Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit

It is stated the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven in this world or the next. A casual reading of the definition of blasphemy form the Catholic encylopedia basically says that anything derogitorily said to or about God is blasphemy.

Now if one ( Christian or not) has said or thought something like this thru lack of knowledge such as poor catecism, habit would that be forgiven if the person was repentant and now truly wishes it wasn’t said or thought?

How about a person suffering from depression or say loss of a child, loved one etc.?

Or any other circumstnce that just doesn’t come to mind right now?

In all the instances the person committing this sin is TRULY REPENTANT, will this person be forgiven?

The Church teaching:

CCC 1864 “Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.” There are no limits to the mercy of God, but anyone who deliberately refuses to accept his mercy by repenting, rejects the forgiveness of his sins and the salvation offered by the Holy Spirit. Such hardness of heart can lead to final impenitence and eternal loss.

I am not trying to be argumentative but only to seek clarification, then I understand that it is our choice to be forgiven ? If we choose forgivness God will forgive us ? Of course it’s His final descision.?

It is our choice to seek forgiveness. If we acknowledge what we have done is offensive to God, turn to Him with a repentant heart and ask for forgiveness, mercy will pour over us. If our hearts remain hard and we refuse to acknowledge that what we have done is offensive to God, then we cannot receive God’s mercy.

To blaspheme against the Holy Spirit is to reject God. You cannot both reject God and have His forgiveness and mercy. We are nothing without God. I think that is what Jesus is trying to teach us.

**Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is final impenitence - from which you cannot be saved. If you reject God to the end - this is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. **

This view is held not only by the Catholic Church but by every reputable Protestant theologian as well.

It has been pointed out to you that blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is committed by" anyone who deliberately refuses to accept his mercy by repenting, rejects the forgiveness of his sins and the salvation offered by the Holy Spirit."

The Protestants I know believe blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is simply “unbelief”. That is why they will say that non-Christians cannot be saved because they do not believe and therefore they have blasphemed the Holy Spirit.
Billy Graham used to preach that. I don’t know if he was the first to preach that error.

The unforgivable sin against the Holy Spirit is a total rejection of God’s mercy and a refusal to repent one’s sins, thereby a rejection of the Holy Spirit.

It is when evil becomes good and good becomes evil, or when evil is justified to so that it becomes good or justified.

OK Thanks its is clear now.

Just an aside, and slightly off topic, but “blasphemy against the Holy Spirit” is the Mother Lode for people who suffer from scrupulosity/OCD–the fear of having committed this sin is SO prevalent among the scrupulous that it could almost be viewed as one of the signal symptoms of the disorder…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.