aka Perserverance of the Saints.]

So, I backed off of Blessed Assurance, because I

sure couldn’t hold to OSAS.

So I ask: Is there a denomination that holds to Blessed

Assurance, without meaning OSAS?

*invariably *means OSAS.]

Thanks for any insight into this,

reen12

It depends on what you mean by “Blessed Assurance”. As you have correctly noted, for many Protestants “Blessed Assurance” is nothing but a synonym for OSAS. But Catholics and other Protestants can be said to believe in “Blessed Assurance” if that term is properly defined in a way that excludes the OSAS heresy.

For practicing Catholics with the supernatural gift of hope, “Blessed Assurance” would be the absolute confidence that God will be always be faithful to his part of the New Covenant that he has made with us. But Catholics also know that we do not have any absolute assurance that we will be faithful to our end of the covenant. Grace does not destroy our free will, and it is always possible to die in the condition of an unrepentant backslider who has fallen from a state of grace.

Catholics believe in a form of blessed assurance. In the Catholic faith we know for a fact, beyond a shadow of a doubt; we are blessedly assured, that if any person is objectively in the state of grace that that person WILL go to heaven. They may have to
make a stop in purgatory. Now that person could fall out of the state of grace. Then that person will go to hell. But they could repent and be brought back to grace through the sacrament of confession. But we KNOW for sure that any person who dies in the state of grace witll go to heaven.

I think I’m going to ask the question on the

NonCatholic forum.

Thanks for your replies,

reen12

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.