Blasphemy

Ok, I've read various definitions of blasphemy.

My question is, if a person were to say the Ordinary Form of the Mass is a "non-Catholic and evil Mass", would that be considered blasphemy ?

My guess is it would certainly be blasphemy. Is it ?

No, that would not be considered blasphemy, though certainly theologically incorrect. Blasphemy would be if they were to say something like that about God or equate themselves or someone/something else with God. That is what Jesus got in trouble for--it was considered blasphemy for him to say he was equal to God the Father.

[quote="Saints_Alive, post:1, topic:315354"]

My question is, if a person were to say the Ordinary Form of the Mass is a "non-Catholic and evil Mass", would that be considered blasphemy ?

[/quote]

You can say it is blasphemous when someone is saying that simply because one cannot attribute a mass an evil mass.

[/quote]

The Catechism states that the prohibition of blasphemy extends to language against Christ's Church, the saints, and sacred things. So yes, such language appears to be blasphemous.

If coming from a Catholic, I'd also say it reflects heresy (an obstinate post-baptismal denial of some truth which must be believed with divine and catholic faith). The validity of the Ordinary Form of the Roman Rite is certainly one of those, correct me if I am wrong.

[quote="R_C, post:4, topic:315354"]
The Catechism states that the prohibition of blasphemy extends to language against Christ's Church, the saints, and sacred things. So yes, such language appears to be blasphemous.

If coming from a Catholic, I'd also say it reflects heresy (an obstinate post-baptismal denial of some truth which must be believed with divine and catholic faith). The validity of the Ordinary Form of the Roman Rite is certainly one of those, correct me if I am wrong.

[/quote]

:amen:

[/quote]

Modern Catholic Dictionary:

BLASPHEMY. Speaking against God in a contemptuous, scornful, or abusive manner. Included under blasphemy are offenses committed by thought, word, or action. Serious contemptuous ridicule of the saints, sacred objects, or of persons consecrated to God is also blasphemous because God is indirectly attacked. Blasphemy is a grave violation of charity toward God. Its gravity may be judged by the capital punishment in the Old Testament, severe penalties of the Church, and in many cases also of the State for blasphemous speech or conduct. In order for a person to sin gravely in this manner, he must use blasphemous expressions and realize the contemptuous meaning of what he says or does. (Etym. Latin blasphemia, blasphemy; from Greek blasphēmein, to speak ill of.)

CCC:

CCC 2148 Blasphemy is directly opposed to the second commandment. It consists in uttering against God - inwardly or outwardly - words of hatred, reproach, or defiance; in speaking ill of God; in failing in respect toward him in one's speech; in misusing God's name. St. James condemns those "who blaspheme that honorable name [of Jesus] by which you are called." The prohibition of blasphemy extends to language against Christ's Church, the saints, and sacred things. It is also blasphemous to make use of God's name to cover up criminal practices, to reduce peoples to servitude, to torture persons or put them to death. The misuse of God's name to commit a crime can provoke others to repudiate religion.
Blasphemy is contrary to the respect due God and his holy name. It is in itself a grave sin.

Thanks for the replies.

Seems calling the OF evil is indeed blasphemy.

Rand Al'Thor says "Blasphemy would be if they were to say something like that about God" refereing it seems to calling Mass "evil." So, would having and expressing incorrect views on God's nature/character count as blasphemy? Job, for example, accuses God of "mocking" the innocent (Job 9:23). Some would say God does no such thing--so, if they're correct, would Job be blaspheming?

It certainly is blasphemous to call a valid, licit Mass where Christ is present "evil."

It is definitely a case of blasphemy.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.