post:5, topic:215000"]
I doubt the tacky toy was intending to copy a crucifix, just to copy old gravestones, a common if trite halloween decoration. but the rights of those who feel offended by such a store display should be respected by a wise retailer.

[/quote]

Exactly, the OP needs to relax...

Really people? A boycott?

It’s clearly a creepy tombstone. It’s like a haunted house.

I love Halloween - it’s like laughing at death.

Don’t shop at chain stores.

hi guys. I have a question that id like any of u to please tell me. Do u guys think that this crucifix is satanic?
cuttingedge.org/Benedict_TwistedCross.jpg

The so called "twisted cross"is apperantly satanic according to some ppl i know. Look at this website:

cuttingedge.org/news/n2029.cfm

Anyone know anything?

I hope it doesn’t rain, sweetie. With your nose so high in the air, you’ll drown

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.