Blessed Sacrament vs. other communions?

Maybe I am off to start with. See, I am still trying to learn the Catholic faith, so these words like Blessed Sacrament, Holy Eucharist, etc. are new to me.

If I am right, Holy Eucharist is communion, so is Blessed Sacrament. Correct me here, first.

My wife is reading Rome Sweet Home by Scott Hahn, and while she is being provided with answers to questions that she had, it is also leaving her with some questions that she didn’t have. She is asking me these questions and few I have asked here, but since we’re in the same boat, I figured this would be a good place to ask.

Since these words are words that I don’t hear a lot and some I’ve never heard, please use non-Catholic friendly words to help me understand. :slight_smile: Thanks!

The Catechism of the Catholic Church tells us some of the many names of the Sacrament of the Eucharist (CCC 1328-1332). They include:
[list]*]Eucharist, because it is an action of thanksgiving to God.
*]The Lord’s Supper, because of its connection with the supper which the Lord took with his disciples on the eve of his Passion and because it anticipates the wedding feast of the Lamb in the heavenly Jerusalem.
*]The Breaking of Bread, because Jesus used this rite, part of a Jewish meal, when as master of the table he blessed and distributed the bread, above all at the Last Supper.
*]The Eucharistic assembly, because the Eucharist is celebrated amid the assembly of the faithful, the visible expression of the Church.
*]The memorial of the Lord’s Passion and Resurrection.
*]The Holy Sacrifice, because it makes present the one sacrifice of Christ the Savior and includes the Church’s offering. The terms holy sacrifice of the Mass, “sacrifice of praise,” spiritual sacrifice, pure and holy sacrifice are also used, since it completes and surpasses all the sacrifices of the Old Covenant.
*]The Holy and Divine Liturgy, because the Church’s whole liturgy finds its center and most intense expression in the celebration of this sacrament; in the same sense we also call its celebration the Sacred Mysteries. We speak of the Most Blessed Sacrament because it is the Sacrament of sacraments. The Eucharistic species reserved in the tabernacle are designated by this same name.
*]Holy Communion, because by this sacrament we unite ourselves to Christ, who makes us sharers in his Body and Blood to form a single body. We also call it: the holy things (ta hagia; sancta)152 - the first meaning of the phrase “communion of saints” in the Apostles’ Creed - the bread of angels, bread from heaven, medicine of immortality,153 viaticum. . . .
*]Holy Mass (Missa), because the liturgy in which the mystery of salvation is accomplished concludes with the sending forth (missio) of the faithful, so that they may fulfill God’s will in their daily lives.[/list]

Clear as mud, right? :wink:

Most often, you will hear the terms Eucharist, Communion, and Blessed Sacrament used. Each title simply emphasizes a different aspect of the sacrament.

I can only imagine how difficult it is to figure out some of the Catholic lingo if you are unfamiliar with it. Coming here and asking questions is a good thing to do if you find yourself confused! :slight_smile:

Still a bit confused, but you helped me a bit with that post! Thanks!

A minor distinction not made in post # 2 might help. Communion, in this context, is the reception by the community of the Blessed Sacrament (aka Holy Eucharist).

Sorry for adding to the confusion! :blush: Sometimes I get a bit ahead of myself and post too much info!

Your thread title says “Blessed Sacrament vs. other communions”. Was your question about the difference between Communion in the Catholic Church as opposed to communion celebrated in other churches?

Hi Rodney,

In common parlance, the Eucharist is the name of one of the seven sacraments : Baptism, Confirmation, Eucharist, Reconciliation, Anointing of the Sick, Orders, Marriage.

It is also sometimes used to refer to the Mass : Eucharist at 8, 10:30 and 12.

Blessed Sacrament is mostly used to refer to the bread species kept outside the mass. The Blessed Sacrament is kept in the tabernacle. Or The Blessed Sacrament will be exposed from 8 to 10.

Is it clearer now?

Yes.

A little bit. I suppose the thing that got me, it that it is called Eucharist when I call it communion. I understand now that the Blessed Sacrament would be the bread because of it being the Body of Christ.

Again, it’s probably just a matter of the fact that I live in the Bible belt and everything is said simple and with a slow draw and I’m not used to hearing a different word. :slight_smile:

What about this?..

I am a man.

Some call me brother, teacher, husband, son, nephew, friend, Uncle, pain in the … you get the idea?

I am ONE person, with many titles… each title is respective to another person or persons.

The Eucharist is a title given to express the act of thanksgiving for what Christ has provided for us at the Mass.

The Blessed Sacrement title is used to express the fact that the sacrifice we recieve at Mass IS, in fact, the body blood, soul and divinity of our Blessed Savior.

The Lord’s Supper title is used to express that it was Jesus himself, who instituted this sacrement at the last meal he partook with his disciples and friends, to which He has invited us to partake in at EVERY Mass we attend and participate it. (Mass is not a spectator sport… its a team effort!.. we’re ALL in on the event!)

Hows that?.. better? ;]

Actually, that was very simple. Thanks!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.