Blessing of the Incarnation dome at the National Shrine

Did anyone else see the blessing of the Incarnation dome at the Bascilica of the Immaculate Conception tonight? It was live on EWTN from 5 to 6 Eastern. I wish I’d known about it in advance so we could have gone down there for it! Archbishop Wuerl just about dumped an entire box of incense in the bowl for the blessing! He seemed to really be enjoying the smell. I love incense also and can just imagine how beautiful the Shrine smelled after that! We couldn’t watch the entire Mass since we had a family dinner party. I wonder if they will replay it?

I saw only a part of it. The Knight proclaming the epistle made me shudder. As lectors, we were taught to never take a paper up to the ambo to read; we are only supposed to read from the Lectionary. Furthermore, we needed to have regard for the written Word of God and reading from a sheet of paper wasn’t kosher.

The cantor had an incredible voice. He was a high point. Now, for those of you who doubted me (in a previous post) regarding where the psalm was to be sung from, the cantor sang the psalm from the AMBO. I need to get my GIRM back from a priest who borrowed it. Once I bring it back, I’ll post the citation.

Archbishop Wurl’s homily left something to be desired. Although he really did a good job explaining the importance of the Incarnation dome and how it reflected the life of Christ, I think that he could have used this weekend’s Gospel to bring home the point about how the earthly basilica “reflects” the heavenly Jerusalem. The Gospel begins with the 12 marveling at how beautiful the Temple was and then Jesus tells them that not one stone will be left upon another. I think that if Archbishop Wurl began with that theme and used it as a compare and contrast, that would have worked.

I went to Mass at our Cathedral and there happened to be a wedding at the vigil. The Sunday readings were used and the administrator incorporated the nuptial celebration into the reading. It was quite good.

My Dad, who is a past District Deputy, Grand Knight and Faithful Navigator was happy that the Knights didn’t position the Fourth Degree in the front pews and, instead, opted to get the guys seated one by the aisle. He got that posture done several years ago, although there was dissent from the old guard. My dad told them, “Look, they’re here to participate in the Mass, not look at you.”

lol… I noticed that too. I’m not big on the incense, but…

I am pretty sure he only brought the paper up to keep his place in the Lectionary (reading line by line). That’s what it looked like to me.

Oh, so true! He was amazing.

Nope. He was reading it from the paper because it was unfurled. In fact, you could here the sound of the paper as it was being unfolded.

Yes, the cantor who was there when we went for the pilgramage also had an amazing voice. I wonder if he is the standard cantor?

Archbishop Wurl’s homily left something to be desired. Although he really did a good job explaining the importance of the Incarnation dome and how it reflected the life of Christ, I think that he could have used this weekend’s Gospel to bring home the point about how the earthly basilica “reflects” the heavenly Jerusalem. The Gospel begins with the 12 marveling at how beautiful the Temple was and then Jesus tells them that not one stone will be left upon another. I think that if Archbishop Wurl began with that theme and used it as a compare and contrast, that would have worked.

We heard only the very end of the homily and then saw the blessing before we had to leave.

My Dad, who is a past District Deputy, Grand Knight and Faithful Navigator was happy that the Knights didn’t position the Fourth Degree in the front pews and, instead, opted to get the guys seated one by the aisle. He got that posture done several years ago, although there was dissent from the old guard. My dad told them, “Look, they’re here to participate in the Mass, not look at you.”

Yes, I noticed that seating also. It worked to have them all right in the aisle, but I think it would have been nice of them to have taken one step so they weren’t standing directly in front of the pews. You could see the other people craning around them to see the procession.

I was also suprised at how few people were actually there. It seems like this Mass wasn’t well ‘advertised’ since we had just been to the Shrine and didn’t know this was happening.

Don’t know which thread but hereis the relevant citation from the GIRM:

61: …the psalmist, or the cantor of the Psalm, sings the verses of the Psalm from the ambo or another suitable place.

309: …From the ambo only the readings, the responsorial Psalm, and the Easter Proclamation (Exsultet) are to be proclaimed; it may be used also for giving the homily and for announcing the intentions of the Prayer of the Faithful. The dignity of the ambo requires that only a minister of the word should go up to it…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.