Blessing of Chalice

What is procedure for the blessing of a Chalice that is being given to one who is being ordained a priest?

He says Mass.

No, that is not exactly right. I have been told that the Chalice is to be blessed at a mass before ordination so the newly ordained can use it at his first mass.

Check with the one who is being ordained or with the master of ceremonies for the ordination or the seminary.

Chalice is blessed usually one day before first mass by the newly ordained priest himself - after ordination of course.

Fr. in Christo,
Attempto

Thank you to all who replied.

Interesting information. My Father was given a Chalice and Paten from the Knights of Columbus. He reached I think it was fourth degree or the highest, whatever degree it was. I was very young when this happened and he passed not long after that. My brother has this now and at the time was entertaining the thought of entering seminary. He never entered and it seems sad to me that such a beautiful object is not being used for its intended purpose. Could this be given to an about to be ordained? It would honor my father’s memory I feel for it to be used in a Mass.
I apologize for I know this is off subject of this thread but it seems you all may be able to give some advice.
Gods peace.

[quote="JerrySeibert, post:7, topic:320632"]
Could this be given to an about to be ordained? It would honor my father's memory I feel for it to be used in a Mass.
I apologize for I know this is off subject of this thread but it seems you all may be able to give some advice.
Gods peace.

[/quote]

Yes absolutely. Enquire with your local diocese or seminary to see if they have any seminarians nearing ordination. You could also donate it to a parish.

[quote="JerrySeibert, post:7, topic:320632"]
Interesting information. My Father was given a Chalice and Paten from the Knights of Columbus. He reached I think it was fourth degree or the highest, whatever degree it was. I was very young when this happened and he passed not long after that. My brother has this now and at the time was entertaining the thought of entering seminary. He never entered and it seems sad to me that such a beautiful object is not being used for its intended purpose. Could this be given to an about to be ordained? It would honor my father's memory I feel for it to be used in a Mass.
Gods peace.

[/quote]

That would be a great idea to donate! Chalice and Paten sets are very expensive and there are poor parishes out there who are in great need of them. Contact your diocesan office to see if any parishes are in need or the parish offices themselves. God bless and Happy Easter!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.