Blessed by a Buddhist Monk Today

I took a friend who is a Buddhist to a Buddhist temple today.

When i was there i had a blessing by the monk. While he was chanting i was saying my Catholic prayers in my head! It was a lovely experience. He even tied a blessed piece of string around my wrist and splashed me with ‘his’ Holy water!

I asked my local priest if it would be ok to have this blessing and he said yes. No harm in it he said. When my Buddhist friend comes to my church they always go up for a blessing from the priest and they highly respect the Catholic church.

I am not wanting to become a Buddhist. Just stating that i am glad i went now as it was enjoyable and interesting to see what happens at a blessing. The monk was from Thailand and he was a very lovely guy.

True Buddhists, in my experience, are the kindest and loveliest people ever. You didn’t ask for it, and it was a welcoming gesture on his part.

Glad to hear it’s so interesting!

I know some people who are offended by receiving blessings from other religious people… One person I know, who is a Hellenic Polytheist, gets quite angry whenever someone happens to say “Bless You” to her. Even if it was because she sneezed. She explained that blessings from other religions angers the gods that she worships, and said something along the lines of “Unsolicited blessings are dangerous.” :shrug: :blush:

It sounds like you had a nice experience :slight_smile: I always enjoy learning about these things.

What a wonderful experience! Thanks for sharing this moment with us.

Mary.

I love stuff like this, thanks =). Maybe I’ll share this story with my best friend, a Buddhist, someday.

I think Budhism is cool. It is not a religion per se in the sense in which that word is commonly used, for it is not a system of faith/worship owing any allegiance to God, but rather viewing things through a philosophical lens which espouses things like love, generosity and leading a moral life.

Ive not experienced this although being born in a predominately Buddhist country because I don’t go into Buddhist temples :stuck_out_tongue: But I think it was a nice gesture by the Monk. :slight_smile:

I would have likely said a prayer for the Monk too and ask God to bless him. :smiley:

MJ

Sounds like a great experience, in my opinion Buddhism can strengthen our Catholic faith.

Can I ask a silly question? What does it mean to be ‘blessed’ by a Buddhist monk? In the context of their spirituality, what does such a blessing ‘mean’ or even signify?

It was a lovely experience. He even tied a blessed piece of string around my wrist and splashed me with ‘his’ Holy water!

Umm… and, along the same lines, what’s a “blessed piece of string” mean, in a Buddhist context? What does “holy water” mean, to a Buddhist?

He blessed me for a healthy and good life i think. The string and water are the same i believe. I will ask my Buddhist friend to confirm.

Sounds good, humble people.

Sorry – let me rephrase: in the Catholic tradition, a ‘blessing’ is a prayer asking God to bless a person (or an object) so that the person receives particular graces from God. In the Buddhist tradition, who is being called upon? Or is it simply that one person is wishing another well?

In the Catholic tradition, “holy water” is water that is blessed in order that through its use, God might protect those sprinkled by it from evil forces. In the Buddhist tradition, whose power is invoked through “holy water”? What purpose does the “holy water” serve? What is one being protected against, through its use?

Does that help clarify my questions?

Blessings,
G.

Blessing from the Monk is personal and is usually done to wish you luck, happiness and good health etc. Plus the ‘blessing’ is usually done when gifts are given to the temple as we did on our visit.

Sorry, its called ‘Blessed Water’ not Holy Water. Used to bring luck, safety and success.

The tieing on the wrist of the string helps with safety and good health/wealth and protection from evil spirits apparently.

Nice thread. Speaking only for myself, I’ll take all the blessings I can get.

Yea, it was a lovely experience. I was very apprehensive before i went but so glad i experienced it now.

I am so gratified to read of your experience. Buddhism is a wonderful belief system and its true adherents are some of the most humble, gentle, kind people I have ever encountered. We can all learn something from them.

OK – so, a Buddhist ‘blessing’ is really just one person’s way of saying “I hope you have good luck and happiness”?

Plus the ‘blessing’ is usually done when gifts are given to the temple as we did on our visit.

Umm… I’m confused now. It’s not so much a blessing as it is a quid pro quo? :confused:

Sorry, its called ‘Blessed Water’ not Holy Water. Used to bring luck, safety and success.

Again, what’s the source of the ‘blessedness’? Do Buddhists believe that material objects can “bring luck, safety, and success”?

Are Catholics permitted to participate in the rituals of other religions? At what point do Buddhist blessings against evil spirits and for good luck become superstition (as condemned by the Church).

For me it was a matter of being there giving gifts to the Monk and receiving his blessing. Nothing more.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.