Blasphemy against the Holy Ghost

Dear fellow members of this forum,

That’s going to be my first post to this forum, but I think it will not be last.
Blasphemy against the Holy Ghost is the thing, that haunts me occasionally.
From age 15-17 I was active member of Lutheran church. I seeked for acceptance and mercy, but also I was very strict about the behaving in church, type of music played in religious meetings and against the modernization of church (music masses, architecture, shape and type of candelabras etc.) I felt like was trying to accomplish my faith.

So, eventually I got what I call “Religious Burn-out” and wen’t to Anti-church mode. I stopped attending to masses and meetings and started to live like “normal” teenagers. I was still praying and trying to connect Lord by myself. I constantly asked why does I have to carry this burden? Why does I have to be lonely, homosexual and anxious. After my brother was murdered I started to slowly give up. I practically gave up my faith and eventually stop praying. I resigned from Lutheran church and when asked, I told that man can survive in his own, and faith is childish and idiotic. If I would join the church, I’ts like african american is joining the KKK, I said. I always questioned my sister’s faith and mocked his church.

Lately, in January to be correct, I met a person who is catholic. He told me about his faith, not trying to convert me, but just told what catholicism is about. I begun to read catechism and prayed first time for years. That feeling after prayer was overwhelming and I sleeped better than years. I prayed for sign from the Lord, and have prayed every night since then. I have started to attend mass every sunday and to practice abstinence in every friday. I have felt better than ever, like I’m whole now.

Sometimes question rises in my mind - Can I be saved?
I’ve read, that Blasphemy against the Holy Ghost is unforgivable. But why would God call for me, if I’m unsaveable? The story of Prodigal Son gives strenght, but question still rises sometimes.

Sorry for possible misspellings and grammar erros. My native language is Finnish.

divinemercy.com/faustina/
brizek.com/prayer/pieta.htm

CCC 1864 “Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.” There are no limits to the mercy of God, but anyone who deliberately refuses to accept his mercy by repenting, rejects the forgiveness of his sins and the salvation offered by the Holy Spirit.Such hardness of heart can lead to final impenitence and eternal loss.

Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is the idea that our sins are too great for God to forgive, and thus we are unsaveable. If you believe in the power of God to save you and have mercy on you, then you are not unsaveable, you can still call upon his mercy. I encourage you to continue praying and learning more about the faith, so that you may someday more greatly receive his mercy through the healing offered in the Church. You are in my prayers.

-ACEGC

When sins against the Spirit are called “unforgivable” it’s NOT because God lacks the power or even the will to forgive them. It’s because Blasphemy against the Holy Ghost requires a rejection of God (as you once did) and thereby the forgiveness He offers.

But that’s just it, you’re no longer rejecting Him.
He’s never given up on you, that’s why you finally heard Him calling you. He’s still waiting patiently for you to stop rejecting AND start receiving His forgiveness and more.

There is no sin for which God cannot forgive you, Christ died to save us from all of our sins. Did you know even St. Peter once denied Christ three times? Jesus forgave Peter and he received that forgiveness when he ran back to Christ. Not only was he saved (he’s a saint, that means we know he’s in heaven) he also became our first Pope.

Catholics have something called Confession. In the Sacrament of Confession we confess our sins to a priest, who stands in the person of Christ, and receive that same absolution. Once the sins are absolved, you wouldn’t have to be haunted by them anymore. I want to tell you to go to Confession very badly but you would have to become Catholic to go.

I hope this helps.

If anyone thinks I’ve said anything wrong someone please correct me. I hope I’ve correctly explained everything.

Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is a conscious decision to murder your own conscience. It is knowing the Truth of God and Christ and consciously rejecting that truth.

You’re definitely NOT unsaveable. That you are even concerned about this is evidence that you have not blasphemed the Holy Spirit. Those that have blasphemed the Holy Spirit NEVER worry that they have done so.

Keep praying and keep attending mass. The Lord is calling you home. Follow His lead.

You are in our prayers. God bless you and may the Blessed Mother close her arms around you hold you close all the days of your life.

haydock1859.tripod.com/id27.htmlVer. 31. The blasphemy[2] against the Spirit, or against the Spirit and the Holy Ghost. St. Augustine takes notice, that this is one of the most difficult places in the Scriptures. According to the common exposition, here is not meant a sin committed by speaking against the third person of the blessed Trinity, the Holy Ghost, but that sin by which the obstinate Jews wilfully opposed Christ, and attributed those miracles to Beelzebub, which he performed by the Spirit of God, of which they could not be ignorant, but by a wilful blindness. (Witham) — The sin here spoken of is that blasphemy, by which the Pharisees attributed the miracles of Christ, wrought by the Spirit of God, to Beelzebub, the prince of devils. Now this kind of sin is usually accompanied with so much obstinacy, and such wilful opposing the Spirit of God, and the known truth, that men who are guilty of it are seldom or ever converted; and therefore are never forgiven, because they will not repent. Otherwise there is no sin which God cannot, or will not forgive to such as sincerely repent, and have recourse to the keys of the Church. (Challoner) — Therefore I say: this therefore is not referred to what immediately precedes, but to what is said in verse 24. (Maldonatus) — Whosoever he be, says St. Augustine, that believeth not man’s sins to be remitted in the Church of God, and therefore despiseth the bounteous mercies of God, in so mighty a work, if he continue in his obstinate mind till death, he is guilty of sin against the Holy Ghost. (Enchir. lxxxiii. ep. 50. in fine.)

]haydock1859.tripod.com/id27.htmlVer. 31. The blasphemy[2] against the Spirit, or against the Spirit and the Holy Ghost. St. Augustine takes notice, that this is one of the most difficult places in the Scriptures. According to the common exposition, here is not meant a sin committed by speaking against the third person of the blessed Trinity, the Holy Ghost, but that sin by which the obstinate Jews wilfully opposed Christ, and attributed those miracles to Beelzebub, which he performed by the Spirit of God, of which they could not be ignorant, but by a wilful blindness. (Witham) — The sin here spoken of is that blasphemy, by which the Pharisees attributed the miracles of Christ, wrought by the Spirit of God, to Beelzebub, the prince of devils. Now this kind of sin is usually accompanied with so much obstinacy, and such wilful opposing the Spirit of God, and the known truth, that men who are guilty of it are seldom or ever converted; and therefore are never forgiven, because they will not repent. Otherwise there is no sin which God cannot, or will not forgive to such as sincerely repent, and have recourse to the keys of the Church. (Challoner) — Therefore I say: this therefore is not referred to what immediately precedes, but to what is said in verse 24. (Maldonatus) — Whosoever he be, says St. Augustine, that believeth not man’s sins to be remitted in the Church of God, and therefore despiseth the bounteous mercies of God, in so mighty a work, if he continue in his obstinate mind till death, he is guilty of sin against the Holy Ghost. (Enchir. lxxxiii. ep. 50. in fine.)

A priest once told us that the “unforgiveable sin” is a projected phenomena. If a person does not forgive others, and is stubbornly closed-minded about forgiving others, then that person will project a god who does not forgive. So it is not a matter of God not forgiving, certainly not the God that nothing can separate us from, the God that holds us in the palm of His hand, the God who forever reaches with open arms to the prodigal son.

All sin is forgiveable. To really “bring it home”, to me, the questions are “Can I forgive everyone else?” and “Can I forgive myself for speaking out against faith?”. When I come to forgive myself and others, I realize that God does forgive me. It’s kind of a “you will know it when you do it” phenomenon.

It is very, very easy to condemn our past sins, and there is a time and place for that. Eventually, though, there is a time to forgive our past errors. When you rejected the faith you were speaking from a position of ignorance, if you don’t mind my saying. But what did Jesus say about such ignorance? “Forgive them, for they know not what they do…”

Thank you all for your answers. Those gave me strenght and I appreciate your prayers.
Today I had few moments when I thought the Blasphemy again, but relying on God and praying rosary made my mind clear and tooked away those doubts.

I’m on the right path, but I see, that it’s stony sometimes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.