Blasphemy of the Holy Ghost

I blasphemed the Holy Ghost a few months ago, and well did i commit an unforgivable act as jesus said? I am sort of concerned. Some sites say it cant happen but what is the catholic stance on it?

The Catholic Church believes that any sin can be confessed and forgiven.

The term, “blasphemy of the Holy Spirit,” is usually interpreted to mean complete despair (believing that not even God can help us, which means we reject the idea that God is all-loving and all-powerful). Given sufficient context, this could be mortally sinful, but we can repent and confess, just like every other sin.

The problem with despair, however, is that can lead to a state where we do not realize our need to repent (what’s the point, if not even God can help you?)

You will never know if you committed a sin at all unless and until you confess this to a priest. Stay off the web and stick with your Church!

The unforgiveable sin is when we believe that God cannot forgive us. He certainly can forgive us when we sincerely ask Him for it.

Jimmy Akin talks about that at the 19:00 mark on Catholic Answers Live radio show. Click listen and listen in. it’s great.

catholic.com/radio/shows/open-forum-8368#

Basically the unforgivable sin is the eternal refusal to repent, to willingly stay in a state of mortal sin, to refuse to accept the gifts of the Holy Spirit that would lead that person to repentance.

CCC has a section dealing with this. scborromeo.org/ccc/para/1864.htm
Pope John Paul II wrote an encyclical about this called Dominum et Vivificantem and here’s a link to the english version on the vatican website. vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/encyclicals/documents/hf_jp-ii_enc_18051986_dominum-et-vivificantem_en.html

Are you sure? I thought that was called scrupulosity? I’m confused now.

From the catechism 1864:

1864 “Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.” There are no limits to the mercy of God, but anyone who deliberately refuses to accept his mercy by repenting, rejects the forgiveness of his sins and the salvation offered by the Holy Spirit. Such hardness of heart can lead to final impenitence and eternal loss.

Scrupulosity is when you think certain things are sins when they are not.

However, I think my answer was too general, and the links you posted sound like good ones to look into.

If you truly blasphemed against the Holy Spirit, this NEEDS to be confessed.

The six sins against the Holy Spirit are:
Presumption
Despair
Resisting the known truth
Envy of another’s spiritual good
Obstinacy in sin
Final impenitence

You need to go to your nearest Catholic Rectory and see a priest. You cannot get either good answers or psychological relief on any internet site for your problem.
You may get an answer that you agree with, but you are just kidding yourself at the peril of your immortal soul!
There are many well meaning people on this site that will answer you out of charity; but, that doesn’t negate the fact that you need to discuss this matter face-to-face with a priest.

Seems your advice is worth getting online?

Perhaps some people have trouble bringing themselves to go see a priest and by coming on here and getting the advice of others will help them to go get done what needs to get done.

How do you give advice “go to your nearest Rectory” and then** immediately** after that say *“you cannot get either good answers or psychological relief on any internet site for your problem.” * LOL

Doesn’t that then negate the advice you just gave him? If catholic answers forum is a terrible place to get advice, why are you on here and giving your advice to others? A fair question I would think, but probably rhetorical.

Can you show me where presumption is a sin against the Holy Spirit? For that matter, can you prove any of the above items stated are sins against the Holy Spirit? Thanks.

In Catholic theology, they are. Scripture does not clarify exactly what “blasphemy against the Holy Spirit” is, so it has been left to the Church to declare. I got that specific list from a (non-schismatic, completely obedient to the Church of today) traditional Catholic site here:
fisheaters.com/lists.html

In the “6 Sins Against the Holy Spirit” section.

here’s also a place to read.
newadvent.org/cathen/07409a.htm

scroll down to where it says in bold “SINS AGAINST THE HOLY GHOST”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.