Blessed are those who mourn

Blessed are those that mourn for they shall be comforted.

Are we expected to mourn for the dead ? What exactly does mourning mean ? Or rather how does one mourn ? What does it mean in reference to the beatitude ?

I believe one of the meanings may be that I should be mourning for those who do not know the Truth, and praying for the grace to help them find it.

Have you never lost someone near and dear to you?
I don’t know that this can be explained unless you’ve experienced it.
When you mourn - you will know it…

Peace
James

Absolutely. Some things need to be experienced, not explained. :sad_yes:

Psalm 42:4 My tears have been my bread day and night…

Peace

Mourning is not something “expected”. Mourning is something that happens.
The Beatitudes are not things that we are to put on (so to speak) rather they relate to things that already exist.
To mourn is to be sorrowful…today it usually relates to how we feel at the passing of a loved one. Sad - sorrowful - even to the extent that the words of others are of little comfort to us.
Yet in Christ, and the promises of the Kingdom, there is comfort for those saddened by the passing of loved ones.
God’s mercy is great, so we pray for the repose of these souls.

Hope this helps a bit.

Peace
James

We mourn because we have loved, and love can only come from God.

Love is what we are all called to.

Mourning is an old word for “grieving”.

While the first word is normally associated with social customs surrounding familial death (most of which are far younger than Biblical times), such as wearing black, grieving is IMNAAHO a better word, because everybody has grieved, and grief is not a priori connected to human death.

We grieve when life dreams and aspirations come to nothing.

We grieve when a friend or loved one leaves our life.

We grieve when our youth has run out; when our somas begin to fail us.

We grieve at our own moral failings.

And of course we grieve when we lose someone to the hideous shamefulness that is death.

Grieving is a constant reminder of the brokenness that is human life.

But only by remembering that we are broken can our LORD be our consolation.

In that sense, those who grieve are blessed.

ICXC NIKA

Thank you GEddie for this.

Thankyou everyone, I have a clearer picture now.

The culture I grew up in, if you lost a family member it was expected of you to wear black, no music, no celebrations or partying. It was like an unspoken rule that most followed or should I say was forced into following. Tongues would wag if you did otherwise.
I would understand if you don’t feel like partying etc because you’re grieving. I was discussing this with a friend and was trying to explain that you cannot force someone to mourn. What you’re asking them to do, is put on an external show of their grief. Grief is something internal, that is felt or experienced as some have explained.

James and GEddie you explained it well .

Thank you both :):slight_smile:

ICXC NIKA

AH----Now I understand better…

Yes it can be tricky when one is dealing with “social custom”.

Grieving is indeed a funny kind of thing…I lost my wife almost 4 months ago, and in some ways I feel that I have not properly mourned her passing…Yet in my case, she was ill (dementia) for many years and I did some grieving even before she passed. When she did pass it was (in some ways) a relief. Yet I know that I have grieving yet to do - as I discovered recently at another funeral recently…

All that said, I know what my lady thought - and what she would want for me. She would want me to get on with life. Not to forget her, or to be sad…but not to bury myself with her. We need to live, to rejoice in our memories, to have faith in God’s promise of salvation.
Our life together was full of joy and laughter - this needs to be the legacy.

So - yes - I think that in my case - the folks who might wag their tongues over my behavior will just have to wag away…they are not important. Those who knew my wife and I understand…and they are a important. :thumbsup:

Peace
James

Thanks a lot for this. :thumbsup:

I can understand this. We watched my MIL suffer for years with cancer and in agony despite heavy doses of painkillers. We knew she was going to die and it seems that most of us in the family did our grieving for her before she died. It actually was a relief when she died. Yes, we grieved at her funeral and afterward, but it seems to me that we had done the major work of grief beforehand it did not last as long nor was it as intense as when someone unexpectedly dies. Most of my family concurs with this. But unless one has been there, it is hard to understand how it could be.

This is beautiful James! :thumbsup: And so true!

I have personal experience with care-giving for a demented loved one, and do so professionally in my job in a skilled nursing facility. Dementia, in all of it’s forms, is a horrible condition, not just for the one affllicted, but also the family, who sees their loved one “die” a little bit each day as time goes by. Prayers for you, and for all you deal with this ugly disease.

Thanks to all who have commented on my post. I did not mean to steal the thread.

That said - and perhaps a bit more “on topic”…Care giving for a loved one can be very rewarding and spiritually fruitful. I know it was for me. Our Lord was with us the whole way and taught us both many lessons. So in this sense I was “comforted” all through our mourning - Just as Jesus promised.

Peace
James

I am so sorry for your loss. It must be very hard. Sometimes it takes a while before we start to grieve. I remember when my Grandma passed away, it was only after the relatives left our place (they stayed with us a while to comfort us) , it was then, that the reality of the loss was felt.

And yes GEddie… thankyou both :slight_smile:

I can guarantee mourning for sins committed is also intended.

Benedicat Deus,
Latinitas

Amen

Indeed. While no doubt this beatitude 'Blessed are those who mourn ’ include those who suffer from loss of loved ones, ( Jn 11:35 *" Jesus Wept" * )

Death came into the world because of sin.

I believe that those who mourn are those souls on Earth who are close to God, and suffering with him, the way he lamented and saw his own people who chose to reject God, the Jews and he wept over that. Today it is no different. In the post-Christian world we see many people who profess to be Catholic, to seculars who know the gospel and now choose to neglect him.

Are we expected to mourn for the dead ? What exactly does mourning mean ? Or rather how does one mourn ? What does it mean in reference to the beatitude ?

I think this applies universally for Christians seeking Christ, and when they enter into the mystery of Christ, they encounter mourning as they witness life through sanctified eyes.

Christ is a sign of contradiction: with Christ, we know where Joy is always – yet we know the cross held by the **Man of Sorrows. ** is always before us.
We know that the the wages of sin bring death. We know that merely seeing bodily life is not the same as those who have been brought to life by Sanctifying Grace.

So we needn’t look around for funerals, in the culture of death, we see defiance of God and the promoting of mortal sins to children, broken families, broken marriages…

How can a Christian not mourn over the scandal that threatens to kill the souls of young and old every day, from the cultural indifference the world has developed in respect to the value of Life?

I think * ‘Blessed are those who mourn’* is connected with the mystery of Christ’s agony at Gethsemane.

St Francis, though joyful, demonstrates this mourning:

It is Francis of Assisi who introduced the practice of meditating on the Passion of Christ as a means for breaking through to God’s unconditional love. But for Francis, this was not simply a religious exercise. His compassion for the suffering of Jesus was so intense that **he spent hours weeping bitterly. **Some of his companions reported that, long before he went blind, Francis sometimes cried so hard he shed tears of blood.

One day, while Francis was kneeling in the woods, sobbing over the suffering of the crucified Christ, he encountered a man out walking. When the man asked the friar why he was crying, Francis countered by asking how anyone could hold back tears in the face of such a sacrifice"

p 26; Saint Francis of Assisi : Devotions, Prayers, & Living Wisdom
edited by Mirabai Starr

There are many repetitions of Christ’s sufferings that go on in every generation.

• 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.*

Those Christians who mourn over the wages of sin in all forms, are blessed to be moved to action toward alleviating those sufferings of the least of these through prayer and work.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.