Blessed Virgin Mary and her blue garments

In many Marian apparitions, she is often portrayed with blue sash, or blue robe.

What is the origin of this? Is it common for Jewish woman to wear it in the First Century?

Here is one image.

I remember somebody told me it was because her baby is a boy, and blue is a boy’s colour. I thought that was a really cute answer, and it works for me. :slight_smile:

So, when you see Mary wearing blue, you think of her son, Jesus. :wink:

But I think a real reason is because the children at Fatima saw Our Lady robed white with a blue mantle (sleeveless cloak).

I believe Israelites–not sure if it was just males or just priests–wore a blue edge and fringe on their tunics/robes.
Ravyn

Why does Mary always wear light blue?

Well, she doesn’t.

“The older, classic and more representative color is dark blue,” according to the Rev. Johann Roten, S.M, director of the Marian Library-International Marian Research Institute at the University of Dayton. “Mary’s dark blue mantle, from about 500 A.D., is of Byzantine origin and is the color of an empress.”

Blue has stayed in vogue, but red has also become a prominent color for Mary as represented by artists since the 10th century. Blue calls to mind the color of the skies (which is not only limited to light blue), and red is the color of kings, Roten says. “However, there are a great variety of blues and other colors for Mary,” he says. “For example, Flemish painters prefer blue, while German painters have a preference for red.”

Regarding Mary represented with a red mantle:

As to the red mantle worn by Our Lady – this isn’t so rare either. Rogier van der Weyden, Hans Memling, Lucas Cranach, Geertgen tot sin Jans, Jan van Eyck but also sometimes Eastern iconography (mosaic, Chora monastery, 14th c) shows Mary cloaked in a red mantle. True, the classical tradition shows her with a red robe and a blue mantle as for example almost all Raphael Madonnas and those inspired by Raphael (Nazarenes). The red color in iconography points (early on) to nobility and elevated state, and conveys sometimes in northern Renaissance, in particular, an anticipation of suffering and passion, especially when related to the devotion of the heart as seems to be the case with the Christ image.

Marian artist Beverly Stoller works from her “Theotokos” art studio in Fairfield, Conn. She says a recent interest in iconography has led her to discover a new color scheme for Mary, based on historical representation in icons. Icons of Mary often show her wearing a greenish-blue inner garment with a red outer garment, Stoller says.

My understanding was that blue is the colour of heavenliness, holiness or even divinity. And that in Eastern iconography red is the colour of humanity.

So Christ will often be portrayed in Eastern icons with a blue robe and red cloak/mantle, since his divine/heavenly nature assumed humanity, and the Theotokos with red robe and blue cloak/mantle (also to be seen in other depictions as Help of Christians and Our Lady of Guadalupe) since her human nature has been graced with heavenliness/holiness and touched by divinity.

I doubt this is where it came from, but I always associated her blue garments with her assumption into heaven. As the woman in the sky I think its quite appropriate.

Hi Mannyfit75,

Sorry to bump this thread from the past, but here is an interesting verse…

When the Ark was outside the Holy of Holies [when it was being transported] it was to be covered with a blue veil [Numbers 4:4-6]

Since we believe that Mary is the Ark of New Convenant, then perhaps that’s why we always see her wearing blue.

Just something my husband told me—

The “belt” around her waist tells us she is with child.

She is wearing a “belt” in the picture of Our Lady of Guadalupe too.

That depends on where the belt is on her body.

Our Lady of Guadalupe is surely pregnant.

Probably not unless she was rich. Good, colorfast dyes would have been expensive back then.

[quote="Charlie_Zeaiter, post:2, topic:74208"]
I remember somebody told me it was because her baby is a boy, and blue is a boy's colour. I thought that was a really cute answer, and it works for me. :)

So, when you see Mary wearing blue, you think of her son, Jesus. ;)

But I think a real reason is because the children at Fatima saw Our Lady robed white with a blue mantle (sleeveless cloak).

[/quote]

Actually, up until the last 100 years or so, blue was the colour for girls as it was considered passive, and pink for boys as it was considered more passionate. No one is sure why it switched round.

The color represented virginity for a long time. It also represents God's color. The one thing that it represents more than that, is that the Ark of the Covenant was covered with a blue cloth when it was moved from the tent in front of people. Amazingly fitting the the Ark of the New Covenant also has a blue veil/covering over it?

*Just noticed Charlie already addressed this, sorry for repeating the same information.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.