Blessed Sacrament at home?

I’m trying to figure out one other thing I remember as a kid. Something that was in our house that looked like a monstrance (sp?) and whether or not it had communion in it I don’t know. It may not even be what I thought it was. Is there anything that would look similar to a monstrance for in the home? I’ve always been curious what exactly it was.

It probably was a First Class Relic in a reliquary.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reliquary

no one is ordinarly allowed to keep the Blessed Sacrament at home. The sacrament must be reposed in suitable tabernacle, permanently placed, in a church or oratory, and may not be taken anywhere else except with permission (as in being taken to the sick, a Mass in a home with bishop’s permission). There have been cases where private families were granted the privilege to reserve the Blessed Sacrament, where there was need (some of the saints who were virtual hermits at home for instance, in time of persecution where the sacrament was retained in private homes for benefit of sick or condemned.) those are some examples. A convent might be given permission to have an adoration chapel. Our grandkids Catholic school has just received that permission, even though they are not located on parish grounds, since they built a permanent chapel with a suitable tabernacle area.
But ordinarily no not in private families.

you may have seen a reliquary, an elaborate gold case that sometimes look like a monstrance, with the relic of a saint inside.

Unless, I wonder, do they have something that would be a monstrance, like this leftover maybe from a priest’s visit to someone that was in the hospital?

No, I really don’t think so…

Let me see if I can find a picture of a reliquary that looks like a monstrance…brb…

Church Supply Warehouse

Maybe I’m proving that I was gone 20 yrs. What do you call that which is holding the Eucharist? That’s what this object looked like. This is why I’m doing those courses online with KoC and trying to find other RCIA sites out there.

I know I SHOULD know these things but I don’t.

No, I think you understand.

A monstrance is larger than the reliquary that I linked in my previous post.

Go to the same website and search out monstrance, they look the same but a monstrance is larger.

It took me a little while to figure it out as well, until I saw a real reliquary in * real life *…ha!

Ok, so the monstrance holds the one the Priest would use during Mass and the reliquary would be for the smaller hosts that would be given to a parishioner? I told you I was sleeping in CCD & Confirmation the first time around. :cool: I proved it.

no a monstrance holds the blessed sacrement
a reliquary holds the relics of a saint

Unless, I wonder, do they have something that would be a monstrance, like this leftover maybe from a priest’s visit to someone that was in the hospital?

No.

Ok, so the monstrance holds the one the Priest would use during Mass and the reliquary would be for the smaller hosts that would be given to a parishioner?

**1, The priest does NOT use a monstrance during Mass.

1. Hosts would not be kept in a reliquary for any reason at all.**

Maybe it was just a souvenir or something, not the real thing but representing it. I know it’s not really anything important.

Yeah, this kid probably does need RCIA at some point.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.