Blessed Communion in Christ

Perhaps this is not the right forum to post on, but since Apologetics generally gets the most viewing i will put it here. (Feel free to move it moderators).

Hmm…where to start! After taking communion today i felt completely re-invigorated by Christ! I was quite down about several issues in my life, and was becoming a wee bit faithless.

My own weaknesses are pathetic, i may possibly be the only Christian on earth who lacks faith in between communions! :o

Anyway, after Mass at coffee hour i asked the Rector if we are in Communion with Rome. The answer was “No, but we have very good relations with Rome and our Primate is in constant discussions with Rome and Communion with Rome will happen eventually”.

He said the issue was NOT infallibility of the Pope, but rather the jurisdiction of the Pope…?? I did not pry further, so maybe someone could answer what he means for me. He did mention that Church lawyers from both sides had to hack out a bunch of things.

He also recommended that if im away from home (which i will be in February) that I do not seek communion with the false ‘Anglican Church’. As an ordained Priest, he IS allowed to take communion at Roman Catholic parishes.

Anyway, i just felt good today and I pray for the hastening of this ‘Communion with Rome’…as you are my Brothers and Sisters in Christ!

Oh…and a shout out to all good Protestants out there.

I have provided a link to the Anglican Catholic Church of Canada, to some it is known as ‘Continuing Anglican’.

Cheers!

zeuter.com/~accc/

James, if you have no problem with the Pope being at the helm, why not join us in the boat. Why wait? :slight_smile:

Good question,

I would have to do alot of investigation i think. Thats one of the first reasons i joined up on this site, so ya never know…

But as it stands of NOW, im quite comfortable in the traditions of my Church. Oh well, I learn more everyday about the RCC thanks to this site.

Cheers.

This is the first time I have ever heard an Anglican use the word “Primate” to refer to his bishop. My initial impression was that you were Orthodox and I checked your profile to confirm. The only thing that I can think of regarding the jurisdiction issue is that Anglican’s accept their King (Queen?) as head of the church instead of the Pope.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but haven’t we tried to get Anglicans to recognize the Pope for years now. Make the jump yourself now don’t wait on your church leaders. It takes years to break through all the bureacuracy heck Rome has a lot of Red Tape where do you think the terms came from it was the Roman Popes Seals had Red Tape!
After Luther died Melankton supposedly convinced many lutherans that they would reunite with Rome because he would be in charge and he was a diplomat not like the hothead Luther and he would be able to patch things up. 500 years later Lutherans are still waiting! These things take too long for us with limited life expectancies.

[quote=JamesS]Good question,

I would have to do alot of investigation i think. Thats one of the first reasons i joined up on this site, so ya never know…

But as it stands of NOW, im quite comfortable in the traditions of my Church. Oh well, I learn more everyday about the RCC thanks to this site.

Cheers.
[/quote]

JamesS, have you read the article “Roman Fever” by David Mills? As a Traditional Anglican, he was interested in the subject of communion with Rome as well (before his conversion, that is :D). Anyway, it sounds like you might be interested in his point of view on the whole matter:

catholic.com/thisrock/2002/0201dr.asp

Well that is a very good article indeed, thankyou for linking it :slight_smile:

I think I will list my concerns about possible conversion to the RCC here, and hopefully someone can help or explain.

1. It seems to me by looking at US election polls that Roman Catholic voters (stateside) are still highly divided on critical issues. On issues such as abortion, im guessing up here in Canada, things are just as equally divided on such issues as they are down south.

The Bishops and Priests of my Church are unified on such subjects (ie. against abortion), so why would i want to join a house divided against itself? Also, I keep hearing on these forums about RCC Bishops and Priests stressing how the devil is not something to worry about…? The Churches greatest opponent is not something to worry about?

1. I will admit i have problems about the intercession of Mother Mary in my prayers. No, i do not think its culty or a sin, but I do think its a tradition, and just that, a traditon. Simply a tradition I don’t know if i could get used to.

2. Only within the last decade really has the TAC come into its own, after many Priests put up with SO much abuse in Anglican parishes they left for the TAC. Some of the older ones had many health problems in their fight to keep the faith. Christianity is indeed a fighting faith, and i would feel im abandoning many men who have been very good to me.

Anyway, im tired, i suppose i could think of more, but those stick out for the moment.

In the meantime,

God Bless.

nd

[quote=JamesS]Well that is a very good article indeed, thankyou for linking it :slight_smile:

I think I will list my concerns about possible conversion to the RCC here, and hopefully someone can help or explain.

1. It seems to me by looking at US election polls that Roman Catholic voters (stateside) are still highly divided on critical issues. On issues such as abortion, im guessing up here in Canada, things are just as equally divided on such issues as they are down south.

The Bishops and Priests of my Church are unified on such subjects (ie. against abortion), so why would i want to join a house divided against itself? Also, I keep hearing on these forums about RCC Bishops and Priests stressing how the devil is not something to worry about…? The Churches greatest opponent is not something to worry about?

1. I will admit i have problems about the intercession of Mother Mary in my prayers. No, i do not think its culty or a sin, but I do think its a tradition, and just that, a traditon. Simply a tradition I don’t know if i could get used to.

2. Only within the last decade really has the TAC come into its own, after many Priests put up with SO much abuse in Anglican parishes they left for the TAC. Some of the older ones had many health problems in their fight to keep the faith. Christianity is indeed a fighting faith, and i would feel im abandoning many men who have been very good to me.

Anyway, im tired, i suppose i could think of more, but those stick out for the moment.

In the meantime,

God Bless.
[/quote]

Well I didn’t join the church because of the U.S. Bishops and I probably wouldn’t ever do it becasue of them. They are one of the weakest links in the whole church. The Pope is our Rock and Ratzinger does a good job of presenting what the church teaches the U.S. Bishops just doesn’t carry out his teachings. We can only pray for them to carry out their responsibilites better.
Praying to Mary is not a requirement just the acknowledgement that it pious act done by many catholics and one shouldn’t diss those who choose Mary as their intercessor. In the early years of the church Mary was not the intercessor of choice the early u martyrs of the church were the saints most prayed to because as you can imagine many were soon to become martyr’s and wanted to pray to another saint who wen through the same thing they did. The catacombs are full of St Peter, St. Peter, St Ignatius pray for me etc etc. But the idea of praying to saints obviously carries over any saint including Mary and when martyrdom went away and the dogma of Mary as Mother of God intercession to her took off. But each practice is entirely apostolic in tradtion and entirely catholic. Mary kind of grows on you trust me when I converted whe wasn’t high on my list but now she is.
You primarcy allegiance should be to Jesus Christ and the truth that can only be found in his true body and his true church. Christ said we should leave all for him inclduing family and friends.
As much as I loved pastors of my evangelical past I had to leave for Christ true church. Human relations are just that human. Our realtionship with Christ surpasses all others.

[quote=JamesS]Well that is a very good article indeed, thankyou for linking it :slight_smile:
[/quote]

I’m glad you enjoyed it.

Well, I cannot deny that there are many who vote and believe in ways contrary to the Faith. But I have to stress that these are (gravely mistaken) individual opinions, not the teaching of the Catholic Church. Even our bishops, sadly, can fall to the temptation of being politically correct in order to retain their popularity. However, the beautiful thing about the Catholic Church is its hierarchy. It doesn’t stop with the bishops. Rather, we have the Pope, who is protected by the Holy Spirit from officially teaching heresy. Further, we have Tradition, which has not changed in 2000 years. Rogue priests and bishops may teach error, but we always have the true teaching of the Church to fall back on. To address your 2 specific points, here is the official teaching from the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

Abortion
2271 Since the first century the Church has affirmed the moral evil of every procured abortion. This teaching has not changed and remains unchangeable. Direct abortion, that is to say, abortion willed either as an end or a means, is gravely contrary to the moral law

Satan
2851 …evil is not an abstraction, but refers to a person, Satan, the Evil One, the angel who opposes God. The devil (dia-bolos) is the one who “throws himself across” God’s plan and his work of salvation accomplished in Christ.

Also, I think you are setting up an unfair comparison between your church and the Catholic Church. You cannot truly say your church is undivided, because you are still part of the Anglican tradition, and Anglicans all over the world continue to teach acceptance of homosexual acts, abortion, and a host of other moral evils. Your particular group may have their heads on straight, but I could just as easily claim the same for my parish, or even my diocese.

If you can acknowledge that praying to Our Blessed Mother is okay, then this should not really be an obstacle. A Catholic is not required to pray to anyone but Christ.

1. Only within the last decade really has the TAC come into its own, after many Priests put up with SO much abuse in Anglican parishes they left for the TAC. Some of the older ones had many health problems in their fight to keep the faith. Christianity is indeed a fighting faith, and i would feel im abandoning many men who have been very good to me.

Christianity is a fight for the Truth. If it turns out that the Catholic Church contains more truth than Traditional Anglicanism, it would honor your brothers more to seek it than turn your back on that truth. Either way, we have a responsibility to discern the best way to follow God.

Originally Posted by **JamesS **

James,
I recently finished reading “Witness to Hope” a biography of JPII written by George Weigel. In the book it states that the biggest obstacle separating communion between Rome and the Anglican Church is the issue of Ordination of Women Priests which started a few decades ago. How do you feel about this disagreement?

closed #12

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.