Blessing at Communion

Hello,

I am going to start RCIA this year probably in August I believe according to the Parish I have been attending and I have felt the call to join the Catholic Church for almost my entire life and, being raised Protestant, have a very deep knowledge of the Scriptures. I have studied very deeply the teachings of the Catholic Church and believe all of Her teachings to be true.

I have seen many times at mass people go up after the transubstantiation of the Body and Blood of Christ to receive a blessing, not the actual Eucharist. What are the practices of this and would I be eligible to approach the Priest for a blessing at that time? Also, how would I do that?

Thank you so much!

[quote="landon13, post:1, topic:319660"]
would I be eligible to approach the Priest for a blessing at that time? Also, how would I do that?

Thank you so much!

[/quote]

Yes. Approach the priest or deacon with your arms crossed over your chest. He will bless you. Only a priest or deacon though, and not an EMHC (Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion). EMHC's are laypeople who distribute communion, but of course cannot bless you.

Just be aware that not all Parishes have this practice. If you are in a different parish, and you don't know for sure that they permit this, you would be better to stay in the pew and pray an act of Spiritual Communion such as this (from EWTN site):

My Jesus,
I believe that You
are present in the Most Holy Sacrament.
I love You above all things,
and I desire to receive You into my soul.
Since I cannot at this moment
receive You sacramentally,
come at least spiritually into my heart. I embrace You as if You were already there and unite myself wholly to You. Never permit me to be separated from You.
Amen.

Just ask your priest. Our priest allows this, but others don't.

Welcome! I'm so happy for you, I too am a convert.
mlz

[quote="landon13, post:1, topic:319660"]
would I be eligible to approach the Priest for a blessing at that time? Also, how would I do that?

[/quote]

Don't. Please, just remain seated and do an Act of Spiritual Communion. It's a liturgical abuse to go and receive a blessing from a priest (or, God forbid, from a lay minister).

Please see the information Sticky at the top of this page under Liturgy and Sacraments. It goes into detail with an official position on the subject.

This topic has been discussed ad infinitum. You may also do a search of the website under the same subject matter.

My opinion? Don't. I waited 1 1/2 years until I learned and understood why it is so. I stayed in the pew and said my spiritual communion as others have suggested until I could worthily receive our Lord. It was worth it. Have patience, you won't regret it.
:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.