Blessing marriage question

Hi. My wife and I entered the Church earlier tonight. Our parish priest who we are very fond of is leaving to return home to India Monday. I was wondering if we would be able to ask him to bless our marriage (as we were married before becoming Catholic) before he left, or if it is an extensive process he wouldn’t be able to do on short notice. We don’t need a convalidation, we just thought it would be neat to have him bless our marriage. Thanks!

[quote="Eric09, post:1, topic:320995"]
Hi. My wife and I entered the Church earlier tonight. Our parish priest who we are very fond of is leaving to return home to India Monday. I was wondering if we would be able to ask him to bless our marriage (as we were married before becoming Catholic) before he left, or if it is an extensive process he wouldn't be able to do on short notice. We don't need a convalidation, we just thought it would be neat to have him bless our marriage. Thanks!

[/quote]

What you can ask him for is the Nuptial Blessing, which he can do that at any time.

You may be confusing the two terms "have marriage blessed" and "convalidation" because they are used interchangeably by Catholics. Having a marriage blessed is a Catholic colloquialism for a convalidation. And, as you have already rightly pointed out, you do not require a convalidation as you are already validly married.

But, all married couples may receive the Nuptial Blessing if they have not received it before. This is simply a prayer said over the couple. I am sure your priest would be pleased to do this.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.