Blessed Mother question??

I was clicking around a catholic website, and came across a post called “Mary’s Justice”. What I’m wondering is about is this excerpt from a book that they used in the post (sorry if it’s a bit long!):

“St. Alphonsus (c. 1755): ‘In the year 1611, in the celebrated sanctuary of Mary in Montevergine, it happened that on the vigil of Pentecost the people who thronged there profaned that feast with balls, excesses, and immodest conduct, when a fire was suddenly discovered bursting forth from the house of entertainment where they were feasting, so that in less than an hour and a half it was consumed, and more than one thousand five hundred persons were killed. Five persons who remained alive affirmed upon oath, that they had seen the mother of God herself, with two lighted torches set fire to the inn.’ (The Glories of Mary, p. 659.)”

The excerpt kind of bothers me- I always thought Mary was one to show great mercy to sinners. Would she really go and burn a bunch of people like this, even if they were up to some serious troublemaking? It’s very hard for me to imagine her going and causing people to be killed. :eek: Also, sorry if this is a silly question, I hope I’m not being too silly for letting myself be troubled by this :o

…Five persons who remained alive affirmed upon oath, that they had seen the mother of God herself, with two lighted torches set fire to the inn.’

Don’t believe everything that you read on the internet.

Actually, that what the OP writes is in fact in the book; “The Glories of Mary” by Saint Alphonsus Liguori.

Peace, Mark

Should I say it? Don’t believe everything that you see in a book, either.

It is from the book titled “The Glories of Mary”
(Page numbers next to section titles; page 659 close to bottom; archive.org/stream/thegloriesofmary00liguuoft/thegloriesofmary00liguuoft_djvu.txt )

The excerpt kind of bothers me- I always thought Mary was one to show great mercy to sinners. Would she really go and burn a bunch of people like this, even if they were up to some serious troublemaking? It’s very hard for me to imagine her going and causing people to be killed. :eek: Also, sorry if this is a silly question, I hope I’m not being too silly for letting myself be troubled by this :o

Many visions express things symbolically. In this vision for example, seeing Mary with lit torches starting the fire could well mean that she was choosing to allow, or accept, the burning or her shrine by not interceding with God to miraculously prevent it.

There’s an interesting article in the last National Catholic Register where Nigerian Bishop Doeme described a vision of Our Lord that he had in October 2014. He relates: *“… He appeared as Jesus the Good Shepherd, and he was holding a sword with both hands. At this, I became jittery. I said, ‘Lord, what is it?’ He didn’t say anything; he just began to approach me, then reached down and gave me the sword, which turned into a Rosary. …" * ncregister.com/daily-news/nigerian-bishop-doeme-combats-boko-haram-with-rosary-battle-plan
This vision gave the meaning of the sword; many visions do not include an explanation of the symbols. A good example are the many visions recorded in the Book of Revelation.

Very sorry for the late reply! This makes a lot of sense actually. Thank you! :slight_smile:

It may be in the book but you are under no obligation to believe such things,

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.