Blasphemous thoughts against the Holy Spirit

I have developed a habit of thinking “God Damn” against the Holy Spirit and I’m afraid today I committed a mortal sin by thinking it. What’s so strange is that today everything was going so well, I went to adoration, I was happily obeying God, experiencing consolations, and then I start thinking these thoughts against the Holy Spirit, like I’m playing around with this unpardonable sin. Could you please pray for grace to discern scrupulosity (because I have that) and the grace to repent of this sin?

I’m sorry that I keep posting new threads here, if you want me to I’ll stop. I’m trying to give my friends a break, and not always going to them for help when I get this way. It’s just really painful, and when I try to dismiss all of it as scrupulosity, it gets worse, because then I’m tempted to believe everything I’ve experienced has just been a delusion, including the good things, like consolations and spiritual guidance. This is why I’m going to RCIA, so I can have a foundation that’s stronger than what I have now, and so I can be connected to the true Church instead of fumbling around like I am now.

:gopray:

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Glory Be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning is now ever shall be world without end
Amen.

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thy intercession, was left unaided.
Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother. To thee do I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy, hear and answer me. Amen

:signofcross:

Going to RCIA? Good for you! :):thumbsup::yup::clapping::bounce:

Are you already in the scrupulosity group on the forum?

No, you’re not bothering me, at least. As far as I’m concerned, post away!

Yeah, being connected to the true Church should help. There’s nothing quite like receiving the sacraments.

Anyway, that sounds difficult. Let me say a prayer for you. The Blessed Virgin is always a good one to go to. How can we go wrong with “Hail Mary”, right?

Hail Mary, Full of Grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blest is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

I’ve had the same thoughts before with thinking “GD.” It is really quite a powerful request, when you think/analyze what you are asking for!! That alone helps to keep me from thinking it!

Here is a prayer you can pray when you’re feeling overwhelmed:

Disciple:

My Lord and God, be not far from me: my God, hasten to help me, for a throng of thoughts have risen up against me and great fears plague my soul. How shall I ever pass through them unhurt? How shall I ever break their power over me?

Jesus:

I will go before you and will humble the great ones of the earth. I will open prison doors for you and to you I will reveal hidden secrets.

Disciple:

Lord, do as You say, and let all evil thoughts flee before Your face. My fond hope and only consolation is to make You my refuge in every affliction, to confide in You, to call You from the deaths of my heart, and patiently await Your comforting gift.

Amen

Say this as many times as you have to to help clear your mind of any negative or obtrusive thoughts.

Human beings can be weak creatures...if we have a bored mind it will wander off onto some random silly nonsense mischief.... and when you attempt to rectify your mind onto more appropriate thoughts.... it will fight you because what you want is not fun....

if you think i’m trying to say we have two minds then your correct…
one thing that helped myself was this… I blamed my bad thoughts on the devil…
maybe I was right…maybe I was wrong…
Well when things were at its worst… saying and thinking things like you do…
I would tell the Devil to F off and get the heck outa my head because it wasn’t welcome in my life any more… and I would say it aggressively … then think positive thoughts about changing your house around or anything that was positive…
I think it works…at least it’s worth a try…

Praying that you have purity of mind and a freedom from unwanted unholy thoughts. Praying that you have discernment about what comes from within and what comes from external evil.
Praying for your success in RCIA.:smiley:

Our Father Who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name; Thy kingdom come; Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name.
Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive those who trespass against us.

Amen.

If you did not agree and fully consent to the thought, it doesn’t sound like it can be a mortal sin.

Blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen

Glory be to the Father,
and to the Son,
and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning,
is now,
and ever shall be,
world without end.

Amen

Thank you all for your prayers.

I think the part of this that confuses me the most is the issue of Impressions from the Holy Spirit. If I start ignoring the Impressions I experience complete desolation and numbness, then I start to doubt the faith and all kinds of crazy stuff. I am afraid that yesterday after doing so well, I really did sin mortally and that’s why I’m so confused. I need to do an act of perfect contrition. Thank you all for your prayers.

Come, Holy Spirit, fill my heart with Your holy gifts.
Let my weakness be penetrated with Your strength this very day that I may fulfill all the duties of my state conscientiously, that I may do what is right and just.
Let my charity be such as to offend no one, and hurt no one’s feelings; so generous as to pardon sincerely any wrong done to me.
Assist me, O Holy Spirit, in all my trials of life, enlighten me in my ignorance, advise me in my doubts, strengthen me in my weakness, help me in all my needs, protect me in temptations and console me in afflictions.
Graciously hear me, O Holy Spirit, and pour Your light into my heart, my soul, and my mind. Assist me to live a holy life and to grow in goodness and grace.
Amen.

Today I’ve been going back and forth between trying to obey the Holy Spirit, then wondering if any of this is real, then being afraid I’ve driven the Holy Spirit away. I don’t know what to do, and every time I think God is with me, that all of this is Him testing me, I start to doubt all my experiences and even the Faith itself. I went to Adoration asking God for mercy. I still am holding on and I pray that he might deliver me from unbelief, and any moral or mental issues that are warping my perception of reality.

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

Amen.

Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.

Amen.

I know exactly what you mean.

Praying…

Praying that the Lord may grant you strength and guidance. Also praying for relief from these thoughts for you.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.