Blessed Assurance?

Can someone please explain to me what that means? This is coming out of the mouth of an ex catholic. Is this a protestant term that I’ve never heard about? It’s got to do with the assurance that you’re saved, but this is a new term for me.

[quote=Loboto-Me]Can someone please explain to me what that means? This is coming out of the mouth of an ex catholic. Is this a protestant term that I’ve never heard about? It’s got to do with the assurance that you’re saved, but this is a new term for me.
[/quote]

Hi LM! :slight_smile:
Here’s a great article that should pretty well clear it all up for you and help you understand Assurance of Salvation. What you’ve got is probably someone who believes in what’s called “eternal security” and is also known as OSAS (Acronym for “Once Saved, Always Saved”) both ideas are basically the same thing and neither are supported by the New Testament, though its proponents are great at pulling passages out of context as proof texts. I believed it myself for a while while I was out of the church, but it just can’t stand up to an objective reading of the NT.

I would also read Are Catholics Born Again and maybe that whole Salvation section.

Lemme know if I can help in any other way.
Pax tecum,

It may simply be a reference to the sentiments expressed in Fanny Crosby’s 1873 hymn, Blessed Assurance.

cyberhymnal.org/htm/b/l/blesseda.htm

Todd,

They did link to the song! I was under the impression that there was more to it than just a song. Actually I was hoping that there was more to it than a hymn with pretty pretty words.

Church Militant, thank you for the links. As much as it’s stressful at times to understand people who don’t have the same theology as you do, it sure does help me grow and learn my faith more fully.

[quote=Loboto-Me]Can someone please explain to me what that means? This is coming out of the mouth of an ex catholic. Is this a protestant term that I’ve never heard about? It’s got to do with the assurance that you’re saved, but this is a new term for me.
[/quote]

The idea of once saved always saved is a very new creation in Christian history and is from some Fundamentalists/Evangelicals; many Protestants i.e. Anglicans, some Lutherans, Assembly of God and Pentacostals and others don’t subscribe to that doctrine. Assurance of salvation is a fallacy since it presuposses that everyone who is in Christ can’t commit mortal sin (1John 5) and squash sancitifying grace within themselves. And it suposses in an absolute sense that they will absolutely, possitively without a doubt be saved, which is the sin of presumption.

Scripture also denies this in 1 Cor 9:27,Mt 7:21,24:13,10:22,Rom 11:22,Phil 2:12,Gal 5:4,2 Tim 2:11-13, Heb 6:4-6, 10:26-27

As Catholics we can have moral assurance that we are saved (that we don’t have mortal sin on our soul, therefore have sanctifying grace within us) but we can’t say in the absolute sense that we will be saved, since we can all with our free will commit grave sin, thus denying Christs sacrificial love for us.

1 John gives us a good litmus test as to whether or not we are of the elect…

1Jo 1:6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:

1Jo 2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.

1Jo 2:9 He that saith he is in the light, and hateth his brother, is in darkness even until now.

1Jo 2:19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, **they would no doubt have continued **with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.
1Jo 2:20 But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and you all know.
21 I have not written unto you because ye know not the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth.

Sounds like reassurance that they KNOW.

1Jo 2:29 If you know that He is righteous, you know that everyone also who practices righteousness is born of Him.

1Jo 3:6 No one who abides in Him sins; no one who sins has seen Him or knows Him.

1Jo 3:9 No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

1Jo 3:10 By this the children of God and the children of the devil are obvious: anyone who does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor the one who does not love his brother.

1Jo 3:14 We know that we have passed out of death into life, because we love the brethren. He who does not love abides in death.

Cross-ref with James 2…
1Jo 3:17 But whoever has the world’s goods, and sees his brother in need and closes his heart against him, how does the love of God abide in him?
18 Little children, let us not love with word or with tongue, but in deed and truth.
19 We will know by this that we are of the truth, and will assure our heart before Him…REF 1John 5:13

1Jo 4:4 You are from God, little children, and have overcome them; because greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world.
5 They are from the world; therefore they speak as from the world, and the world listens to them.
6 We are from God; he who knows God listens to us; he who is not from God does not listen to us. By this we know the spirit of truth and the spirit of error.

1Jo 3:7 Little children, make sure no one deceives you; the one who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous;

1Jo 5:1 Whoever believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and whoever loves the Father loves the child born of Him.

1Jo 5:4 For whatever is born of God overcomes the world; and this is the victory that has overcome the world–our faith.

**1Jo 5:13 *These things ***I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life.

1Jo 5:18 We know that no one who is born of God sins; but He who was born of God keeps him, and the evil one does not touch him.
19 We know that we are of God, and that the whole world lies in the power of the evil one.

2Jo 1:2 for the sake of the truth which abides in us and will be with us forever:

2Jo 1:9 Anyone who goes too far and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God; the one who abides in the teaching, he has both the Father and the Son.

Others:

Galatians 5:24 And they that are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

Romans 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

And we are told…

2Pe 1:10 Therefore, brethren, be all the more diligent to make certain about His calling and choosing you; for as long as you practice these things, you will never stumble;

The elect will persevere and never fall utterly into unbelief. Once saved always saved - those who fall away lose what they THINK THEY HAVE (Luke 18:8)…what they perceive to have only through mere intellectual knowledge - sitting in a church pew indifferent to the message of the gospel:

1Jo 3:6 No one who abides in Him sins; no one who sins has seen Him or knows Him. - The salvation that never was…

I love that hymn and consider it very Catholic!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.