Blending Psychology (Jungian etc.) and Spirituality

In our weekly Church bulletins the Director of Spiritual Formation has been encouraging parishioners to join a new group that will explore night dreams as a means to be more open to God and to yourself. When I inquired about this seemingly unorthodox program, the director told me that they are based on Carl Jung’s teachings and are a “blending of psychology and spirituality.” The director also provided me with suggested reading material by the following authors: John Sanford, Wallace Clift, Louis Savary, Jeremy Taylor, and Patricia Garfield. Does this “Dream Group” sound like a valuable and authentically Catholic approach to strengthening one’s relationship with God? Should I respectfully and politely bring my concerns to my priest?
Your advice would be greatly appreciated. May God bless you.

This is a serious matter and should be immediately brought to the attention of your pastor. Jungian psychology is spiritual poison. The recent Church document *Jesus Christ The Bearer of the Water of Life- A Christian reflection on the “New Age” * explains how Jungian psychology is completely irreconcilable with Catholic teaching. To read the document in its entirety click here.

Recommended reading:

Jung Replaces Jesus in Catholic Spirituality
By Paul Likoudis
Click here.

Jungian Psychology as Catholic Theology
What is Carl Gustav Jung doing in the Church?
Click here.

Dreams
By Father Augustine
Click here.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.