"Blessed Be Suffering"

Dear brothers and sisters,

There is great mystery in suffering, and many of us “waste suffering” as the late Archbishop Sheen once said. HERE is a beautiful example of someone who learned how to love and “bless” suffering!

Padre Pio, gives us insight and balance on the matter of suffering.

God gifted him to an extraordinary degree for sake of souls, in a century when sin and aberration are serious and prevalent.

In union with Christ, he suffered continually for souls and was known to say—
“If you knew the value of suffering, you would never give it up.”

Nevertheless, he prayed for healing for others, and advised anyone in their difficulties to seek divine assistance. “It is not a loss of patience if one asks Jesus to take away pain, when this becomes insupportable to us and beyond our strength, nor does one lose the merit of the suffering which is offered, by asking this of God.”

“Pray that God will console you when you feel the burden of the Cross, for in doing so you are not acting against the will of God, but you are placing yourself beside the Son of God who asked His Father during the Agony in the Garden to send Him some relief. But if He is not willing to give it, be ready to pronounce the same ‘fiat’ that Jesus did.” “When least you are expecting to be liberated, Jesus, who cannot bear to keep you long in affliction, will come and relieve and comfort you, giving you new courage.”

“He is the Father of all; He is so in a very special manner for the unhappy.”

“The Cross will not crush you; if its weight makes you stagger, its power will also sustain you.”

“What does it matter whether Jesus wishes to guide you to heaven by the way of the desert or by the fields, so long as you get there by one way or the other? Put away excessive worrying which results from trials by which the good Lord has desired to test you; and if this is not possible resign yourself to the divine will.”

“Each soul…is a stone destined to build up the eternal edifice…it has to be polished with the blows of hammer and chisel…these hits of the chisel are the shadows, the fears, the temptations, the afflictions of the spirit, the spiritual tremors with some aroma of desolation, and also physical illness.”

“If I know that a person is afflicted in mind and body, what would I not do to see him freed from his ills, I would willingly take on all his afflictions in order to see him freed, giving up in his favour… the fruits of such suffering if the Lord would permit me.” [Letters 1, no. 184]

Dear Trishie,

Thanks so much for your reply. Ah – the wisdom of the saints!

Jesus, I trust in you.
St. Padre Pio, pray for us.
St. Josemaria Escriva, pray for us.
Our Lady of Wisdom and Good St. Joseph, her husband, pray for us.

The journey without suffering is not a journey at all. I am forever drawn into the Sacred mystery of suffering. What really fascinates me is that we should embrace rather than flee from the difficulties that we encounter in life. Not that we should deliberately bring suffering upon ourselves as all of us have plenty of our own fair share of suffering. But whatever is deemed for our lives – to accept it as Jesus accepted His own Cross.

Dear Neden,

Thanks for your reply. I visited the site linked in your signature, and was blessed especially by this quote there:

The Catechism of the Catholic Church states:

…”faith is often lived in darkness and can be put to the test. The world we live in often seems very far from the one promised us by faith. Our experiences of evil and suffering, injustice and death, seem to contradict the Good News; they can shake our faith and become a temptation against it…It is then we must turn to the witnesses of faith: to Abraham, who “in hope… believed against hope”;to the Virgin Mary, who, in “her pilgrimage of faith”, walked into the “night of faith” in sharing the darkness of her son’s suffering and death; and to so many others…” (164-165).

I underlined the words which particularly touched me. How often I have recourse to Mary! With St. Louis de Montfort I believe that without Mary, I would be lost. She is our Mother and Model – on Calvary, and in all her humble days and nights and trials, she said, “Yes”.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.